1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I nearly wrecked my truck... or at least that's how it felt ......

Always..... I mean ALWAYS trust your spidey senses, if you have them...

For a week or so, my truck's steering felt odd. almost as if the road had too much input to the positioning of the brick. Usually the brick stays straight,and doesn't wander at all. I went to make a turn, and it felt as though I was on ice. Pulled over, and found my pitman arm locking nut had loosened up, and the arm was swaying left and right on the input shaft of the gear. No tools onboard, so I limped it back home. Should have seen all the bozos behind me beeping to the old dude in the old truck going slow....

Got it home, and the nut / lockwasher nearly fell off... Cleaned everything back up, found no damage to the splines, and bolted it back up with a little locktite this time... 185 ft lbs if anyone needs to know. PUt some white paint on there to ensure it stays, as I'll be inspecting it frequently from now on, and all I need is a looksey...

Looks like you have the mid 70's steering set up/frame saver...Fancy! Where did you find the gear box cradle??
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Looks like you have the mid 70's steering set up/frame saver...Fancy! Where did you find the gear box cradle??
I want to do that to mine. that is if I don't/can't cross steer it.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today i "de gelled" my truck, some diesel 911 and a salamander heater and some tarps and she was good to go! (Note to self, don't put fuel from summer into a truck during the winter)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Took m a while to accumulate parts. Gear box is custom too. Www.powersteering.com did my gear as its a fast ratio . custom steer shaft.

See the whole deal here :https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/steering-gear-retrofit-my-92-a-301769/
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Took m a while to accumulate parts. Gear box is custom too. Power Steering Services, Inc. - www.PowerSteering.com - 1-417-739-9010 | Modern Steering For Classic Cars did my gear as its a fast ratio . custom steer shaft.

See the whole deal here :https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...y-92-a-301769/
Thanks for the link NJT! Thought I was going to score a cradle a while back. I saw a pretty intact mid 70's D200 in the JY but it had a steering set up similar to mine. I DID score a steering brace out of a RC though.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Took m a while to accumulate parts. Gear box is custom too. Power Steering Services, Inc. - www.PowerSteering.com - 1-417-739-9010 | Modern Steering For Classic Cars did my gear as its a fast ratio . custom steer shaft.

See the whole deal here :https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...y-92-a-301769/
This is on my "to do" list. I have a friend down in Oregon who has rounded up all the hard to find parts for me. Now I need to get down there to pick them up.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went and started my truck this morning in the -15 degree weather and it fired right up after a slow crank, went inside to get ready for work and when i went back out the truck was off. Hopped in and fired it up again with my foot on the pedal a bit. Then she started spitterin and sputterin so i shut it down. Guess that couple of gallons of # heating oil i put in there don't like the cold! Looks like i need a torpedo heater and some tarps...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plugged the truck in last night on a timer to come on at 4am. Woke up 7 degree's outside and no power. House was getting cold. Tried to start the gas powered generator and it wouldn't turn over fast enough to fire. Jumped into the truck to go get some LP for a portable heater and the old girl fired right up. Apparently 7 degree's isn't cold enough to keep her from starting. This is my first winter with the truck and continuing to be impressed.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
It was -30F* here this morning.
I would plug it in for that sort of temps., for a couple of hours, but I didn't need to fire it up this morning.

Unless it is below -15F* here in the morning, I just cycle the grid heater once and then turn the key.
I get the idle to just under 1000 RPM, watch the oil pressure, and let it warm up for a few minutes in the driveway.
Then I drive it easy for a couple of miles, just easy throttle input and revs about 1800 - 2000 RPMs.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA
Plugged the truck in last night on a timer to come on at 4am. Woke up 7 degree's outside and no power. House was getting cold. Tried to start the gas powered generator and it wouldn't turn over fast enough to fire. Jumped into the truck to go get some LP for a portable heater and the old girl fired right up. Apparently 7 degree's isn't cold enough to keep her from starting. This is my first winter with the truck and continuing to be impressed.
Yes the only time I havent gotten mine to start was during an emergency. The truck had been sitting in the -20F for a week without being plugged in. If I drove it the night prior it will still start in -25F, but it wont like it lol.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Yep liking the old truck more and more.....
Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM

I nearly wrecked my truck... or at least that's how it felt ......

Always..... I mean ALWAYS trust your spidey senses, if you have them...

For a week or so, my truck's steering felt odd. almost as if the road had too much input to the positioning of the brick. Usually the brick stays straight,and doesn't wander at all. I went to make a turn, and it felt as though I was on ice. Pulled over, and found my pitman arm locking nut had loosened up, and the arm was swaying left and right on the input shaft of the gear. No tools onboard, so I limped it back home. Should have seen all the bozos behind me beeping to the old dude in the old truck going slow....

Got it home, and the nut / lockwasher nearly fell off... Cleaned everything back up, found no damage to the splines, and bolted it back up with a little locktite this time... 185 ft lbs if anyone needs to know. PUt some white paint on there to ensure it stays, as I'll be inspecting it frequently from now on, and all I need is a looksey...

That looks like the old nut. replace with new.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
That looks like the old nut. replace with new.
It was new when I put the gear in originally. Not this time, as I had to put it together ASAP. Needed to drive the truck.

I'm looking into a new nut / washer, but not sure if it's 7/8 -14 or not. Seems to be one of the few sizes out there that are commercially available.

Waiting to hear back from Chip..
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 PM

It was new when I put the gear in originally. Not this time, as I had to put it together ASAP. Needed to drive the truck.

I'm looking into a new nut / washer, but not sure if it's 7/8 -14 or not. Seems to be one of the few sizes out there that are commercially available.

Waiting to hear back from Chip..

Good. Cause those are a one time use on the norm.

your case use this Threadlocker Gels : Permatex® Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE Gel let it setup
Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
I drove it today for the first time in almost a month. Realized my 2 year old P/S door speaker is blown and I got reminded how noisy the cab is from vibrations in the cold.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?