1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
I had a problem pop up, shortly after buying my rig, that sounds very similar to the one that 1stGEN'93 is describing. The difference is, I had a boost gauge. And I noticed that I had to floor it just to build maybe 5psi. while pulling a lowboy trailer.
I found that the V-band clamp on my turbo had rattled loose. Tightened it up on the side of the road, and it was like Mr. Chekov had fixed the Warp Drives on the Starship FirstGen.

-Niemand
I’ll have to check all my boots from the turbo to the intake manifold.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Hey Jim! Where ya been?
I've been around. Life takes over sometimes and requires more attention. Popped on here a few times through the months but didn't spend much time looking around.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Does anyone else keep getting this pop up? I only get it on this site on my IPhone and it makes it difficult to read all the good information that exists on this site sometimes. I’ve tried clearing all my history, cache, website dat, etc., but it keeps happening. Maybe I’ll have to do a factory reset.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Does anyone else keep getting this pop up? I only get it on this site on my IPhone and it makes it difficult to read all the good information that exists on this site sometimes. I’ve tried clearing all my history, cache, website dat, etc., but it keeps happening. Maybe I’ll have to do a factory reset.
It is malware, it says nothing in the address about amazon. It is Phishing you, don't click on it. I would google the address and try to find the solution. Good luck. I would backup my data too...Mark
Old 01-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I had a pop-up that took over my entire screen and with sound at full volume. It came with some APP I installed I think but I never figured out which one. I finally had to do a factory reset to get rid of it. I'm more careful about what I install now. The people who make this crap should be drug through a knothole backwards.
The following users liked this post:
maybe368 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I had a pop-up that took over my entire screen and with sound at full volume. It came with some APP I installed I think but I never figured out which one. I finally had to do a factory reset to get rid of it. I'm more careful about what I install now. The people who make this crap should be drug through a knothole backwards.
A small knothole...Mark
NJTman (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
A small knothole...Mark
By their goesintas!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Administrator

I found this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...G753k6SIx..And this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nWvxMSv5jbNW32

...Mark
edwinsmith (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I’ll have to check all my boots from the turbo to the intake manifold.
Check the clamp that holds the cold and hot sides of your turbo together also. That's what was loose on mine. Had that not happened, I would probably not even think to check it periodically.

-Niemand
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks for that. I think I’m going to have to do a factory reset on my phone. Can’t figure out how I got the adware on my phone, but whatever I guess.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks for that. I think I’m going to have to do a factory reset on my phone. Can’t figure out how I got the adware on my phone, but whatever I guess.
I feel your pain. I wonder why, if the bad guys can evolve and put their crapware, designed for computers, onto the ios and android platforms, why don't the malware bytes and other similar people convert theirs to an app? It seems like there is money to be made and, where there is money to be made, there should be action and progress in that direction. I have always thought that it is the same people writing malware in their holes, that are writing the goodware (for lack of a better term) in their day jobs. I would call that the ultimate job security, that is of course excluding the actual ultimate job security, Firefighters. As long as there are people, there will be Firefighters ...Mark
Old 01-25-2018, 09:55 AM

I feel your pain. I wonder why, if the bad guys can evolve and put their crapware, designed for computers, onto the ios and android platforms, why don't the malware bytes and other similar people convert theirs to an app? It seems like there is money to be made and, where there is money to be made, there should be action and progress in that direction. I have always thought that it is the same people writing malware in their holes, that are writing the goodware (for lack of a better term) in their day jobs. I would call that the ultimate job security, that is of course excluding the actual ultimate job security, Firefighters. As long as there are people, there will be Firefighters ...Mark
The bad guys are NOT professional programmers. They are what some people would call Script Kiddies. They seek out malware tools on the dark net with which they can scan computers and devices for vulnerabilities which they can either exploit themselves or then sell on the dark net. There are thousands if not millions of these people across the world.

Professional programmers have better things to do and they are highly paid to do it because they are worth it.

There are anti-malware apps for smartphones but most people don't make use of them. Just like there are anti-malware programs for PC's which unfortunately a lot of people don't use either. This allows the malware to infect their stuff and spread.

Other people are simply stupid and use easy to guess passwords or click on stupid stuff and look at **** on the internet. They usually don't have anti-malware either for the previously stated reason. These are the people who get scammed a lot because they assume that the internet is benign when it is a jungle. You need good firewalls and good anti-malware and good software and keep it patched.

I would bet that an app was installed without the user reading the fine print on it which said something like "If you install this app you give us permission to install addware." This is called an EULA and is full of legalese that most people don't read. I rarely do and I get caught sometimes so that makes me stupid too.

Surfing the internet without anti-malware is called "Unprotected Sex" (Sex in this case means software exchange)

Edwin
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Administrator

The bad guys are NOT professional programmers. They are what some people would call Script Kiddies. They seek out malware tools on the dark net with which they can scan computers and devices for vulnerabilities which they can either exploit themselves or then sell on the dark net. There are thousands if not millions of these people across the world.

Professional programmers have better things to do and they are highly paid to do it because they are worth it.

There are anti-malware apps for smartphones but most people don't make use of them. Just like there are anti-malware programs for PC's which unfortunately a lot of people don't use either. This allows the malware to infect their stuff and spread.

Other people are simply stupid and use easy to guess passwords or click on stupid stuff and look at **** on the internet. They usually don't have anti-malware either for the previously stated reason. These are the people who get scammed a lot because they assume that the internet is benign when it is a jungle. You need good firewalls and good anti-malware and good software and keep it patched.

I would bet that an app was installed without the user reading the fine print on it which said something like "If you install this app you give us permission to install addware." This is called an EULA and is full of legalese that most people don't read. I rarely do and I get caught sometimes so that makes me stupid too.

Surfing the internet without anti-malware is called "Unprotected Sex" (Sex in this case means software exchange)

Edwin
I agree Edwin, but I was not talking about the before you get malware time period (on which you are correct), I was talking about the removal software, once you get it. There doesn't seem to be much of that. Also, there is corruption everywhere and I am sure that there are at least some double dipping code writers...Mark
Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 AM

I agree Edwin, but I was not talking about the before you get malware time period (on which you are correct), I was talking about the removal software, once you get it. There doesn't seem to be much of that. Also, there is corruption everywhere and I am sure that there are at least some double dipping code writers...Mark
There are bad apples in every barrel.

As far as finding an app or software to clean up malware it is scarce because the cleverest malware providers know how to evade the cleaners.

I used to do computer consulting for a living. I have over 40 years of experience. I had to get out of it because it became to stressful dealing with all of the crap. Trucks are much easier to deal with unless they have computers in them.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Administrator

There are bad apples in every barrel.

As far as finding an app or software to clean up malware it is scarce because the cleverest malware providers know how to evade the cleaners.

I used to do computer consulting for a living. I have over 40 years of experience. I had to get out of it because it became to stressful dealing with all of the crap. Trucks are much easier to deal with unless they have computers in them.
I basically agree, but I have had some success removing some pretty tough malware on PC's with removal tools available online. I was just musing why these tools are not being adapted to work on the phones and tablets. It just seems to me that this process hasn't morphed over to the ios and android formats. It seems like it would be a money maker to me, but I have been wrong before...Mark Edit:While I don't have your experience, I started building PC's for friends and fellow Firefighters in the early 90's did pretty well at it until the dropping price of PC's put me out of business in the late 90's-early 2000's...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?