Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stupid Question...Need Not So Stupid Answer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stupid Question...Need Not So Stupid Answer

I've never had a dually before so I've never had the need to air up the tires on a dually. However, our 24 passenger church bus has dual rear wheels and they need air.

I tried and tried to air them up at home and finally gave up. The valves were on the inside of the rims and I couldn't get to them. So, I took them to a tire place. They successfully managed to let more air OUT of the tires than they could get into them.

Is there some kind of adaptor or something available that makes it easier to air up dual rear tires??
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the standard long dual side air chuck should work, i have seen dirt get into the valve core if they did not use the caps tho, lots of people dont put the caps back on because its a pain, but it saves problems like this. just about any automotive shop should have the right stuff for airing the tires and removing/replacing the valve cores, and it can be done without taking the tires off.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 AM

Yes Hoss, there are items called dually valve stem extensions that allow the inner wheel valve stems to be extended thru the outer wheel rims. The bozo's at the tire place should have installed a couple for you. You must have gone to NTB cause the guys at Discount would have done it probably at no charge. Good luck in getting your extensions.....

Gary
Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 AM

I've never known Discount Tire to do ANYTHING for free...but I will check with them to see if they have anything. Heck...they wanted to charge me $38 to rotate the tires on my truck. I have had very good service from NTB and they rotate my tires for free (even though I didn't buy them there), but that isn't where I took the bus. I may have to try them...although I'd rather just find some extensions and do it myself. I thought Geno's might have something but their site seems to be down today.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I have one of these.

It helps because you add air as needed by hitting the lever, and when you release, it has a built in pressure guage.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 AM

That's the same thing that the dude at the tire store had...but he was unable to get to the valves with it. Actually, he WAS able to get to them because I heard the air rushing out every time he tried...but he couldn't get any air in the tire.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by scuzman00
The bozo's at the tire place should have installed a couple for you. You must have gone to NTB cause the guys at Discount would have done it probably at no charge. Gary
Hey man....Its only some of the techs that work there that do that....I do it
Old 05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With 16" rims it's very difficult to get the truck style chuck in there, I can't make mine work in there either. I bought a set of dually extension hoses, but I'v e heard bad things about them leaking or getting torn off by road debris, so I put one on when I want to fill the inner tire and then remove it when I'm done. I have an extra if you want it, Hoss.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Hoss,

Was the hole in the outter rim lined up directly with the valve stem on the inner rim? If it isn't, it IS impossible to get air to the inner tire. It's pretty difficult also if there are those stainless steel rim covers in place as well.

On my truck, with the holes aligned properly, I can just barely manage to get my whole hand into the inner valve stem, remove the cap, keep my hand in there and push the air hose onto the stem, guiding it and holding it in place with the hand that's already in there.

Good luck!

chaikwa.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
That's the same method I use.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 PM

at truck stops they sell a straight chuck that works better
Old 05-17-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by chaikwa
Hey Hoss,

Was the hole in the outter rim lined up directly with the valve stem on the inner rim? If it isn't, it IS impossible to get air to the inner tire. It's pretty difficult also if there are those stainless steel rim covers in place as well.

On my truck, with the holes aligned properly, I can just barely manage to get my whole hand into the inner valve stem, remove the cap, keep my hand in there and push the air hose onto the stem, guiding it and holding it in place with the hand that's already in there.

Good luck!

chaikwa.
I believe the holes are lined up okay, but they're not big enough for me to get my hands all the way through the holes into the inner valve stem. I think some kind of extension is going to be the only way to go.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my extended dual chuck at NAPA, about $23 or so.
My sons truck had the extension hosed. We ripped them off and chunked them.

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...&usrcommgrpid=
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hoss, run down to the local Tractor Supply and get a set of stem extensions for about $20. Its a braided metal hose that screws onto the tires stem and threads out through the wheels so you can add air to the inside tire without haveing to either take off the outer tire or crawl under the truck.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Hey Hoss, a little off the subject, but what kind of endorsement on your driver license does Texas require to drive a 23 passenger church bus? I seem to remember when your church moved from a van(s), but nothing about you taking a CDL test...
In NC you can get a bus endorsement that is something less than CDL but I haven't done so.
Nat

Quick Reply: Stupid Question...Need Not So Stupid Answer