2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Newb: Don't let the username fool you...Need a new pickup--advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb: Don't let the username fool you...Need a new pickup--advice?

Looking at a new {to me 1998-2001 or so} pickup as the old Chev is not large enough. Not too happy with the General's trucks in the last decade and a half so I'm looking to change brands. I'm used to big blocks and that naturally leads into the Cummins (which I expect to exceed the current platform--402 BB Chev) for most folks that I know.<br><br>Needs:<br>Power to tow about 8K#'s 8-10 times per year<br>reasonable mileage {at least 14-15 mpg}--more is better <br>ext. cab<br>longbed would be nice, but not necessary<br>NOT RED!!!--that deep cabernate red is OK, though--no offense<br><br><br>Question:<br><br>any suggestions? I would like to stay in the $20K area for a used pickup. Is a 360 enough? V10 worth anything? Do I want the diesel {he!! yeah, but should I pay for it with how much I tow}? Any Ram 'features' {like Windows has} that I should know about....<br><br><br>Thanks for any help!<br>
Old 10-28-2002, 10:25 AM

Re:Newb: Don't let the username fool you...Need a new pickup--advice?

I would go with a diesel. You are going to spend a little more but it is worth it. The stock 360 does not really tow well with an auto and 3.55 gears. it might with a 4.10. you will never see 14mpg with a v10. our 360 gets like 15mpg unloaded and 10 -12 pulling.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:33 AM

I used to average 6 mpg with my V10, would not recommend that to anyone! I usually get about 12 with the diesel. It still is new though, just broke the 11K mile marker! ;D I would get the diesel. ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 10-28-2002, 10:38 AM

I went to a new 2002 cumins with auto. I look at GM &amp; Ford<br>and went with the dodge ?????? so fare so good it only has 435 miles on it
Old 10-28-2002, 10:49 AM

[quote author=radracing link=board=5;threadid=6346;start=0#58388 date=1035823133]<br>I went to a new 2002 cumins with auto. I look at GM &amp; Ford<br>and went with the dodge ?????? so fare so good it only has 435 miles on it<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That's kind of where I'm at. GM builds a nice car with room in the back for some gear. If you want to 4WD, buy something else.....Ford is well, it's Ford. I've been running Jeeps the last couple of rigs and feel fairly comfortable with Chrysler products. The RAM is built like I like it (It's a 'perfect Cherokee' design. It has a frame ), and it has a decent history. If it had a true crew cab, I wouldn't even consider the F*rd.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:32 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Go for the DIESEL !<br><br>If you get the ISB there's cheap BOMBS galore- you'll never want a gasser again. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 10-28-2002, 02:02 PM

My brother bought a new V10 some years ago and sure does regret it now because of the power and low mileage. I bought my Dodge in 94 and could never consider going back to a gasser. I get 20 mpg everyday driving. The diesels are noisy, some people don't like that but I'm kinda like other guys that do like it. Inside the truck it isn't bad at all though. If mileage is very important just remember a 4X4 duelly automatic with 410 differental will be your worst pick. The early 98 and older are pretty much mechanical and the newer 24 valves are computerized. These Cummins are pretty easy to get double the power out of them without going into the engine.<br>Michael
Old 10-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

get the cummins and your face will look like this ;D 8)
Old 10-28-2002, 02:16 PM

Now we all know he wants the [glow=green, 2, 300]diesel[/glow]. He just wants reassurance. Why would any of us recommend a gasser when we all drive diesels? This is the [glow=green, 2, 300]DIESEL TRUCK RESOURCE[/glow], not the gas truck resource! Unless Hoss get's on here, he might recommend a gasser, but that's a different story.... ;D<br><br><br>Tony
Old 10-28-2002, 02:22 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=5;threadid=6346;start=0#58467 date=1035836211]<br>Now we all know he wants the [glow=green, 2, 300]diesel[/glow]. He just wants reassurance. Why would any of us recommend a gasser when we all drive diesels? This is the [glow=green, 2, 300]DIESEL TRUCK RESOURCE[/glow], not the gas truck resource! Unless Hoss get's on here, he might recommend a gasser, but that's a different story.... ;D<br><br><br>Tony<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>How do I maintain a diesel? Valve adjustment {Is this a solid lifter 396 or something ?}? minor mods.....I guess that's what I'm asking.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:26 PM

Minor mods? You better leave now! These guys will have you selling the farm to upgrade your cummins! Just kiddin'.. you can get a simple Edge EZ to boost power. As far as maintaining, I just do my normal oil changes and fuel filter changes like any other vehicle.... ;D

Tony
Old 10-28-2002, 02:34 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=5;threadid=6346;start=0#58474 date=1035836771]<br>Minor mods? You better leave now! These guys will have you selling the farm to upgrade your cummins! Just kiddin'.. you can get a simple Edge EZ to boost power. As far as maintaining, I just do my normal oil changes and fuel filter changes like any other vehicle.... ;D<br><br>Tony<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>This started out as 'minor mods'......<br><br>just to make it a little more trailworthy......I don't need another 'project', just a 'solution' for the other one.... {isn't everything a 'project' } The really bad thing is, I could lift my RAM like this and have two of these types of things.......my wife would love me........
Old 10-28-2002, 02:39 PM

LMAO... that's a sweet pic! ;D<br><br>
Old 10-28-2002, 02:44 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=5;threadid=6346;start=0#58478 date=1035837564]<br>LMAO... that's a sweet pic! ;D<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That's 4500 lbs. of my proposed payload.....fun stuff. Do any of you guys do Moab?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow olchevrepl,<br>Thats some great articulation!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>All mods are &quot;minor&quot; until you start doing them. Once you start, it becomes a series of: &quot;Just a little lift here, bigger wheels and tires there, Cam plate over here, bigger injectors up there....&quot;<br> <br><br>Good luck.<br>Rich

Quick Reply: Newb: Don't let the username fool you...Need a new pickup--advice?