1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power steering fluid still foamy

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power steering fluid still foamy

So, I have my steering box all put back together with new seals Everything reconnected, no leaks, fluid replaced, front end off the ground and I have been turning the wheels back and forth for 40 times 2 or 3 times in the last couple of days, and I am still seeing very foamy liquid.

Does that ever settle down? With the wheels off the ground, the steering still doesn't feel fabulous. Would love any insights.

Right after turning back amd forth (froth?)

A quick spin around the block has shown there's not really much power steering maybe 25%, and some weird jerkiness in the middle of a turn. Some dumb questions: how important is the type of power steering fluid? Really dumb question: the line from the back of the pump, should go to the inlet of the gearbox that's towards the back of the truck, right? I didn't connect those up backwards did i?

Old 05-01-2024, 07:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like the have the hoses backwards the port on the steering gear towards the front of the truck should be your inlet (high pressure side) and the rear most port should be your return to the PS pump (according to the FSM), Have you taken a look at the mesh screen on the outlet side (high pressure side) of the power steering pump, almost every old pump I've come across has some sort of debris caught by the screen. Some have almost blocked it off altogether, might be worth a look. A quick search will explain it in more detail/visual.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Berta
Sounds like the have the hoses backwards the port on the steering gear towards the front of the truck should be your inlet (high pressure side) and the rear most port should be your return to the PS pump (according to the FSM).

I think the high pressure one is more forward towards the bumper. The one my finger is on is the one that is towards the front of the vehicle on the gearbox
I appreciate that advice though. I marked them and then didn't understand my marks

I wish it was as simple and easy as that stupidity of mine

I will look into the mesh
Old 05-01-2024, 07:48 PM

Well from the picture it appears correct, when you have the front end off the ground and turning the wheel try and go slow and when you get to the end of the turn hold it in position. ie hold it full lock left or right for like 5 seconds each time, it should help get the air out.
The following users liked this post:
tyssniffen (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Berta
turning the wheel try and go slow and when you get to the end of the turn hold it in position. ie hold it full lock left or right for like 5 seconds each time, it should help get the air out.
when I do that and really hold it tight to one side or the other, something starts groaning. I think it's the vacuum pump?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:22 PM

You'll hear an audible change when you come to full lock, the groaning your hearing is the power steering pump and its from the pressure having nowhere to go once your at full lock and that's why I say only hold it for a short period. But that pressure is what will help force the air out.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of oil are you using? Power steering requires anti foaming oil. Dodge power steering systems get real squirrely when wrong fluid is used. Dodge transmission fluid is bad for doing this. If this is the case you will need to flush out the old oil a few times with new oil.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My power steering was leaking and I never got around to fixing it. When the oil got low enough to start foaming I would let it set til the foam went down and then fill the reservoir right up, leave the cap off, start it up and do a couple of stop to stop cycles of the steering, turn it off and repeat. Eventually the foaming would stop and the good easy smooth steering would be back. If the reservoir ended up a little over filled it never seemed to hurt anything.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dguru
What kind of oil are you using? Power steering requires anti foaming oil. Dodge power steering systems get real squirrely when wrong fluid is used. Dodge transmission fluid is bad for doing this. If this is the case you will need to flush out the old oil a few times with new oil.
This is a great question and great to know. I've been wondering about whether I should do a serious flush or what, and if there was something special about the fluid.

I'm NOT using something unique- I think it's just PSF from a auto-parts brand (that says its good for all types)
WHAT is the type I should be using, and what's the best way to drain out the whole system and start over?
Old 05-04-2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jogl
When the oil got low enough to start foaming I would let it set til the foam went down and then fill the reservoir right up, leave the cap off, start it up and do a couple of stop to stop cycles of the steering, turn it off and repeat. Eventually the foaming would stop and the good easy smooth steering would be back. If the reservoir ended up a little over filled it never seemed to hurt anything.
this sounds exactly like what I've been doing for 3 days now. maybe I have bad fluid?? maybe I should have let all the old crap out? (I kinda thought I had, with the gear box open on my workbench, but I didn't drain the reservoir)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:47 PM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Jack it up and crank if full lock left and right a bunch MORE. Do it nice and slowly - some without the truck running, some with it running.
Getting the air bubble[s] out can take a long time.
Top off as needed when it gulps the fluid after getting rid of the bubble.
nonrev (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 02:55 PM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
I run Merc/Dex ATF in all my PS systems. It doesn't foam as bad as PS fluid. If it doesn't clear up with doing the slow crank of the wheel and you still have poor assist it could be your pump is going or the spool valve in the box is junk.
nonrev (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Jack it up and crank if full lock left and right a bunch MORE. Do it nice and slowly - some without the truck running, some with it running.
Getting the air bubble out can take a long time.
Top off as needed when it gulps the fluid after getting rid of the bubble.
maybe it never actually gets better, you just get stronger after doing this for hours, and it FEELS easier.

Seriously though, can you give me an estimate? and is it more about the number of times or the amount of time? like, if I did it for 5 minutes 10 times, or 2 times for 25 minutes, which is better? taking it off the jack stands just to find out it's not better yet is getting to be a pain.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Estimate?
The longest I have had to do this game was about an hour and 75 times left to right, I am guessing.
During this time I guess I fired up the motor 4 times.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this sounds exactly like what I've been doing for 3 days now
Well then, there must be air getting into the system somewhere. Where in the system would there sometimes be vacuum? I'd have to take a look under the hood and think on it a little.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid still foamy