1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
**** that sucks....and just weeks after getting the new rig! Glad you are OK and that there was a helpful home owner in the area that help prove your case.

I had the help of a home owner many years ago too. Was driving my 69 Charger at the time on a permit, and was at a friends house for a little party. I knew the permit ran out at midnight so I left the party about 11:30 so I would be home before it expired. Well it was raining when I got to the party but then the temps dropped and it froze to shear black ice.....didn't realize this until I came out of the driveway and the Charger shifted to 2nd and it spun out, took out a mail box and I ended up in the ditch backwards.

Police were ignorant and tried to say I was driving with an expired permit, but the home owner came out and said he was watching a specific TV program and confirmed that the accident happened when I said it did. Still it crunched the pass rear quarter....
The following users liked this post:
Blue Goose (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Goose
I'm sore, but OK. I drove the truck home. Hood looks OK, but won't open. Had the best condition grill I ever had......clean fender, beautiful bumper. Thought it would be worse.
Glad you're okay. Truck is fixable. Body injury to you, doesn't go as well.

I'm sure Ollie can get you parts if need arises.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
he's already offered! great guy.
Bob L (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Mr. Postman made a USA made delivery today. Get to check it out this week.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0623181413-1-1024x894.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0623181410-1-1024x768.jpg  
mknittle (07-01-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Picked my truck up from the alignment shop on Friday, man the thing drives much better. After rebuilding the front end, no more steering wheel shake and hopefully no more wobble. Truck also runs a few degrees cooler after finally installing a fan shroud too.
The following 2 users liked this post by peckens:
mknittle (07-01-2018), thrashingcows (06-24-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Today I started getting my replacement truck bed ready for mounting. I was planning fixing it up and repainting it, unfortunately my boss and I had a disagreement regarding my safety so now my wife and I have to find a new place to live (housing was included in pay) and new jobs in a very short amount of time.

Fortunately, we have nothing tieing us down to this area so we can move and work just about anywhere. Just got to find the jobs first.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
I’ve been doing many things the past while. I had my 47rh destroy the torque converter which most always send clutch material through the transmission and requires a rebuild. I don’t have the $$$ it would cost to rebuild the auto, so I have been gathering parts to swap to a manual. I was going to go with a Getrag (what the truck originally had), but I found way too good of a deal on a nv4500, so I got it instead. It is a remanufactured transmission so I should be good to go with it. I also got a Valair 400hp 900lb-ft clutch, master/slave from Genos, shifter tower kit, shifter handle, a bellhousing on the way, and a transfer case on the way. I still need to get a coupler for between the transmission and transfer case. The shifter linkage and the adapter for between the transmission and transfer case is included with the transfer case Igor. It is supposed to ship tomorrow or Tuesday I believe. I ordered pedals off of eBay that somebody is making new for these trucks for $320 shipped, so that beat the $270 shipped I was finding used units for in my book since they are new.

When my 47rh went out I thought about putting the Allison AT545 I have laying around and actually everything to put it in as well, but decided I wanted overdrive. They seem to be a awesome transmission if you get a good converter for them, but still don’t have overdrive. So unless they made 2.56 gears for the Dana axles it wasn’t going to work for me wanting to be able to do 80 on the interstate since that is the speed limit here. Maybe someday I’ll have something that is more just a toy to put it in.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Do you have the bracket up under the dash that the clutch hydro clips into? Also you will need an adapter for the cross member/tranny mount...AA has them it's just a piece of box tubing, you can also get the TC shifter bracket from AA as well they offer one for regular shifter and the later 92/93 gated shifter....is your current shifter gated?
Old 07-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Mr. Postman made a USA made delivery today. Get to check it out this week.
That's the one I got. I never think about it, so it works.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
I’ve been doing many things the past while. I had my 47rh destroy the torque converter which most always send clutch material through the transmission and requires a rebuild. I don’t have the $$$ it would cost to rebuild the auto, so I have been gathering parts to swap to a manual. I was going to go with a Getrag (what the truck originally had), but I found way too good of a deal on a nv4500, so I got it instead. It is a remanufactured transmission so I should be good to go with it. I also got a Valair 400hp 900lb-ft clutch, master/slave from Genos, shifter tower kit, shifter handle, a bellhousing on the way, and a transfer case on the way. I still need to get a coupler for between the transmission and transfer case. The shifter linkage and the adapter for between the transmission and transfer case is included with the transfer case Igor. It is supposed to ship tomorrow or Tuesday I believe. I ordered pedals off of eBay that somebody is making new for these trucks for $320 shipped, so that beat the $270 shipped I was finding used units for in my book since they are new.

