1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Hey, TC. Hate to keep focusing on that dreaded thrust bearing, and for Pete's sake I don't want it to be that, as that's a lot of work, but I'm starting to wonder if the thrust bearing flange is cracked but still hanging on, causing the rattle, but not allowing the crank to move cause part of it is still in the slot?
Only reason I'm still on the TB, is I've followed what you've done- valve adjustments, oil changes, bearing checks, pulling the belt off, etc.
Have you tried running a couple of quarts of Lucas Oil stabilizer, in place of two quarts of your regular oil, to see if it quiets it down? If it does, that means that thicker oil is filling in the wear areas.
Also, where is that rattle coming from? Top side or down low by the pan? Lastly, is the fan clearing that Fluid Damper OK still? Did you ever shim out the fan clutch hub to move that fan forward s'more?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey, TC. Hate to keep focusing on that dreaded thrust bearing, and for Pete's sake I don't want it to be that, as that's a lot of work, but I'm starting to wonder if the thrust bearing flange is cracked but still hanging on, causing the rattle, but not allowing the crank to move cause part of it is still in the slot?
Only reason I'm still on the TB, is I've followed what you've done- valve adjustments, oil changes, bearing checks, pulling the belt off, etc.
Have you tried running a couple of quarts of Lucas Oil stabilizer, in place of two quarts of your regular oil, to see if it quiets it down? If it does, that means that thicker oil is filling in the wear areas.
Also, where is that rattle coming from? Top side or down low by the pan? Lastly, is the fan clearing that Fluid Damper OK still? Did you ever shim out the fan clutch hub to move that fan forward s'more?
No problem trying to get me to focus on....on hey that's shiny!

I was going to grab a couple quarts of the lucas oil additive tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I added a very thin washer/shim and now the fan is clearing the fluidampr pretty well, only ticks it once in a while when the RPM is over 2000.

The issue with the noise is I can't seem to locate where it is coming from. I have an old stethoscope with a long tube and a piece of metal brake line in the end for diagnosing noises, the ear pieces fit tight to block out sound. I have crawled up/under and around listening to every part, corner and crevices and can't find the noise....wish I could, at least then I would have an area to work around.

Justin's question about if it is RPM related got me to thinking, and since then I have been paying really close attention. The answer is yes, but it is also dependent on load on the motor. It seems to be the noisiest from about 1600-1900 RPM, and in what I call "cruise" mod....just maintaining road speed. Seems to be the worst in 4th gear about 1700 rpm. But give it some throttle and a bit of boost and the noise goes away, also let off the throttle and leave it in any gear and allow it to slow down and not a rattle to be heard

I can make it rattle when the truck is parked, but only if I have been driving and the rattling has been very prominent, but again have to bring the RPM up to 1600+.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I hate it when you can't find a, or fix a, or recreate a recurring annoyance or problem...

Drive it to Chrysler at Carlisle and let us all get a bang at "patches"....
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Hope u find the rattle. I have given up on my knock. I'm just driving it and watching the oil pressure really close. Gonna try the Lucas oil treatment todat
Old 05-23-2017, 11:43 PM

Ok I did the lucas oil additive this evening, but first I will regale you with my stupidity!

I had just come back from a run into town to pick up the Lucas oil treatment, we are about 25km's each way from town, so motor was fully up to temperature. I then crawl under the truck to drain off a couple quarts of oil, not thinking that the oil will also be at the 180* temperature.

I spin out the drain plug, and burning hot oil douses my hand and arm, I drop the oil plug into the catch container and have to dive my hand in to find it before the oil all drains out of the oil pan, since the container I used was not large enough to catch all of the oil. Then frantically try and get the oil drain plug back in, but my plug has always been problematic with a nylon washer that is on it. The nylon washer gets hung up on the end of the drain plug and it usually requires me fiddling with it to get it to spin down the threads, but since I was in a time sensitive situation I had to just keep pushing on it until the threads started.....remember the burning hot oil and drain plug!

Finally got it in enough to hold....but man what an ordeal...friggin brain dead meat head that I am! Blisters are now starting on my thumb and index finger....

As I mentioned earlier got the lucas in there, 2 quarts, topped up the oil....since I drained about 8-9 liters, and went for a drive into town to pick up my daughter from her job. Did about 60km's and the noise is still there.....so guess that is good?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Ok I did the lucas oil additive this evening, but first I will regale you with my stupidity!

