1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:09 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict
How long ya figure? I'm trying to find the time but will likely wait for the snow to hit and other things to slow down..
Well one thing I was thinking between cussing was how I was glad I was doing it in a t-shirt and not when it was cold with coveralls on - I could barely snake my bare arm through the steering & under the master cylinder to reach the thing and have the scratches to prove it, and I'm no Pop-eye either.

It was a tedious bugger to get to the attachment bolts and each one needed a different combination of extensions and wobble/flex sockets. And got even more Rube Goldberg trying to find enough room for the torque wrench when re-attaching! The hardest is the one closest to the block even with the blow-by tube removed. Plus a run to town for a 12 point 10mm socket... Also, two of the 4 screws holding the brushes stripped out so I had to drill them out and then wait till morning for another run to town for 4, 5mm allen head screws. Plus I must of leaned over the fender then crawled under the truck only to find the tool I needed was up on the fender several dozen times taking it off AND putting it back on...

Then the dang thing tilted out of my vice and the plunger spring and ball bearing played hide-and-seek on my dirt floor...

SO, if you already have a 12pt 10mm socket and plenty of extensions and no mishaps probably just 2-3 hours maybe?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
It is a nv4500, so I checked the 5th gear but and it hasn’t budged.
As 5th is shifted on the countershaft in that transmission, it is a good bet that the countershaft bearings were not adjusted properly. You will want to fix this before it trashes the shift fork, clutch gear, synchro clutch, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alec:
oliver foster (10-15-2018), tbarbee1 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Rewired my voltage regulator with a relay. Dropped my idle voltage from 15.2 to 14.7 volts. :-)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Wife and I left Wednesday night in my truck for a little get away. First we drive about 70 miles to Glen Helen MX track and camped in the driveway with a few other Motocross junkies. Thursday we rode till about 11AM, then showered and hit the road for Las Vegas (Henderson actually) for a dog show. After spending the weekend in Henderson we just drove back home, 330 miles with one stop to clean out the black tank about half way home in Barstow. Hit major traffic and turned a 5 hour drive into about 7 and a half but we made it and are all unpacked ready for the work week.

Waking up 70 miles from home to ride MX!

Not our breed but a very nice Dog.

Packed up, ready for the drive home.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1320Fastback:
nonrev (10-15-2018), tbarbee1 (10-25-2018), thrashingcows (10-15-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
I pressure washed the Vanilla Gorilla ['85 white lifted crew cab] down today as the salt trucks are threatening to be out soon.
I also let it come up to temp, before pulling it in the shop to dry off. I then dropped the oil so I can park it with fresh oil in it for the winter in the heated shop.
I will squirt a few dry spots down with some Fluid Film as needed.

I left a short list of things to address over the winter...Sticky door handle on the passenger rear, starter wires that need cleaning on maybe a starter rebuild..maybe I will swap in a 4 inch down pipe and T-case pipes, to match the 4 inch 2nd gen stainless exhaust I repurposed from the crossmember back. I would guess that would help lower the ETGs a bit.
Just little stuff.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (10-18-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Well after redoing the drip rail sealant last fall I assumed everything was good.....nope looked almost as bad as before so much for the claim on the product that it will not dry out, harden and crack. The drip rails had been redone a few years ago as well after the OEM stuff was cracking and lifting. So today I just cleaned the drip rails and then slathered a bunch more sealant in the drip rails, waited for it to skin over and then brushed it over with some tremclad.....see how it does over the winter. I might have to suck it up and buy the "good" two part drip rail sealant next year and do it AGAIN!
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
edwinsmith (10-21-2018), mknittle (10-21-2018), nonrev (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Pulled steering wheel and got the right side blinkers working after spraying a few times with electrical contact cleaner, actually and legally took it out on the road for the first time. I t was fun. I am still trying to get the wipers to work, I think I will pull the motor off as I can't even get to the back side of the motor to unplug the connector. I am getting power to the black wire going to the motor and ran a ground from the battery to the motor case, no go.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 AM

Ordered a coolant filter and filter adapter and got it in the mail today. A few weeks ago I had acid flushed my radiator a few times, flushed with pure water and then filled with coolant. Well I had to drain all the fresh coolant out to change a hose and noticed it had big chunks, stuff and grit in it so for a while at least the filter is going on. Plan to use the old automatic transmission coolant lines as that was deleated when the manual trans went in and those hoses were simply hooked together.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:00 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
... Plan to use the old automatic transmission coolant lines as that was deleated when the manual trans went in and those hoses were simply hooked together.
How/where are you hooking them into the cooling system? You know they just ran transmission fluid through a portion of the rad right?
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
ATF routed through the rad tank cooler was on gassers.

On auto Cummins, the coolant and ATF route through separate jackets on the block mounted heat exchanger unit.

Originally Posted by KRB
How/where are you hooking them into the cooling system? You know they just ran transmission fluid through a portion of the rad right?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Actually they didn't. Under the exhaust manifold was a heat exchanger about the size of a 2 litre bottle that the trans fluid and radiator fluid flowed too. This was factory on all automatic diesel trucks. When I removed the heat exchanger I simply hooked the input and exit hose together.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Ordered a coolant filter and filter adapter and got it in the mail today. A few weeks ago I had acid flushed my radiator a few times, flushed with pure water and then filled with coolant. Well I had to drain all the fresh coolant out to change a hose and noticed it had big chunks, stuff and grit in it so for a while at least the filter is going on. Plan to use the old automatic transmission coolant lines as that was deleated when the manual trans went in and those hoses were simply hooked together.
what kit did you go with and who did you get it through.....been wanting to do this but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
what kit did you go with and who did you get it through.....been wanting to do this but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I just bought it all off Amazon, Wix 24019 and then the filter and hose it suggested with it frequently bought together.

Will install it this weekend and then change filter to Baldwin when I do my Oil and Fuel filters soon.

Plan on cutting the coolant filter open and washing the media to see all the nasty stuff inside too
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Today I dropped off my "Project Truck" frame to be sandblasted and powder coated.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
Today I dropped off my "Project Truck" frame to be sandblasted and powder coated.
Cool I would love to see pictures of it when it was finished.
The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
Diesel_Dawg (10-25-2018), mknittle (10-29-2018), NJTman (10-30-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?