24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

run engine with no coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run engine with no coolant?

Sounds like a crazy question, I know. But here's the scoop. Acroos the street from my house is a large ditch, and since I don't have anything big enough to hold all the coolant in the truck for a drain/flush, I want to drain it into the ditch.
Well to change out the thermostat, and pull the radiator out to clean all the **** off it from the old puke bottle I want to work in the garage. The truck would only run for 10 to 20 seconds to get across the street, down the drive, and positioned in the garage.
Any harm in doing this (water pump?)
Also, can I use air to blow all the coolant out of the system?
Thanks for any help !
Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: run engine with no coolant?

Originally posted by Moose10
.....since I don't have anything big enough to hold all the coolant in the truck for a drain/flush, I want to drain it into the ditch....
I'm a pretty conservative guy and am not a tree-hugger by any means, but do you know how toxic ethylene glycol is? Any animal that drinks from that ditch is going to die a horrible, painful death. Even worse, the sweet odor and taste of ethylene glycol draws animals to it like a magnet.

But, no, it won't hurt the truck to run it 10-20 seconds with no coolant.

Rusty
Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Hate to sound like your mom or even worse a treehugger, but, I believe thats illegal....no matter where you live. 1 quart of oil can contaminate a million gallons of water...eythylene gylcol is probably the same....get yourself a big bucket for feeding animals....and dispose of properly. This world is polluted enough.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree with Rusty. You could turn the drain **** on and off and use smaller containers instead of dumping it in the ditch.

And yes, you can use air to blow coolant out, just regulate it down to 20 psi.

edit- I see I've been bleeped for using a forbidden word. Guess I should have called it a "drain wiener".
Old 02-09-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wannadiesel
edit- I see I've been bleeped for using a forbidden word. Guess I should have called it a "drain wiener".
Yeah, I just got bleeped on another thread for saying ****** (that's right, 6 asterisks!) The 6 asterisks were changed to Edit.

Rusty
Old 02-09-2005, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: run engine with no coolant?

Originally posted by RustyJC
I'm a pretty conservative guy and am not a tree-hugger by any means, but do you know how toxic ethylene glycol is? Any animal that drinks from that ditch is going to die a horrible, painful death. Even worse, the sweet odor and taste of ethylene glycol draws animals to it like a magnet.

But, no, it won't hurt the truck to run it 10-20 seconds with no coolant.

Rusty
I agree with you guys about the toxic nature with the coolant, but I didn't think of just turning on/off the drain "wiener" into a catch pan....which is what I'll do.
I got the drain on the ground "idea" from this thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...coolant+ground
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't run it without coolant anyway, personally at least. Yes it's a big chunk of iron and will absorb some heat but still, it wasn't meant to work that way.

My luck that'd be the day something malfunctioned and wouldn't sut off. That thing would get hot ina hurry.

Witnessed a guy that started his boat out of water and had a meltdown in a few momments when it wouldn't shut off.................

Drain it in the garage, dispose of it properly, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Ever seen a 5 gallon bucket???

I'm no bunnyhugger..but willfull polution is insane.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't do that to your engine, just asking for big trouble. Also to drain it jack up the back so that the engine is higher in the back than the front, pull the lower radiator hose off the engine and let it drain the rest of the way. That will completely drain the block per Cummins instructions. Then you only have the heater core fluid.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Please don't do that to your engine, just asking for big trouble. Also to drain it jack up the back so that the engine is higher in the back than the front, pull the lower radiator hose off the engine and let it drain the rest of the way. That will completely drain the block per Cummins instructions. Then you only have the heater core fluid.
Then to purge the heater core you pull both hoses off and put one into a bucket. Take the other and blow low pressure air (20-30 psi) and blow all the old coolant out.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:07 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then to purge the heater core you pull both hoses off and put one into a bucket. Take the other and blow low pressure air (20-30 psi) and blow all the old coolant out.

All that and a 5gal bucket (which I have seen before) sounds like the best way to go.
Thanks everyone !
Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 PM

I'm not an avid environmentalist and get very angry with all the epa guidlines, but DON'T POLUTE THE WATERWAYS!!!! OR THE GROUND!!!! That is exactly why we have so many regulations and expense for disposal. Have you ever seen an animal after it drinks a little antifreeze? There is nothing a vet can do for them other that put it to sleep. It is one of the worst deaths an animal can experience. Then if it is in the waterways, fish live in it and people eat the fish. The story can go on with many examples. Remember, DON'T WILLFULLY POLUTE