Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

how can this happen over and over and over

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how can this happen over and over and over

I will try to make this as short as possible.
I made a little trip to Redding CA. to pick up a load for a neighbor. Every thing was running good when I left but as I pulled out of Kingman AZ and started up some of the longer grades into NV the truck started acting up. I slowed down and nursed it into Los Vegas and replaced the fuel filter. I thought I had got a load of bad fuel. Before I got into Reno NV it was starting the same problems. I took it to the dealer in Reno (if you can not say something good don’t say anything) and they replaced the lift pump. Great, problem solved, Wrong. We (my wife and I) decided to come home the long way trough Salt Lake City and Denver. As we where climbing the long grade outside Salt Lake the truck started acting up again, we stayed the night and I took it to the dealer in Park city UT. (Very good folks there if you ever need them, very professional and helpful) the outcome was a bad injector pump. This was on Thursday and DC would not ship the pump until Monday. So the only thing I could do was to slow way down and try to make it to the house. That made me feel real good only loaded with 1500#s and cannot drive over 60MPH. Well it made it. Now I’ll take the truck in the dealer here in Cleburne on Monday.
This is a very condensed version of how my week went (I left out all of the cursing and kicking) and I know that my writing skills are not the best but I think you can get the picture.

The Question is when will dodge / Cummins change the design on this fuel system. I feel that it is a good truck (at lest given the other trucks on the market) and a good motor but a very bad design on the lift and injector pumps.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
They already have made the change.

The 03s and up have the newer common-rail fuel injection system.

New system,......new bugs to be discovered/fixed.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why I bought a 12 valve
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (04-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just think it is a sad thing when a part that cost $150.00 can completely ruin the performance of an otherwise fine truck and cause it to basically self destruct. I will have gages ASAP so that this will not happen again.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (04-15-2019)