1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I ran that truck for almost 5 years. It rode really good. Toss a couple mounted tractor trailer tires in the bed and I could go any where in the snow.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
[QUOTE=Jim Lane;3340975}

What year did they stop using the Ram head,
1989?[/QUOTE]
I have one on my '92 yard plow that looks factory.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
they started back using the Ram head in 81 after stoping some time in the 50's, not sure why some trucks had one and some didn't unless it was an option.

I have seen gas and diesel trucks that are what I believe all original with and without.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have one on my '92 yard plow that looks factory.
It was probably put on after the fact, Ollie. That 91.5 I just sold didn’t have one. I believe, the ram head stopped after the 90 model year.

Does your ram head flex on a spring base? I believe that was the original style. The solid ones with no flex came aftermarket. I have an aftermarket from JC Whitney, with the eyes that light up in red, that is tied into the headlight circuit.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM

I was thinking about Rebal today, has anybody seen anything of him since last Jan ?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I was thinking about Rebal today, has anybody seen anything of him since last Jan ?
If it’s the Rebal that says he’s from Commiefornia, land of the fruits and nuts, he’s just down the road from me in a town an hour away. Last I talked to him was last year. I talk to his son every once in awhile. Rebal actually got out of the excavation business and started up his own diesel repair shop.

If you need to get a hold of him, I can call him and have him contact you. PM me your contact info, Dar
Old 12-27-2017, 09:57 AM

I don't really need anything, I just get to thinking/reminiscing around this time of year about guys that used to be on the forums alot, and the ones I haven't heard from in a while.

thanks Ragu.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Rebal is a great guy. He actually did my first KDP job on one of my Dodge’s that I sold, and has done the 366 spring upgrade to two of my Dodge’s. Getting together at his place is where I met Papecat, too.
Last I was over his place, him and his son hired Jefferson State Diesel to come out and do Dino runs at $75 for 3 runs. It was a blast, as he did it all up with a full on bar-b-que, refreshments, all that. His place was loaded with Dodge trucks, of all years, each taking turns on that Dino. I remember meeting that kid that won the Diesel power challenge one year, can’t remember his name. He worked for Jefferson at the time.

What cracked me up was some of the third gens I saw, with major bling all over. I mean, the underside of the trucks, drivelines, frame parts, all chromed out. When I asked one of the “kids” that owned a fully blinged out truck what he did for a living, to be able to afford that, he said he was a bank teller, and took out a college loan to build his truck. None of that money went towards college, and he himself didn’t go to college, lol. Just bling for the truck! To each his own, I guess.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
It was probably put on after the fact, Ollie. That 91.5 I just sold didn’t have one. I believe, the ram head stopped after the 90 model year.

Does your ram head flex on a spring base? I believe that was the original style. The solid ones with no flex came aftermarket. I have an aftermarket from JC Whitney, with the eyes that light up in red, that is tied into the headlight circuit.
I have seen the fixed units, but I know my plow truck has the spring loaded one as I bump it when brushing of the snow before plowing every time.
Over the years, I have owned at least a dozen '89-'90's that did not have a Ram's head. I have also owned a dozen '89-'90's that did have the Ram's head as well.
I have owned about a half dozen '91.0-'92 that did have a Ram's head. The majority of those years didn't.
I am not sure I recall every seeing one on a '93 off the top of my head.
These Dodge trucks where a mix of 150s, 250s, 350s and RCs, but most where 250 and 350 12V trucks.