I had just come back from a run into town to pick up the Lucas oil treatment, we are about 25km's each way from town, so motor was fully up to temperature. I then crawl under the truck to drain off a couple quarts of oil, not thinking that the oil will also be at the 180* temperature.

I spin out the drain plug, and burning hot oil douses my hand and arm, I drop the oil plug into the catch container and have to dive my hand in to find it before the oil all drains out of the oil pan, since the container I used was not large enough to catch all of the oil. Then frantically try and get the oil drain plug back in, but my plug has always been problematic with a nylon washer that is on it. The nylon washer gets hung up on the end of the drain plug and it usually requires me fiddling with it to get it to spin down the threads, but since I was in a time sensitive situation I had to just keep pushing on it until the threads started.....remember the burning hot oil and drain plug!

Finally got it in enough to hold....but man what an ordeal...friggin brain dead meat head that I am! Blisters are now starting on my thumb and index finger....
Been there done that.
thrashingcows (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM

And I thought I had bad luck.
thrashingcows (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows

As I mentioned earlier got the lucas in there, 2 quarts, topped up the oil....since I drained about 8-9 liters, and went for a drive into town to pick up my daughter from her job. Did about 60km's and the noise is still there.....so guess that is good?
Hey, TC, sorry for the mishap and the freakin pain occurring from the mishap, but I applaud your non prideful tale. Everyone does things like that, the brain dead situations, and are either too prideful or embarrassed to share as you did.
If it makes you feel better, emotionally, not phisically( blisters I don't have) that "mint" 1991.5 I just picked up? With the 26 year old, untouched bumpers? Last week, after I finished up with all the differential and transfer case fluid changes, I was backing it up to park it in its designated spot. Well, I heard a noise that caught my attention just for a moment as I was backing up, than KABOOM! The infamous bumper destroying rock on my front circle driveway decided to make out with the rear bumper! I got out, of course not a "dent" on the rock, but it sure tweaked the bumper. Now I'm going to have to mess with the come-a-long and try to pull it out. It won't fix the half dollar cave in on the body, though, just under the tail light.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM

The result!
Like I said, could somehow easily straighten out the bumper, but not that ding to the body.

Anyway, as far as the Lucas additive, it DID NOT quiet things down? Guess I'm having a brain fart understanding the results you got.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Never mind- re read your post, saw that you topped it off, and noise is still there.
Wish you could post up a video like DanS did. His sounds were very obvious. Any chance of doing that?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 AM

Ragu. Mine r still there too. I've pretty much decided to live with for a while. I did crack the number 3 fuel injector again this morning. Knock goes away. Tried two other injectors and it stays. If that info helps. Sorry about the dent
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Hey, TC, sorry for the mishap and the freakin pain occurring from the mishap, but I applaud your non prideful tale. Everyone does things like that, the brain dead situations, and are either too prideful or embarrassed to share as you did.
If it makes you feel better, emotionally, not phisically( blisters I don't have) that "mint" 1991.5 I just picked up? With the 26 year old, untouched bumpers? Last week, after I finished up with all the differential and transfer case fluid changes, I was backing it up to park it in its designated spot. Well, I heard a noise that caught my attention just for a moment as I was backing up, than KABOOM! The infamous bumper destroying rock on my front circle driveway decided to make out with the rear bumper! I got out, of course not a "dent" on the rock, but it sure tweaked the bumper. Now I'm going to have to mess with the come-a-long and try to pull it out. It won't fix the half dollar cave in on the body, though, just under the tail light.
Try to come up with something like this rather than a come-a-long. it is better to twist and only pull if necessary.
https://www.jbtoolsales.com/alc-keys...FRVsfgodW2oFhA
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dan s
Ragu. Mine r still there too. I've pretty much decided to live with for a while. I did crack the number 3 fuel injector again this morning. Knock goes away. Tried two other injectors and it stays. If that info helps. Sorry about the dent
Hey, Dan, I remember asking you to see if the injector lines may have gotten mixed up, at the connections to the back side of the pump. It could easily be done if one were not labeling things. Did you ever check on that? I posted a hand drawn pic that someone on here at DTR drew up, that showed the orientation of the lines. Did you ever look into that? It's just ironic, how all this happened after the pump got removed and re installed?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Never mind- re read your post, saw that you topped it off, and noise is still there.
Wish you could post up a video like DanS did. His sounds were very obvious. Any chance of doing that?
Yes I did do a video one morning coming home from work. I think it's noticeable....but then I am attuned to the sound. I will try and get it posted up.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Ragu. Yes sir I did check and had my son double check behind me.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?