24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil in coolant but no coolant in oil?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil in coolant but no coolant in oil?

Ok so far this has me stumped.I went to a Chrysler dealership to pick up a bike I was building so while backing up stoping moving repeat in this small area my rig overheated.Nasty brown cooliant the p.o. must have let it sit for a long time.I paid my x helper to flush it & I thought he did I was wrong.
******* Well topd it off with water drove around 80 miles pulled into mc Donalds while in drive through it overheated.I figured from running on low cooliant.Topd off &figured Id do all new filters &fluid next weekend.Well a few days ago I did a powerbrake for about 30 secs & she got hot.Then a day or 2 later while driving it felt like it was periodically surging or stumbling.I checked the inline fuel filter that runs off of the faes hpfp I don't think it had ever been changed. It had little rocks in it& everything else.Ran better afterwards. Well then tonite I made about a 100 mile run & for the last 25 miles I ran full throttle (had a good reason).Well pulled into store left her running went in bought a sodapop when I came out I noticed it had puked everywhere. Took home let it cool
And* checked the cooliant & I noticed that there was a slight rainbow film on top of my cooliant.
*********** So.I check the oil in every way no milkshake no cooliant in oil.So I didnt have access to a hose but I pulled bottom hose&poured about 20 gallons through.Now I know that's not really cleaning it out but till tomorrow or tues is has to do.Now when I pulled the bottom hose I caught this junk in the picture it is I belive oil as it rose to the top & I skimmed it off for the pix.
****** I Put it back back together started it up didn't notice any bubbling &if I remember if its a blown head gasket cracked block it should bubble.Well put cap back on let it run for a few mins pulled it off &cooliant shoot out but wasn't really hot let it idle to operating temp took it for a ride under 2 mins heat rose fast.Turned heat on&within halfPl min it was back where it should be.drove 20 miles no overheating pulled the cap off a few times no rainbow film no signs of oil.
******* Here's a few things I found the thermostat housing is putting off some heat, no change in ac@all, if I squeeze the upper rad hose with the cap off cooliant will come out .Im not sure if that means thermostat isnt opening?
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.This truck did habe oil allover the front of the motor the po kids rolled it down a hill into some trees the whole front end eas tottaled & pushed in till I rebuilt it.Like I said I see no build up now so hoping it was just needing cleaned.
Name:  20150518_001510.jpg
Views: 30005
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  20150518_010305.jpg
Views: 26837
Size:  72.9 KB
Name:  20150518_010210.jpg
Views: 27825
Size:  103.6 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Nasty looking coolant. You possibly have a blown head gasket. You can get oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, or even both depending on how/where the head gasket broke. I've seen a slight sheen in my coolant when I changed it last time.

For the overheating, do you still have the oil breather bottle (puke bottle) mounted on the front of the engine? If you do, your radiator is likely clogged. The vapors from the bottle collect on the radiator fins, which then collect dirt/dust. Won't be visible from the back (fan) side of the raditor, the front side gets blocked off.

Name:  DSC03815.jpg
Views: 26994
Size:  259.4 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Yes I still have it so guess I need 2 pull radiator
Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Administrator

If you have to clean your radiator, be careful. High water pressure and/or aggressive scrubbing will bend the fins.

Squeezing the upper hose with the cap off doesn't prove anything regarding the thermostat. Normally the cooling system is a closed system. Any overpressure is diverted by the radiator cap into the overflow bottle. With the cap off, and squeezing the upper hose, it is normal for the coolant to go out the radiator neck.

It is also possible that your thermostat is bad, especially given the condition of your coolant. Don't ever run one of these engines without a thermostat in place. Not only do they regulate the temperature, it is also a key part for the coolant to flow in the right directions. Also, if you replace your thermostat, replace it with a Cummins thermostat, not one from the autoparts store.

What year is your truck?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:32 PM

T stat is @ 190 but not getting higher but Truck is running hot what I mean by that is if I try to take rad cap off it boils put
Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you pulled the radiator and really cleaned it? A good dip tank internal cleaning is probably need also if you can find a shop that still does it. Just throwing it out as I don't see where you are located, but Roppel Radiator in Louisville has accomplished magic for me several times.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:58 PM

Ok so I noticed a hole on the driver side of the water pump its perfectly round & its leaking water.I thought the only hole was @the 7 oclock position
Im in Missouri, heres what's going on as of right now bought a new t stat but boiled old 1 it opened up so t stat is fine.I drove 50 miles no overheating. But everything felt really hot should I still put in new t stat? I Have a kid who Im building a custom subframe for his car&he is renting a pressure tester&buying a water pump.Now if the headgasket is bad Im guessing the pressure tester will tell us so?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To check for a head gasket let the engine cool overnite then start it up and hold the rpm around 1000 1200 for a few min. Let the truck run and check the top rad hose if its had as a rock you are building pressure from a blown head gasket.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM

What about the hole in water pump?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 PM

If it leaks you have blown the seal out, then you need a new pump!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 PM

quick answer needed I don't know what I'm doing but this pressure tester but I pumped it up to 50 pounds and it held is that good or bad
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Sorry 26 psi
Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 PM

Ok you have a pressure tester, one more test pump it to 30lbs and with the engine off and pressure holding roll the engine over by hand and see if the pressure drops. What this is looking for is a crack in the cylinder wall sometimes the piston sits on the crack sealing it thats why you need to roll the engine
Old 05-18-2015, 11:35 PM

, I replaced the water pump flushed the radiator took a 60 mile trip to a burger place while in drive thru temperatures got up around 220 hop on the highway drop back down to 190 actually soon as I started moving what's going on I'm at the pressure tested fine I'm going to make sure its cool and see if I see any residue back in the system
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Flushing out the radiator is ok, but since the coolant was neglected, you may have some clogged tubes inside your radiator. A flush will not clear the tubes. A radiator shop can rod out the tubes and then boil it completely clean. They'll also flow and pressure test it. Or you can get a new one.

The way I see it you have three things affecting your cooling system:

1 - Possibility of clogged tubes inside radiator due to previous neglect.
2 - Likely to have oil gunk and dust clogging the outside of the radiator due to the breather bottle still in its original location.
3 - Questionable thermostat due to previous neglect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil in coolant but no coolant in oil?