1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Finished the wiring on my RC, now I have power windows, locks and mirrors: also cut up hands. Lesson learned.....grease the tracks and rollers after assembly.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Kansascrewcab76
Finished the wiring on my RC, now I have power windows, locks and mirrors: also cut up hands. Lesson learned.....grease the tracks and rollers after assembly.
Eventually you'll come to regard your scars with fond remembrance.

Glad you have the harness wired up. Keep at it!

Edwin (Formerly of Coffeyville, KS)
The following users liked this post:
Kansascrewcab76 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Eventually you'll come to regard your scars with fond remembrance.

Glad you have the harness wired up. Keep at it!

Edwin (Formerly of Coffeyville, KS)
Thanks for the positive vibes!!! I will never forget it, that is for sure.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Mine ate the HAVC blower motor resister! good thing it is cool out today!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Well Walmart dropped the ball on ordering my tires all at once instead of one at a time. After three weeks I immediately told them to cancel my order and I went to local tire shop and had two brand new Michelin Defender LTX Es put on today. This next Wednesday were towing our trailer to Henderson Nevada for a dog show and also the Monster Energy Cup and I didn't want to risk driving through the desert on old tires.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I put on a new master cylinder and both rear wheel cylinders, still need to put the pass. side axle back in, install my new to me fan shroud I got from Oliver along with the intake hose to turbo I bought as well, than maybe I can finally drive this big rig. LOL
Old 10-08-2018, 04:57 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Just got back from a 400 mile round trip into the mountains. Left on Friday, right after reinstalling the starter with a LarryBs kit. Man that was more work that I thought it'd be! Averaged a little over 17mpg even on those grades and curvy roads.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Saturday I installed a LPHV piston lift pump from The Hungry Diesel. It definitely has helped. My injection pump is on its last leg and was getting so I had to put water on it to get it cooled off to start the truck back up if the truck had ran within the last hour. It now starts every time. When I get back from my two years of religious service I’ll put a new THD injection pump in it.

Other than that the truck has been pretty good with the new transmission in. Only thing with it is I’ve found it doesn’t like to coast in 5th. It pops part way out if i coast it.

I also got my gauges installed and put the power screw in as far as it would let me go and backed pre-boost screw all the way out to flush. Truck didn’t even hit runaway and the screw only went in about 3 threads worth before it bottomed out. I took the slack between the pedal and the cable out and even with the pump turned up I can’t get it above 900 degrees, so I’m pretty happy. Only thing I need to resolve with tuning is figure out why it surges so bad at a certain rpm in each gear if I try to just cruise there. It does it about 22 miles an hour in 3rd and about 12 mph in 2nd. Haven’t had it do it in 4th yet, but I felt it start to one time about 37mph. I’m thinking that will be a starwheel adjustment as it seems it happens between low rpm and when the turbo starts to get some boost built up.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Saturday I installed a LPHV piston lift pump from The Hungry Diesel. It definitely has helped. My injection pump is on its last leg and was getting so I had to put water on it to get it cooled off to start the truck back up if the truck had ran within the last hour. It now starts every time. When I get back from my two years of religious service I’ll put a new THD injection pump in it.

Other than that the truck has been pretty good with the new transmission in. Only thing with it is I’ve found it doesn’t like to coast in 5th. It pops part way out if i coast it.

I also got my gauges installed and put the power screw in as far as it would let me go and backed pre-boost screw all the way out to flush. Truck didn’t even hit runaway and the screw only went in about 3 threads worth before it bottomed out. I took the slack between the pedal and the cable out and even with the pump turned up I can’t get it above 900 degrees, so I’m pretty happy. Only thing I need to resolve with tuning is figure out why it surges so bad at a certain rpm in each gear if I try to just cruise there. It does it about 22 miles an hour in 3rd and about 12 mph in 2nd. Haven’t had it do it in 4th yet, but I felt it start to one time about 37mph. I’m thinking that will be a starwheel adjustment as it seems it happens between low rpm and when the turbo starts to get some boost built up.
What did you do for the pilot bearing? My experience with popping out of gear is a bad pilot bearing...Mark
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
What did you do for the pilot bearing? My experience with popping out of gear is a bad pilot bearing...Mark
It is a brand new flywheel that came with the Valair clutch kit. Throw out bearing is new from same source. It only pops out of 5th when I coast it. It doesn’t pop out of any other gear at all and 5th is fine if I am just driving and not coasting.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts

It is a brand new flywheel that came with the Valair clutch kit. Throw out bearing is new from same source. It only pops out of 5th when I coast it. It doesn’t pop out of any other gear at all and 5th is fine if I am just driving and not coasting.
Cool, I assume that the new flywheel came with the pilot bearing or bushing already installed? Or was it in the Valair kit? The Dodge Cummins came with a pilot bushing installed in the flywheel, as opposed to the end of the crankshaft in many cars...Mark
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Cool, I assume that the new flywheel came with the pilot bearing or bushing already installed? Or was it in the Valair kit? The Dodge Cummins came with a pilot bushing installed in the flywheel, as opposed to the end of the crankshaft in many cars...Mark
Yes. The pilot bearing was already installed in the flywheel.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts

I would take it back to the tranny rebuilder right quick and make them fix it!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Just got back from a 400 mile round trip into the mountains. Left on Friday, right after reinstalling the starter with a LarryBs kit. Man that was more work that I thought it'd be! Averaged a little over 17mpg even on those grades and curvy roads.
How long ya figure? I'm trying to find the time but will likely wait for the snow to hit and other things to slow down..
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I would take it back to the tranny rebuilder right quick and make them fix it!
Problem is I don’t know who the transmission builder is. I bought it from someone who bought it from the builder and then figured out it wouldn’t go in their IDI ford. It is a nv4500, so I checked the 5th gear but and it hasn’t budged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?