1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Where do you purchase? I could get it, and use this bad one as a backup
I know there are a couple guys that sell them on Facebook, I would assume they can be found on ebay as well, but I cant verify that off hand.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Finally found and fixed my speedometer wiring issue.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Terminals and wiring argh!

So from the get go there’s nothing in my truck that didn’t have some sort of corrosion. Solder and specialty tools have been deployed and some bandaids, cause you’ll normally end up cut at some point doing this.
Started with a hesitation to start now I am replacing my 2/0 wiring with new stuff and getting to the rehabilitation of all other power related components. While I am attacking this so far this is what I’m up to. Additionally I am thinking of figuring out if I want to change this relay out to another style, and possibly adding a small cap bank to aid components along with lights.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-d99697cb-5a5f-4aff-9257-58bca5dd50ff.jpeg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-da31e7b0-a04d-4ab2-bfc5-31b4fa93da2b.jpeg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-46270aaf-7858-4ecf-b63d-2890cf60f9f6.jpeg  
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn

Leslie Gulch, Oregon

Chickahominy, Oregon

Steens Mountains, Oregon
Trooper, I think your blog was the first 4 door AlphaGen Cummins conversion I saw. I knew I had to have my own. Dude that was like 10 years ago. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I installed a pair of Hella horns. The original horns got lost during the 12 years it took to get the paint done.
thrashingcows (07-22-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I ,, threated to sell it ,, can't get any power to the cab ( dome ) lite or any of the other inside lites ( 90 d350 42" extnd. cab w/ inside over head lites ) all fuses " good ". Was going to pull the door sws ,,"HOW " ,, been driving my 91.5 d250 the last 2-3 years ,, Yep! a rat moved in ,, found a roll of paper towels chewed up . Checked the "PINK " wire out of the back of fuse block ,goes to a 4-5 wire plug comes out purple w/ stripe goes under carpet ,"Y's at back of drivers seat ,, now here's where it get's spooky ,, when the cab was extended ( back in 90 ) someone used any color of wire or size they could find to make the splices . No power on any of the wires ,," has my lite sw went south " dash lites ,sigl. ,brk. lites bk-up lites ,high& low beam ,,even the lite under the hood " they all work " ( The back seat is on separate circuit ,, push a sw. it makes down into a bed ,, ya! neat ) will try again tomorrow.

coffee's ready ,,whosdunit.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I'mmm ,, Back ,, wasn't a rat chew ,, the wire that feeds the cab ( dome ) lite was broke at the old splice ,, ( made back in 90 ) had to pull the inside wall of the extended cab to find it ,, but life is good !!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.
thrashingcows (07-26-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Gave Patches a bath...first time in months...I feel bad neglecting it the way I do but just so much on my plate right now I just don't have the time to keep the Ol' girl in tip top shape. I have a bunch of stuff that needs redoing, mostly painting flaking and surface rust setting in from the hard winters, be nice once the shop is close to being finished then I can take Patches off the road for a few months and catch up on all the neglected things. Also changed the oil filter at the 5000km point on this oil usage interval.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (08-03-2018), NJTman (08-03-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Transmission things

After having the torque converter go out completely on my truck to where I had a hard time moving it in the driveway I decided to convert it back to a manual from the 47rh. I wanted to just have the 47rh rebuilt, but local shops wanted ~5k to rebuild it and I don’t have the time or space to learn how to rebuild one on my own. Except now with some of the shipping issues with the transfer case I may have had time, but no enclosed place to do it in. I’ll touch on that later.

So so I found a nv4500 for too good a deal to pass up! And yes it is a Dodge unit with 29 spline output. I was going to go with a Getrag, but found the nv4500 and was in a hurry to get my truck going again. So much for that as UPS lost my transfer case that I bought. The transfercase is a rebuilt one that I bought from a guy that I’m not sure if he’s on here or not. The nv4500 is a remanufactured unit with all new bolts and everything. I also got a 400hp/900tq organic clutch from Valair. I know there will be some that say I should have got a South Bend , but I’ve been around a lot of high horsepower trucks wth Valair clutches and have been impressed with them. I got a shift boot from Stronghold Shift Boots also. I did get hydraulics from South Bend though, so I have upgraded hydraulics. I also got a set of new pedals that some guy in Montana is making for $320 shipped. I decided that they were worth the extra $50 over used pedals. I’m very happy with how they seem to be built and how they look.