I am guessing it was an option from the dealer.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Oliver ... just how many years are yiu talking about ... 30+ dodge trucks in ???? years!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Oliver ... just how many years are yiu talking about ... 30+ dodge trucks in ???? years!!!
About 25 years. Many of them have been non running /non road worthy heaps that I bought just for a specific part[s] I need for my builds.
A rusty, junk '93 Ramcharger that doesn't run I bought last year comes to mind.
I bought it for the rear fiberglass hatch that was in great shape that I wanted for my '89 RC. It was the only piece of the body that could be re-used, the rest you could poke you finger through.
It also had decent spice colored, though cigarette burned, bucket seats and console I need for a '93 D-250 build that is a winter or two out. I looked for that spice colored console for two years.
The big seller was the rear axle my good Dodge friend and neighbor needs for his '87 RC build. The soiled tightey whitey that was in the back came for free.
That truck did not have a Ram's head which is too bad as my buddy with the '87 RC build needed one.
We found one at the Carlisle car show though last year.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Goose
how about this one TC?

I like that one....but only because it is on a 30-40's dodge truck most likely. That type of hood ornament belongs on those early vehicles. My 48 Desoto I sold a couple years ago had a flying lady hood ornament.

The 46-48 Desoto also had an acrylic version with a light down below so it would light up when the headlights were turned on!!

The following users liked this post:
Blue Goose (12-27-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
What did I do to mine today? I ordered new lower window seals from J.C. Whitney and then after a run to the dump I decided that driving 220 miles without fueling up without a working fuel gauge was far enough. So I decided I would fill it up at the next station and calculate mileage. I nearly killed over dead when I saw the number. I drove 228 miles exactly by the time I got to the station and it took 18.306 gallons. So I took miles and divided it by gallons and I only got 12.46 m.p.g. I can’t figure out how I got that bad of mileage as about 200 miles of that was highway driving at 65-70 mph, but I guess I do live where it seems everywhere I go I’m going up a steep hill. I still was expecting better than what I got. Truck got tuned for economy when I had a tune up done by someone that has been working on these trucks for at least 30 years. I don’t have gauges yet so I haven’t messed with the pump. I just was hoping for better mileage than that. Anywho, after I get the window seals after the new year I will have my windows re-tinted as the old tint has bubbled and gotten scratched by who know what. It makes it hard to see out the side windows at times so it is a safety concern. I need to save up for a piston lift pump too.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Tried to tackle rear axle seals today. It was going well until I realized the axle nut was way bigger then anything I had (what size is it by the way?). So after going to every parts store with no success in finding it, my buddy and I went cro-magnon on the thing as delicately as possible. We managed to remove it with a hammer and screwdriver without mangling the nut too badly. Then the drum started to fall apart as we tried to remove it. So called it a day and have ordered drums and what not to redo everything back there.

Parts guy said there were a few options for bearings and what not. So I need to track down part numbers so I dont have to payout for more then I need.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
What did I do to mine today? I ordered new lower window seals from J.C. Whitney and then after a run to the dump I decided that driving 220 miles without fueling up without a working fuel gauge was far enough. So I decided I would fill it up at the next station and calculate mileage. I nearly killed over dead when I saw the number. I drove 228 miles exactly by the time I got to the station and it took 18.306 gallons. So I took miles and divided it by gallons and I only got 12.46 m.p.g. I can’t figure out how I got that bad of mileage as about 200 miles of that was highway driving at 65-70 mph, but I guess I do live where it seems everywhere I go I’m going up a steep hill. I still was expecting better than what I got. Truck got tuned for economy when I had a tune up done by someone that has been working on these trucks for at least 30 years. I don’t have gauges yet so I haven’t messed with the pump. I just was hoping for better mileage than that. Anywho, after I get the window seals after the new year I will have my windows re-tinted as the old tint has bubbled and gotten scratched by who know what. It makes it hard to see out the side windows at times so it is a safety concern. I need to save up for a piston lift pump too.
Fill out your signature with your truck stats so we can see what you got.....maybe we can spot something that might be the reason for your low fuel economy? Even on winter fuel up north here, and lots of idling due to the arctic cold, I still get 15-17mpgs, Summer I see between 20-22mpgs, running around town.

Make sure you get your tint done professionally at a glass shop....the bubbling is generally due to the poor quality of a "due it yourself" kit.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?