1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Greed 93
Broke mine today ! Water/meth turned on by it self on the way to work full bore, looked out the mirror to change lanes and had a huge white cloud pouring out the exhaust. I thought might have lost an injector but upon stopping it laterally stopped the motor. Turned the key on and heard the pump running, switch was off so I cut the power wire to it. Put my ratchet on the crank and sure enough it was hydro locked. I let it cool down for about 30 min and tried again going back and forth, got it to move freely so I unplugged the fuel solenoid and cranked it for a few revolutions. Plugged it back in and started it to a while to clean up the smoke, but still had a miss and slight "tick" . So I pulled the radiator cap and sure enough it was pushing air in the cooling system. At the very least head gasket, possible I scuffed a piston from the blow by it has now and the tick.
That sucks
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Greed 93
Broke mine today ! Water/meth turned on by it self on the way to work full bore, looked out the mirror to change lanes and had a huge white cloud pouring out the exhaust. I thought might have lost an injector but upon stopping it laterally stopped the motor. Turned the key on and heard the pump running, switch was off so I cut the power wire to it. Put my ratchet on the crank and sure enough it was hydro locked. I let it cool down for about 30 min and tried again going back and forth, got it to move freely so I unplugged the fuel solenoid and cranked it for a few revolutions. Plugged it back in and started it to a while to clean up the smoke, but still had a miss and slight "tick" . So I pulled the radiator cap and sure enough it was pushing air in the cooling system. At the very least head gasket, possible I scuffed a piston from the blow by it has now and the tick.
Ahh man that really sucks!! I truly hope it's just a head gasket.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I am taking "inventory" on nuts, bolts and washers. I hate to get started on something and find that I am one washer short.
I am also working on a new shackle design.
Ever buy a "complete" kit, only to find out what wasn't in the "complete"kit is extra.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

Ahh man that really sucks!! I truly hope it's just a head gasket.
Me too ! I'm just sick to my stomach now.. haven't even torn into it yet.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
Ever buy a "complete" kit, only to find out what wasn't in the "complete"kit is extra.
Yeap that is good old Murphy
Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM

Yesterday I spent $25 on bolts. then it started raining. And is still raining.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM

I got some time to work on my front spring hangers. I got the top Plate and outside side plates tacked together so I could use 1/2-13 all thread to mock up where the inside plates will sit. Now I can cut the ribs and shorten the inside plates as per change in design. Gotta love making your own parts.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Tig welded frame and reinforced where the power steering pump mounts. Tig welded the power steering pump adapter. Rebuilt front brakes. Very nice to have my lift back in service.
Mike
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM

Hi All,
Took out the interior, to include the headliner , on the 92. The new carpet will be here on Monday. I also replaced all of the door and window weatherstrip with a kit I bought for the "93,( May it rest in Peace ), 6 years ago. I have installed the CPS delete kit and have it running great. Now, I will finish the flatbed I made for the "93 with the liftgate and get it on. The flatbed was from a GMC, but very easy to fabricate and fit to my Dodge.
More to come, so stay tuned to this station.
Mike
Old 04-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
After temporarily repairing my fusible link issue the other day, I haven't done much to the brick. Today, otoh, I spent about 4 hours in the brisk spring WINDY day moving my secondary fuse panel I have under the hood, over just a bit, to create room for accessing all my fusible links and install my new maxi fuses, replacing them and hopefully permanently resolving this electrical nightmare that Chrysler gave us back in the 90's.

This little project should be interesting.....
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM

I put a flowpro 4" exhaust on my 92 w250 today.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I am trying to finish up my 24V intercooler with 2nd gen boost tubes, boots, 24V intake horn and a HX-35 turbo install on my '85 crew with a NON I/Ced 12V under the hood.
I did it roughly like it was done in the sticky, but ditched the A/C condenser, so I could inset the intercooler more.
I also modified the lower intercooler brackets to get things way from the valence and grille so I had less to trim.
I spent 2 hrs modifying / cutting / welding the secondary hood latch as it was interfering with the big Intercooler, and I am still not happy with it yet.
I want to get it ready, as the snow is starting to melt around here, and I want to be able to drive it in a few weeks/month!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the best idea, but a buddy at work had a p-pumper with a 62mm charger, so I told him I could dust him off with the 'ol VE, 62 charger to 62 charger. Nope, he made 501 to my 452 (inertia dynojet). Oh well, there's always cheating (nitrous)

The challenge was fuel to fuel though, so I lost fair and square.

Felt good to get the truck up and going again though. Even packed ice on the crossover as a ghetto intercooler, but it didn't seem to do much. I'm thinking the P must just have more injection pressure.

Anyways, it was fun!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I love the icing down the crossover pipe trick.
Just like the old drag guys icing down the gas lines to the Holley carb[s] for races.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Junior81
I put a flowpro 4" exhaust on my 92 w250 today.
How do you like it? I got the one with the muffler and I'm wondering if I made a mistake.
Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?