3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Brake Switch - What Switch and Where

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brake Switch - What Switch and Where

I am looking at putting an exhaust brake on my 2004.5 Dodge CTD. It has the 6 speed manual tranny. BD offers a toggle switch or the plunger style for which mount on the manual tranny shift.

I was wondering what you folks are using for switches and where you are mounting them? Toggle, Plunger, etc...? Shifter, dash,...?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have NOT had time to install my EB yet, but when I do, I will mount a push-pull switch on the stick.
On the stick REALLY is the most convenient place to control the EB from on a manual tranny.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:58 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You have a stick, definitely a plunger on the stick as mentioned above.

If it were an auto, then the toggle on the dash.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my last truck, which had a stick shift, I had a push pull switch on the shift lever. This was convenient and worked quite well. On my current truck, which is an auto, I installed an "old time", floor mounted dimmer switch. This is also convenient and is "hands free".
John
Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
For many years now I have used a small round toggle switch mounted on the gear shift. When I want the brake. I just hit it with my thumb. Use the thumb again to switch it off. It works great.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by john40
On my last truck, which had a stick shift, I had a push pull switch on the shift lever. This was convenient and worked quite well. On my current truck, which is an auto, I installed an "old time", floor mounted dimmer switch. This is also convenient and is "hands free".
John
Interesting idea. Unfortunately I am old enough to know exactly what you are talking about
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Please disregard my ignorance, but I am not following.

What is the reason why needing the exhaust brake switch so accessible and hands free??

I turn mine on after starting the truck and it stays on until the truck gets shut down.

Now for ice or something emergent, I have a clutch switch so moving the clutch pedal a 1/4 inch turns it off and I can just move my hand to turn the brake off. I can see having a handy switch to disengage for an automatic, but it has been quite a fee years since I've had to worry about that side.

To keep on topic of the thread though, my switch is remote - no wires running into the cab. I have a four button key fob velcro'd to the headliner side of my visor. The fob operates exhaust brake, all aux lighting and aux fuel tank pump & valve.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Festus

What is the reason why needing the exhaust brake switch so accessible and hands free??

I turn mine on after starting the truck and it stays on until the truck gets shut down.

Now for ice or something emergent, I have a clutch switch so moving the clutch pedal a 1/4 inch turns it off and I can just move my hand to turn the brake off. I can see having a handy switch to disengage for an automatic, but it has been quite a fee years since I've had to worry about that side.

To keep on topic of the thread though, my switch is remote - no wires running into the cab. I have a four button key fob velcro'd to the headliner side of my visor. The fob operates exhaust brake, all aux lighting and aux fuel tank pump & valve.
remote - now that is new to me. I did not even know that was an option. What brand exhaust brake are you running?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by FordTrax
remote - now that is new to me. I did not even know that was an option. What brand exhaust brake are you running?
I'm running a Pacbrake PRXB. A remote switch is not an an option from them. I used 1 channel from a DEI 6 channel remote switch in place of the supplied from Pacbrake to trip the exhaust brake on and off. A 4 button key fob runs all 6 channels on the remote switch under the hood - no wires for anything non-OEM are run into the cab, and no drilling holes for switch placement or any thing of that nature.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to decide which switch for my truck when I order my BD exhaust brake kit. Saw this post and was interested.

Festus, if you see this, would you mind posting a thread about how you set up your remote system for aux lights, exhaust brake, etc? Sounds like a very useful and convenient setup.