1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
HMMMMM... Well I need to put more than I did before. What would the limit be? I put a couple psi before but I didn't see any leaks.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Nice. Should have took photos of what was left, bought what we wanted here, and made a few bucks shipping it up to us.

lol
There wasn't much left. He was using the engine and trans for a project. His dad got the axles, the front end sheet metal, grill and bumper were already sold. Nothing left but the frame.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I agree. We're having the house tented this weekend but as soon as I get back I'm going to pressurize the tank to 15 PSI then check for leaks. If I find none and the fuel pump still has good pressure then it's time to run the fuel down low and drop the tank. If I had measurements I'd consider cutting an access hole in the bed but that's probably more work than the job is worth. I hate working under the truck with my gimpy back.

Edwin
"having the house tented", what the heck is that???
Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
"having the house tented", what the heck is that???
usually for some sort of pests, they cover the home up, then send in the bug gas.

Or, he's got a big scout meeting coming up.

Lol
Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
HMMMMM... Well I need to put more than I did before. What would the limit be? I put a couple psi before but I didn't see any leaks.

I would not go over a couple PSI and that is from a guy who has a dozen spare 1st gen diesel tanks if I needed one.
Those hard plastic tanks are not designed like a tire and 15 PSI is pretty high. I used to use less PSI than that in my trail rig, power wagon running 39 X15.5 tires for max traction and that was not a light truck.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM

The tenting is for Termites and any other living thing except for maybe some fungus. I don't know what the gas kills but plants are certainly vulnerable.

As for the tank I would think it's good for 15 psi but I'll limit it to 5 psi. If it won't break when going over the railroad tracks with a full tank then it's pretty strong. The plastic tank is probably stronger than steel tanks on earlier cars. After the Ford Pinto incident the tanks have to be strong enough to take a huge impact.

IIRC the Ford Pinto had a steel tank and got a hole poked into it by a bumper bolt during a rear end collision. BIG FIRE!

Edwin
Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM

The fuel neck sleve / gasket would most likely fail first, no ? Didn't seem very sturdy, the last one I installed.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
There wasn't much left. He was using the engine and trans for a project. His dad got the axles, the front end sheet metal, grill and bumper were already sold. Nothing left but the frame.
If the frame is pristine, people would buy parts off of it. Lord knows how fast these spring perch brackets rot out in the back of our rides.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM

The tenting is for Termites and any other living thing except for maybe some fungus. I don't know what the gas kills but plants are certainly vulnerable.

As for the tank I would think it's good for 15 psi but I'll limit it to 5 psi. If it won't break when going over the railroad tracks with a full tank then it's pretty strong. The plastic tank is probably stronger than steel tanks on earlier cars. After the Ford Pinto incident the tanks have to be strong enough to take a huge impact.

IIRC the Ford Pinto had a steel tank and got a hole poked into it by a bumper bolt during a rear end collision. BIG FIRE!

Edwin

Edwin you put what every PSI makes you happy in your tank.
Just try to picture what 15 PSI [pounds per square INCH] over that large of a space =s in pressure.
A lot more than a full 35 gallon tank going over railroad tracks.

Don't worry I have a spare tank if you need another one.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Edwin you

Now that's what friends are for !

lol

Old 12-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
The fuel neck sleve / gasket would most likely fail first, no ? Didn't seem very sturdy, the last one I installed.
It might but depending on how fast you are putting pressure, you could easily risk splitting it open like a cheap ballon. That would get your attention when it let loose.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:39 PM

It might but depending on how fast you are putting pressure, you could easily risk splitting it open like a cheap ballon. That would get your attention when it let loose.
Lol... yeah. Edwin needs to set up his video camera for us, then fill it up to 100PSI. That will draw some attention.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:29 PM

You guys are hilarious! I agree that 15 psi would probably be excessive. I was thinking of the seal on the VE pump which I blew out before. I'll keep it below 5 psi as measured at the output of the fuel filter when the engine is NOT running. I'll see if I can find my tripod and setup my camera. Trouble is I have to get somebody to slowly crank the regulator up on my compressor while I watch the gauge. Maybe I should have the wife watch the gauge while I crank up the pressure. The noisy compressor is at the back of the house because there's not much room in the garage so we can communicate with our cell phones. With the wife watching the gauge if the tank blows she can be the one who gets wet with fuel going all over the place.

No not really. I didn't have the gauge before so no good way to judge the actual pressure. With the cheap gauge on the compressor with that low pressure could have been anywhere between 1 and 10 psi. With a better gauge I can be more precise and hold it longer to see if any leaks show up.

Edwin
Old 12-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Edwin you put what every PSI makes you happy in your tank.
Just try to picture what 15 PSI [pounds per square INCH] over that large of a space =s in pressure.
A lot more than a full 35 gallon tank going over railroad tracks.

Thanks for the note of caution Oliver. I do take it seriously.

Edwin
Old 12-22-2018, 04:51 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Yesterday I finished modifying the HB mounting plate, drilled and tapped the holes for 3/8 bolts. I had to grind the head of one bolt for clearance on the HB unit. Button head cap screws would have been nice but I'm committed to using as much stuff as I already have here. I've been spending to much money lately. I also got the pushrod shortened to 6.5 inches. I cut and threaded the rod and used a coupling nut to connect them. I had to shorten the nut so I sliced the part I cut off in half to use as jam nuts. lol Got it mounted up with the new master cylinder and checked the fit on the stock '98 replacement hoses. Looks like they will work fine but I made need to tweak the end at the steering gear or modify the inner fender a little.

Today I'm going to pull the vacuum and power steering pumps, rebuild the vacuum pump and install the new ' 98 model P/S pump then work on the brake lines and P/S hoses.

The following 2 users liked this post by Angry Johnny:
archer2 (12-22-2018), NJTman (12-22-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?