1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What's up with fuel prices???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 05:50 PM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
What's up with fuel prices???

Went to town today and needed to fuel up before heading back home. I usually check the prices on the way out and stop at the best on the way back. This morning had me feeling like I was in The Twilight Zone. I had to double take as diesel was $0.10 cheaper than gas. I don't remember seeing this for like 15 or 20 years maybe? What's up with that? I filled up for $3.49/gal. On this route it was all established stations so it's not like the gas wars in other parts of the county.

Did I miss something that would explain this? Is it this way everywhere or just locally??? I'm not complaining...
Old 05-24-2024, 08:08 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
Prices here vary between 3.05 to 3.29.

I've read that diesel is trending downward because the economy is going down also.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:45 AM
KRB

Diesel used to ALWAYS be cheaper than gas, until like 10-15 years a go or so? This is the first time I've seen diesel priced cheaper than gasoline since those good ole days. That's what got my attention, the price flip., not necessarily the price.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:51 AM

Received 426 Likes on 326 Posts
Up here, diesel has been around the same as mid-grade gas for a long time. For about a year now it has been around 50 cents a gallon cheaper than RUG. Still too high at an average of $3 70 a gallon.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:54 AM

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
For the longest time when I was a kid at our full-service filling station, Regular gasoline was 29.9/gallon and Road Diesel was 17.9; Farm Diesel was something like 12.9; that's cents/gallon; this went on for years.

Even as a kid, I thought that point-nine business was a ridiculous joke and yet we still have it to contend with today.

I never did give change back for anything less than a full cent - rounded up.

And the reasons for the existence of the point-nine are ridiculous as pumps don't even have the capability to sell for point-eight or point-seven, only point-nine.

It takes an ignorant human to see $3.79.9 as anything other than $3.80; it most definitely isn't $3.79; it is actually stupid to hang onto the tradition that didn't make sense way back then and for sure makes less sense now.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:08 AM

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
For the longest time when I was a kid at our full-service filling station, Regular gasoline was 29.9/gallon and Road Diesel was 17.9; Farm Diesel was something like 12.9; that's cents/gallon; this went on for years.

Even as a kid, I thought that point-nine business was a ridiculous joke and yet we still have it to contend with today.

I never did give change back for anything less than a full cent - rounded up.

And the reasons for the existence of the point-nine are ridiculous as pumps don't even have the capability to sell for point-eight or point-seven, only point-nine.

It takes an ignorant human to see $3.79.9 as anything other than $3.80; it most definitely isn't $3.79; it is actually stupid to hang onto the tradition that didn't make sense way back then and for sure makes less sense now.
It works great for the crowd that thinks a 1/3# burger is smaller than a 1/4# burger....
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
BearKiller (05-29-2024), nonrev (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 08:42 AM

Received 426 Likes on 326 Posts
It's not about making sense, or cents, it's about the long conn. Oil companies have been conning us sense the beginning. If you really believed that there was an oil shortage in the 70's, or any other time, I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona. There was plenty of oil, they just weren't refining it, they were storing it. Or that we would us up all the world's oil by pick-a-date selling you on the idea that there was only a fixed amount, and that the planet wouldn't make anymore. I'm going to shut up now before I get all wound up.
The following users liked this post:
Sheep Herder (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
It works great for the crowd that thinks a 1/3# burger is smaller than a 1/4# burger....
Very good and real point.

I have driven many dump trucks over the years when big rock-demanding projects were going on and the rates were way up.

I always demanded a third and would not/will not drive for less; 1/3 for the truck, 1/3 for the owner, and 1/3 for the driver; they can't cheat you as it is right there on every scale ticket; four copies; a copy for the customer, a copy for the quarry, a copy for the truck owner, and a copy for the driver.

Many of the more greedy owners who have a knack for drawing those who played hooky during math class were paying a fourth and those drivers think I am stupid for only getting a third.

Back about the time they tried to make us all believe there really was a Bin Laden, those fourth paying owners upped it to a fifth and I have actually heard several of their drivers bragging about the big raise they got.

Curiously, the people who pay me a third have better/safer trucks and treat me way better as a person and driver than those guys driving for the big fifth money get treated.

Those guys would never make very good pie cutters as they would be trying to make fifth of a pie slices come out bigger than third of a pie slices.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:48 AM
KRB

I remember that fast food joint that once came out with a 1/3lb burger to compete with the Quarterpounder, at the same price. It bombed. Folks said it tasted better but wouldn't pay the same price for less burger...

Bearkiller, I never skipped math but I might have napped through reading comprehension a time or two. Clarification on your dump truck example. I understand the driver and the owner but why does the truck get a third (or fourth or fifth)? Does that go towards fuel etc? I'm not a trucker but I did play one for a summer after high school.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:57 AM
KRB

I've been ponderin and I think I can beat the system if I drove for 1/5th. That way I can pay the loader tractor 1/5th to load me heavy, then 1/5th to the DOT officer to leave me alone. Now everybody is making big money! Wait, Janet Yellen is calling me now, I gotta go.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by KRB

Bearkiller, I never skipped math but I might have napped through reading comprehension a time or two. Clarification on your dump truck example. I understand the driver and the owner but why does the truck get a third (or fourth or fifth)? Does that go towards fuel etc? I'm not a trucker but I did play one for a summer after high school.
That's just the way they figure it; most of the time, it takes about a third of the gross to pay for all truck expenses.

In actual dollars and sense, the truck owner gets two thirds and I get a third.

Of course, such a system really only works in a quarry hauling environment where there is always a given amount per ton/mile and everybody knows where they stand.

I have had jobs where I got paid by the load and others where I got paid by the hour; but, in a busy time where you go like fighting fire for twelve or fourteen hours a day, I want that quarry-based third of the take; I know where I stand and I also know they can easily afford it as they are definitely getting their two thirds.