Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Want to convert flip over to turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to convert flip over to turn over

I recently bought the truck in my sig. and it has a flip over ball hitch. I would like to remove it and replace it with a B&W turnover ball so I can use the FW companion. I know I have to enlarge the 3 1/2" hole to 4" and I'm hoping the four holes for the two U bolts will be able to be reused or if new ones would have to be drilled. I prefer not to have the old holes sit empty. Otherwise my options are to install my Reese FW hitch from my old truck or to fill in the old holes and spray in a bed liner. Can anyone help? B&W keeps emailing me the front to back measurement for the long bed. If anyone has this hitch and could send me the measurements/relationship, I would really appreciate it. This is my first post on this site, but I will try to attach a photo of my current setup. Thank you, Kevin

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...l/bc73e431.jpg
Old 02-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey, I see you are new. Welcome.

I have a B&W in my truck, but I'm on my lunch break right now. Post what measurements you need, and if someone hasn't answered by the time I'm off work I'll go out and measure mine.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the response. I need:
1-u bolt width center to center
2-center of u bolt to center of ball
3-relationship of u bolt to ball (i.e. center of u bolt is directly in line with the center of the ball, 2 1/2" to the rear of the truck from it, something like that).

I've looked at the pdf and don't see that info, local dealer doesn't stock the 1306, and I don't know anyone locally that has one. Sorry to put you though the trouble, but it would really help. If you didn't look at my link, it may help to understand what I mean. It's a picture of what I currently have. I'm starting to think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill because I know I'm not going to be happy until I get the B&W in there and just deal with the problems, if any. Thanks again, Kevin
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok, I think I understand the measurements you need.

Width wise, the two safety chain ancors are about 17 3/8" wide, center to center.

The legs of the U bolts appear to be about 2" apart center to center, and are toward the back of the truck in relation to the center of the 4" hole for the ball.

The center of the forwardmost hole for each U bolt appears to be about 1 3/4" back from the center line of the 4" hole.

Keep in mind these measurements were done quickly, with just the cargo light to see with, so they might not be precise, but even so the pattern looks pretty different from what you have in your photo.

B&W probably doesn't have the locations of the safety chain holes in their directions since you generally drill them from below using pre-existing holes in their frame cross member.

Anyhow, good luck, and let me know if I can do anything else.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking at installing the B&W turnover ball in the next couple of months as well. I dont have a goosneck trailer but a freinds dad will let us use his horse trailer whenever we want for our ATV trips if I put a bal in my truck. That is the ball he has and is happy with it so i figure it should work for me as well. Is this a comon ball that a lot of people are using ? Is there any problems or shortcomings with this ball that would warent looking into something diferent? I dont intend on using it a lot so will I run into problems with it rusting up and becoming hard to get loose if it sits for a long time without beeing flipped back over? What is the going price uninstalled? The place i am looking at getting it from is the same as where my freinds dad got his from and they cut the hole in the bed included in with the cost of the unit and then he installed it himself for $325. Sounds fair to me but i dont have anything to compare it to. Now I just need to get the wife to let me spend more money on the truck She has me cut off after this past years spending spree. She says at most of my requests for more toys for the truck.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM

Thank you, Jeff in TD, that is exactly what I needed. bkrukow, I have never heard anything bad about the B&W and that price seems right. I've read where people just pull the ball and keep it in the truck until they need it. I notice mine is stuck right now, probably just frozen. PM me if you want my flip over. Thanks again Jeff, Kevin
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 AM

I had the B&W and the Companian 5th wheel in my 04 ford dually and loved it. Wish I could have used it in my dodge but had to get a slider. Only problem I ever had was the ball freezing in the winter and having to thaw it to turn it over. Other than that I don't think you can beat the setup. I paid $300.00 and installed it myself and then $675.00 for the Companian I think.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the offer but I will probobly just get a new one. I would burn more fuel driving to Wisconsin then what I would save. I took me a bit to figure out waht you where up to. You must be wanting to replace a turnover ball of a diferent brand with a B&W??