3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Exhaust switch-over system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust switch-over system

I'm looking to have two exhaust systems in one. For those of you who are boaters you've probably heard of a system called captains call.

I've got it on a boat with a 5.7L V8. The normal exhaust system channels the exhaust through pipes that are restrictive and deaden the noise, so that everyone can enjoy a peaceful afternoon on the water.

once you 'flip' the captains call switch a mechansim in a Y pipe diverts the flow of the exhaust from the silenced exhaust to two monstrous straight pipes shooting out the back of the boat above the water line...unreal sound...beautiful.

Can you do this with our trucks...have my normal exhaust system but put a y pipe in the system before the muffler. then hit the switch and I have a straight pipe.

The whole point would be to have my normal system for towing, being in campgrounds, etc. Then have another to be sooo freaking loud that I can't help but grin ear to ear!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:09 PM

Ive looked for the same type of system but the only cutouts that I can find are electric and are like $300. I want one that is manual so i can run stacks with a muffler when towing and no muffler when playing.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 PM

As always you can do anything it'll just cost some $$$. That would be really cool though; you could have the best of both worlds.....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 AM

Yes you can. I had a DMH electric cutout on my hemi truck and it was very nice. Just hit the switch and it was like running open headers, No crawling under the truck. I asked him to send me an extra flange and had the exhust shop weld up a turn down for it. They sent it for free.

I dont know how big your exhaust is but DMH has them up to 4 inches for a not so bad price. I am not going to say because I dont want this to be erased. Just do a seach for dmh performance. Comes with everything that you would need (Y pipe, e-cutout, and wiring).

If you dont like there y pipes look up moes performance and he has stainless y's for a little bit more. I think that he has cutouts as well.

It was well worth the money and it was less than 250 for the entire thing install and all.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
Ive looked for the same type of system but the only cutouts that I can find are electric and are like $300. I want one that is manual so i can run stacks with a muffler when towing and no muffler when playing.
You can get the y for less than 40 from moes.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Would you happen to have a link?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...f007ffee4839a4

There are 2. I got the dmh and it was a very nice product. If I didnt have straights then I would get another one.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Allways Lost, thanks for the info, looks great!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=icrider;1618472]

I've got it on a boat with a 5.7L V8. The normal exhaust system channels the exhaust through pipes that are restrictive and deaden the noise, so that everyone can enjoy a peaceful afternoon on the water.

once you 'flip' the captains call switch a mechansim in a Y pipe diverts the flow of the exhaust from the silenced exhaust to two monstrous straight pipes shooting out the back of the boat above the water line...unreal sound...beautiful.

/QUOTE]

I am with ya isn't it great!! I have the corsa quick and quiet out the sides. Love it!!! I have gotten alot of different comments, some good some bad.

the best was one lady asked me if I lost my muffler in the lake, I said no it is right here, hit the switch. then I clicked it back on,,, but it is better this way,, she stormed off
Old 07-27-2007, 05:31 PM

my favorite is when sometimes a bit of exhaust slips through the straight pipes and someone in the boat tells me to turn the captains call OFF. I'll usually tell them it's off, the switch it on for a couple of seconds.

The look on someones face when they tell you to turn your exhaust off and it's not even on, then they hear it while it's on...priceless.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

I have already done this on my truck do to soot all over the inside of my boat, now people will follow me and say man why would you do fake stacks?

But I did do a poor man's version just a diverter from gr my shop wanted too make it electronic but I have better thing's to spend money on when it comes to my truck.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM

I want mine to go back into the stack but through a muffler, so there quiet.