General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Stupid Stacks Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Stacks Question

Got a question about stacks that is probably a dumb one, but here goes:
For you guys with miter-cut stacks, do you have to do anything to keep rainwater out when you park your trucks? Not sure if you put a drainhole in the pipe or cover 'em when it rains or just don't worry about it, or what...
Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 08-26-2004, 06:44 PM

Three ways to go:

Cover them with a coffee can or similar.

Drill a weep hole at the lowest point of each stack or a low point in the system.

Start her up and watch the people run.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 PM

dont they have little metal flappers that open and close with the exhaust depending on its pressure.....like you see on a lot of tractors and some semis
Old 08-26-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of points on the weep hole thing. Depending on your use, they can be both illegal and dangerous. Illegal because no leak in the piping system is allowable, hense the closable weep holes on some big trucks. Dangeous because if you should go to sleep in the truck you have two exhaust leaks under the system.

If you are just using the truck for passenger use I don't think anyone cares but if you use it commercially and get a full DOT check, some inspectors are really hard on leaks of any kind. On my last big truck, in Missouri, the inspector spent more time looking for exhaust leaks than the rest of the truck.

The water entry will never hurt the truck, it could never get enough to get to the engine, but you may have the wet spatter problem that some have.

I have had several rain caps, never would waste the money to get another one. They are not only noisy but the wear out fast and do not operated well.

I have seen one system that welded a 1 1/2 pipe a foot or so long, to the bottom of the system, to allow the water someplace to go until the heat evaporated the water till the next parked rain.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:25 PM

leather/vinyl raincaps

I've done alot of light and heavy duty towing for various companies in the area. You can buy various size leather/vinyl rain caps with velcro or loops to attach bungie cords to. Any towing supply company will have them and they're fairly cheap. They're required when towing due to the fact that when a truck is being towed from the rear, the air is being forced DOWN the stacks through the exhaust fins in the turbo and the impeller will rotate backwards, and most of the time the truck engines are not running.
So guess what. Engine not running= no oil lubribcation to turbo while turbo spins which = TURBO FAILURE!!!!!

Here is one site in Canada that you order them.
http://www.cantow.ca/

Here's one of the companies I worked for.
http://www.wincom.net/~cts/

If you go to JOB OF THE MONTH
HORRIFIC CRASH SEPTEMBER 1999
Fourth picture down-left row- I'm in shorts in the back ground chaining down my load on the landoll trailer.
8 people died in an an 88 vehicle pileup in fog.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Dangeous because if you should go to sleep in the truck you have two exhaust leaks under the system.
a diesel exhaust leak isn't going to kill you. if it is a big enough leak [like a 2" hole with piping going to the cab] then maybe make you sick [headache, nausia]. diesel exhaust doesn't contain the level of CO gasoline exhaust does which becomes the killer.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nickleinonen
a diesel exhaust leak isn't going to kill you. if it is a big enough leak [like a 2" hole with piping going to the cab] then maybe make you sick [headache, nausia]. diesel exhaust doesn't contain the level of CO gasoline exhaust does which becomes the killer.
Unfortunately that is not what my doctor said when I got monoxide poisoning from a leak in the exhaust on an old truck years ago. It's like arsenic, it builds up in the system.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I have seen one system that welded a 1 1/2 pipe a foot or so long, to the bottom of the system, to allow the water someplace to go until the heat evaporated the water till the next parked rain.
Sounds like that might be the way to go if the splatter problem is bad. I don't want to deal with having to cap the stacks every time it rains .
Then again, my truck is black, so maybe the splatter wouldn't even show up on it?
Chris
Old 08-29-2004, 10:18 PM

Hey Chris!

Holes work well in the 90's, plastic beach buckets and bungees from Wally World are great (and cheap) for overnight and so forth, and soot is easily taken care of with soap and water.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info, Matt. I'll probably be having JR do a stack setup for me at the same time as I get the other stuff .
Chris