4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhaust brake and integrated brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Exhaust brake and integrated brake controller

On a recent trip in the mountains with tow/haul and exh brake on towing my 5ver on a couple of the steeper descents with the cruise set I would swear that the trailer brakes or even the truck service brakes were being applied automatically without me touching the brake pedal. They would come on quite harshly for 3-4 seconds then release. I tried bringing up the trailer brakes on the central display but it didn't do it while I had that page displayed. I haven't tried looking on the cd that came with the truck but I don't remember reading anything like that. Anyone know anything about the subject?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
pm sent
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
pm sent

What about me?

Share the info please.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by redlineguy
What about me?

Share the info please.
it wasn't an answer to his question, it was a request for some info off his truck so I could research it with Chrysler a bit more

will be posting results though. promise
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 AM

it wasn't an answer to his question, it was a request for some info off his truck so I could research it with Chrysler a bit more

will be posting results though. promise

LOL ok
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by redlineguy
What about me?

Share the info please.
No. We are not gonna share. Now go play on YOUR side of the sandbox... meany...

Never noticed mine doing that. Curious to see if Chris finds anything.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Chapter President

just waiting on Bus to send info so i can look
Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Chris,

I'll send you whatever info you need. My trailer brakes randomly won't release until I have to "bump" the trailer brake manually. This is after braking and it's more of a drag than a full lock.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
No. We are not gonna share. Now go play on YOUR side of the sandbox... meany...

Never noticed mine doing that. Curious to see if Chris finds anything.

Hey keep your nose out of this, This is my stick your nose into others issue's
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by sctsnpr
Chris,

I'll send you whatever info you need. My trailer brakes randomly won't release until I have to "bump" the trailer brake manually. This is after braking and it's more of a drag than a full lock.

you might have it set too sensitive. on bus's truck, i need his actual VIN to look up the build to see if his came with a particular system that could be causing the issue
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While we're discussing trailer brakes and the integrated brake controller, I've had this truck about a year now and can't resolve an issue where the truck 'chimes' and tells me the trailer brakes are disconnected almost continually. I've basically rewired all the trailer-side connections, thinking it *had* to be something on the trailer end. Well, it's about to drive me nuts!

Is there a 'sensitivity' setting or flash that can be done to correct this? Every time I mention it to the dealer, they say there's nothing wrong with it. They don't have to listen to the chime every two seconds when pulling the camper across the country...

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM

I would say this sounds like you have a short somewhere in your wiring harness which is allowing 12 V power to short over to your trailer brakes from time to time. I would check the plug (both male and female connections) and make sure you don't have any wires that may touch.
I know a while back a guy wired up my trailer connection and put the turn signal into the trailer brake controller. The first time I went to make a turn and put on the signal indicator, the trailer brakes engaged and disengaged each time the blinker blinked.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ranchertx
I would say this sounds like you have a short somewhere in your wiring harness which is allowing 12 V power to short over to your trailer brakes from time to time. I would check the plug (both male and female connections) and make sure you don't have any wires that may touch.
I know a while back a guy wired up my trailer connection and put the turn signal into the trailer brake controller. The first time I went to make a turn and put on the signal indicator, the trailer brakes engaged and disengaged each time the blinker blinked.
I had the trailer plug replaced a couple of months ago and everything else works as it should. If I had +12v shorting to the brakes, would they not come on by themselves? That has never happened. Funny thing is, the trailer brakes work. I can engage them manually or with the brake pedal. When the pedal is depressed, the EVIC tells me that the brakes are connected. But as soon as I let off the brake pedal, the truck chimes and the EVIC tells me that the brakes are disconnected. Then it will flash they are connected, chime, and tell me they are disconnected. It does this repeatedly. Can't figure it out - is there a sensitivity setting on these controllers?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Chapter President

there is a loose connection. hook up the trailer and have someone sit in the truck watching the EVIC, you grab and shake the harness from the 7 pin all the way up to the cab and also remove knee bolster (panel under steering column which is very easy to remove) and check connectors. i would bet money that there is a pin loose in a connector and losing contact intermittently.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

there is a loose connection. hook up the trailer and have someone sit in the truck watching the EVIC, you grab and shake the harness from the 7 pin all the way up to the cab and also remove knee bolster (panel under steering column which is very easy to remove) and check connectors. i would bet money that there is a pin loose in a connector and losing contact intermittently.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot when we go camping again in a couple of weeks. I'll have DW help me when we get the camper set up. Where/how is the harness run when it leaves the 7-pin, or will it be obvious when I look? And, does it go into the engine compartment and then back through the dash?

Thanks,

Bob

Quick Reply: Exhaust brake and integrated brake controller