I decided I needed to pull the seat and carpet out to patch the hole from when the truck was a Getrag before the P.O. swapped it and then found lots of holes from self tapping screws. I also found paint bubbling in spots, so used a wire wheel on that and sprayed it with rust converter and some rustoleum paint. Doesn’t match, but it will be covered up anyway. The carpet about fell to pieces when I pulled it out, so it went in the garbage with all its holes and stains and I got MIP flooring from LMC that will go in once I get the floor holes patched. Then I’ll measure for the new hole and cut that out and put the transmission in. The MIP flooring comes with insulation and he rubber should help with stuff too. I’m also leaving the rubber/insulation that is in the back half of the cab from factory. I also pulled out all the wiring from the automatic, but left the switches for now. I might use those for some aftermarket lights down the road.

On Thursday I finally got my buddy to help me after work get the transmission out. I don’t have a transmission jack, but he did, and I didn’t want to be messing with something that heavy by myself.

Since then I’ve been working on cleaning all the grime off the crossmembers and repainting the ones that the paint had come off. I still need to hurry and go out there and try and unbolt the flexplate. I think I might wait for that until I twist a buddy’s arm enough to bring his welder and weld up the old holes in the floor. Once that is done I will paint that and put interior back together.

Since I don’t have the transfer case as UPS is taking their sweet time looking for it after they lost it, I ordered satin black Chassis Saver and I’m going to clean all the grease off my frame and coat it while I have all the space from the transmission being out. Doesn’t look like I’ll be able to quite get everything on the frame up towards the front by the engine, but I’m going to get as much as I possibly can. Frame just has surface rust starting in spots from just being a desert truck, but I’ll likely be in Northern Utah here in a couple years for college and want to minimize the opportunity that rust has to condemn my truck. It will look better too! Someday I’ll take the cab off the frame and make sure the whole frame is perfect. That will be when I have another vehicle though. Anyway, after I get the frame coated I’ll put the transmission in and hopefully the transfer case is here by then.

I’ve got to figure out how to get my exhaust apart too before I can put it back in. I have the Diamond Eye exhaust and made the mistake of using the supplied clamps. I had to get pretty creative on how to get it out of there since the 2 pieces around the t-case were stick together, and then the muffler back was stuck too. I’m thinking I’ll have to borrow my neighbors torch and get it just hot enough that I can pull it apart. Then I’ll put it back together with the band clamps I got for it and just use the hangers from the Diamond Eye kit for hangers.

Now for pictures!

The following 2 users liked this post by 1stGEN'93:
edwinsmith (08-04-2018), ZAAR (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Good work, I hope they find the TC. One suggestion, if it is not supported from above, You may want to support the rear of the engine. You may get some stress on the mounts that they are not designed to take...Mark
Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Good work, I hope they find the TC. One suggestion, if it is not supported from above, You may want to support the rear of the engine. You may get some stress on the mounts that they are not designed to take...Mark
I just put a piece of 2x4 between the back of the motor and the firewall to support the engine. And how can they loose a 150lb transfer case!!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I just put a piece of 2x4 between the back of the motor and the firewall to support the engine. And how can they loose a 150lb transfer case!!
I’ll have to get a 2x4 and put it in there. I’m not sure how they lose a transfer case that was actually 215 pounds final ship weight. It was heavier, because it already had the adapter and shifter linkage and bracket for the nv4500.
thrashingcows (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I knew a ups driver and he told me that they call it a back door delivery, back door of the facility...Mark
Old 08-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
that's the trouble with UPS/USPS/FedX all leaving stuff at the front door in plain site. We specify to have stuff dropped off at our back door, out of sitre and out of the weather, but half the time they still leave it out front.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 1st gen if you want to get rid of the auto you have there let me know lol I know a guy. (Points at self) that needs a core just like that.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?