When my 47rh went out I thought about putting the Allison AT545 I have laying around and actually everything to put it in as well, but decided I wanted overdrive. They seem to be a awesome transmission if you get a good converter for them, but still don’t have overdrive. So unless they made 2.56 gears for the Dana axles it wasn’t going to work for me wanting to be able to do 80 on the interstate since that is the speed limit here. Maybe someday I’ll have something that is more just a toy to put it in.
Go twin stick on the transfer case shifters you wont regret it. They are soooo much easier to shift and you get 2WD lo for backing or just a rough spot that a slower speed would be nice
Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Do you have the bracket up under the dash that the clutch hydro clips into? Also you will need an adapter for the cross member/tranny mount...AA has them it's just a piece of box tubing, you can also get the TC shifter bracket from AA as well they offer one for regular shifter and the later 92/93 gated shifter....is your current shifter gated?
The bracket is still there under the dash to my delight. I had seen the box tubing people were using, so I figured I could figure that out myself. The transfer case I bought from a guy that parts out these truck and he said it already has that bracket and all the linkage. He said the only thing missing is the actual handle, so I’m just going to use mine. Not sure if the current setup is gated or not. What’s the difference?
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

The bracket is still there under the dash to my delight. I had seen the box tubing people were using, so I figured I could figure that out myself. The transfer case I bought from a guy that parts out these truck and he said it already has that bracket and all the linkage. He said the only thing missing is the actual handle, so I’m just going to use mine. Not sure if the current setup is gated or not. What’s the difference?
Unless the TC shifter and linkage was already used on a NV4500 then you will need to either buy, or make a bracket, and most likely fab up some shifter linkage....I just ordered the kit from AA...not too bad a set-up but the shifter linkage did require some added bushing to stop from rattling, and it does look a little on the weak side, but has functioned well in the 4 years since I installed it.

The difference between them is simply the earlier style is just a straight shifter on a pivot shaft.....forward and back into all the TC gears, where as the gated shifter has notches and you have to move the shifter either in or out to get it to go into the desired gear.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Unless the TC shifter and linkage was already used on a NV4500 then you will need to either buy, or make a bracket, and most likely fab up some shifter linkage....I just ordered the kit from AA...not too bad a set-up but the shifter linkage did require some added bushing to stop from rattling, and it does look a little on the weak side, but has functioned well in the 4 years since I installed it.

The difference between them is simply the earlier style is just a straight shifter on a pivot shaft.....forward and back into all the TC gears, where as the gated shifter has notches and you have to move the shifter either in or out to get it to go into the desired gear.
The seller said that it was all advanced adapters parts for a nv4500, so I’m hoping it is the case and that it will bolt up without issue. The only thing I still need to get is the coupler to go between the output on the transmission and the transfer case. I’m hoping that my local transfer case/driveline/transmission parts shop will have the coupler. Otherwise I’ll just order one online.

Im gonna say that my current shifter is gated as I have to move the shifter passenger to go into 4 low. 2 wheel and 4 high are towards the driver’s side. Maybe the new transfer case and linkage will be different though.
thrashingcows (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Installed my KC aux lights over the weekend. Need to cleanup how I ran the wires better. Its simply amazing how much brighter these lights are versus stock headlights. Gonna do Headlight Relays next.

Also what is the sliding door in the drivers side kick panel about? Never noticed it until I was pulling the wires through the firewall for the lights.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
The drivers side sliding door is the cool vent option for us guys that don't have A/C.
Between that and the triangular vent window, I am happy on all but the hottest VT weather days.

The older Dodge trucks had a slide open lower vent on the passenger side as well.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?