General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice

Alright guys,

After YEARS of searching I have found the much sought after, much coveted 98 12V Quadcab 4X4 shortbox. My dream truck and my favorite color to boot (minus some barb wire scratches). The problem is that its on a private lot so they want too much for it, in my opinion. They cannot/will not give me the previous owners phone number so I can verify maintenance info.

The truck is in quite good shape....probably seen a bit of farming service though. Oil is dirty, but not too bad. It has a Lubrifiner(??) oil filter on it??? Ive never heard of that oil filter but Id suspect its from a quicky change place. The engine runs pretty smooth doesnt seem to be leaking oil and isnt a #53 block. I havent drove a lot of 12V's so have nothing to compare it to. The coolant is nice and green. Front end is completely SHOT (the usual: ball joints, tie rods, track bar) - got under there and moved the tie rod by hand. The truck wanders like crazy and probably shouldnt be on the road. Anyway, supposed to be a thousand bucks to fix that and they are supposed to do it. The milage is sitting at 108 k miles. Also, the muffler is rattling, but Id want a 4 or 5 inch staight pipe anyway - so thats not a big deal.

Truck has been safety inspected and I would suspect they probably wouldnt be open to a private inspection. They move a few trucks on this lot and if I dont buy this one it'll be gone quick.

Should I be afraid of this truck? Would you buy it? Ive NEVER bought a truck from a lot and just dont know what to do.

Thanks.

ED - I posted this here instead of in the 12V forum in hopes of getting a bit more traffic and opinions - could ya leave it for a few days before moving it? thanks.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Doesn't seem too scary to me. Does Carfax work in the frozen North, or does Canada have something similar? That'll tell you if it's a salvage title (rebuilt wreck, flood damage, etc).
Old 10-03-2004, 12:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Wannadiesel. I'd check it out and if you can get your $$ where you are satisfied, I'd probably get it. Seems you have identified the most worrisome points, but also check the front case for the KDP. Sounds alot like mine condition wise. Good luck if you get it.

Mine had 104k on it when I bought it. Drove it about 150 miles on the "test drive" and pushed it as hard as I could trying to find out anything.

Hope it works out for you.

Ed
Old 10-03-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used luberfiner filters once, got it from a local diesel repair shop. In my exp never trust what a dealer says about it,1 owner, bla, bla bla, make your own judgements. They typically get them from a auction, brought in from somewhere else, and have no real info on past history. If you settle on any repairs as part of the deal make sure you get in writing. Unfortunatly as you say, if you dont jump on it, it will be gone soon. Good luck on your dream rig.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Sounds like a good buy .... especially if the seller is willing to fix the problems you identified. Good Luck
Old 10-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We should get together, you could look over my machine or drive it too for some comparison..

I Pm' d ya...
Old 10-03-2004, 03:16 PM

If the front end needs that much work, I would try to get it at a discount price and have done/do the work myself. You would probably use better components that would make the truck better than it was new.

I didn't see a price listed, but if it is your dream truck, make the best deal you can and make it happen.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 PM

Keep in mind that the Luberfiner name has been around for many years. They supply a lot of by pass filters for the big trucks. My question to you is "How do you feel about the truck"? If you feel OK with it, then see if you can get a carfax on it and have fun.
Tom
Old 10-03-2004, 04:56 PM

thanks for that info Tom - I was not aware that was a quality filter. I really feel that the truck is in fine shape other than the trashed front end and exhaust. I dont think we have carfax up here but can check if its ever been written off. I doubt very much if that is the case.

My feeling is that the 12V is a very tough engine and and is used extensively in farming & construction equipment and throughout the third world - more than likely, the engine is probably in fine shape. Only have a few hours left to decide.

Keep the opinions coming guys.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As we discussed, its all fixable stuff you have found. Some of which you want to upgrade anyway (exhaust, clutch, track bar)

I'm with Tom, your gut is a good indicator of whether its a good deal or not. My gut told me to move in this one when I saw it. Glad I did 'cause I haven't seen many since. Conversely when I toured southern AB looking for a truck with my father-in-law, sat in a few nice trucks, but my gut just wasn't in it.

Sounds like a good project machine... Hmm..tough decision...
Old 10-03-2004, 08:46 PM

Let me ask you this, Do you think you will find another one that meets all your specs??? For less money too????? I think you know where I'm going with this. If you like the truck and you feel comfortable with it..........................GO FOR IT!!!
Tom
Old 10-03-2004, 09:08 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
I was under the impression that in Canada by law they had to supply the name of the previous owner if you asked for it. Personally, I would NEVER buy a vehicle from a lot if I did not first contact the previous owner. The fact that they will not give you the previous owners name raises a huge red flag for me. What are they trying to hide? Obtaining the previous owners name has always worked well for me in the past. Contacted the owner for one vehicle I bought and not only did he give the cars entire history but asked if I wanted to come to his house and remove all the stuff he had accumulated over the years for that car, like another engine and transmission, OEM service manual, wheels, tires etc. That was a good deal.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM

Stan, the Govt passed a new privacy law in the last year that prevents this.

There is some weird stuff going on, for example if you switch insurance companies now the new company must get your permission in writing to contact your old insurance company regarding your driving record....
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Hmmm, wonder who the government is protecting? Their citizens, big business or themselves? My guess is that you, the private citizen is last on the list.