1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A Storey and a Few Q.'s.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Storey and a Few Q.'s.

It has been a while, quite a while, since I've been here.

My '92 W250 had developed a bad case of cab floor rot and was needing a new cab and front clip bad (I'm in the salt / rust belt and one of the truck's duties is snow plow truck).

That was a few years ago, and then the truck was stolen. Didn't help that the ignition switch could be operated (with a little persistence) with no key. Luckily it was insured and after a bit of a fight the insurance company paid us for the truck, the fuel transfer tank and some of the tools that were in it.

A few days ago the son of a friend was delivering some scrap metal to one of the local wrecker / re-cycler yards. He spotted our truck in a pile of junk and took a pic and sent it to us. We called the cops, and long storey short, it looks like the truck is coming home (there are some details to work out with the insurance company and I have not seen it yet but have been told that the drive train is intact).

If all else checks out OK the truck will be getting an new cab and front clip and I will be removing the service box that is on it (I bought it like that back in '04, I think), and putting on a flat bed (which is way more practical on our farm).

So now the beginning of the questions:

1) The truck has a club cab. I would prefer a regular cab. Can I put a regular cab on?
2) Where do I start looking for a non-salted cab and front clip?

I am sure that I will have many more questions. Great to see that this site and you all are still here.

Good Day,
JP.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:13 AM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
Thats a great find!

In my experience in chasing body parts to rebuild old trucks, its usually cheaper and less time consuming to buy a complete donor. Most of the gasser 2wd and 4wd half ton body panels are the same. How deep into the Rust Belt are you? A trip down south to buy rust free stuff is a trip well spent in my mind.

As far as putting a single cab on a club cab frame, the biggest issue would be moving the rear cab mounts. Since you want a flat bed, make it a little long. Most of the bed builders around here are selling 9' 4" beds for SRW trucks.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (05-04-2024)