1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nope no O ring that I have ever seen .Try hitting the screw's on the pump top with a Allen head wrench and see if maybe they have come Loose?May just be the Garbage fuel we get to put in these truck's just ruined the seal.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

Also noticed that the push on inlet fuel line fitting running into the lift pump seems to be leaking as well. Are there O-rings in this fitting? I can't recall from when I had them off.
There wasn't an oring in mine when I changed it last week. I have had the plastic locking clip crack before and not hold it tight causing leaks.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by RamGuy84
Nope no O ring that I have ever seen .Try hitting the screw's on the pump top with a Allen head wrench and see if maybe they have come Loose?May just be the Garbage fuel we get to put in these truck's just ruined the seal.
Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
There wasn't an oring in mine when I changed it last week. I have had the plastic locking clip crack before and not hold it tight causing leaks.
Was thinking about the Allen head bolts loosening.....will give them a crank.

OK...No O-ring. Will pop if loose and see if the retaining clip is cracked/broken.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
which housings did you use? i've heard some complaints about the pattern on some of the knock off h4 housings. i really like the pattern of the hella e-codes, really nice cut off on low beam, and they are H4 bulbs as well. i have the diode between the relays for simultaneous high/low beam operation, they are awesome at night on the deer filled back roads of Virginia.
ANZOUSA I wanna say. Got them thru orileys at $22 each, then updated the bulbs to the sylvania H4's at $55/pair. So got about $100 into them
Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I pulled both the crew cabs off the road today for the winter.

I am looking out the window and snow is everywhere.
I am guessing some highway guy couldn't help himself and salted the roads last night.

Time to write up the winter things to fix list and leave it on the driver seat so I don't forget a project.

One of the big one is get my reverse rotation steering box rebuild so I can put it on the lifted white crew.
I think Mr.Fusion used Chip for his RR steering box rebuild…Any other people have a comment on a good rebuilder to send it too?
Since I have ALL winter, I am not in a rush for quick turn around.

I am off to the shop to swap the summer tires for the winters on the Blue Donkey ['95 RCLB, 12V, NV-4500 4x4, 2500]. I oiled it down with Bar and Chain oil two weeks ago.
I had mine rebuilt by Chip. It looks good but I haven't put it into service yet. You might want to call him. When I got mine rebuilt 6-8 months ago he was thinking of semi-retiring. I'll probably be sending him my PS pump for a rebuild if he's still in business. His company name is Power Steering Service.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
I had mine rebuilt by Chip. It looks good but I haven't put it into service yet. You might want to call him. When I got mine rebuilt 6-8 months ago he was thinking of semi-retiring. I'll probably be sending him my PS pump for a rebuild if he's still in business. His company name is Power Steering Service.
the PS pump and lines need to be changed when the gear is replaced.

i bought a napa pump, replaced it 3 times and finally bought a pump from Chip and haven't had any issue since
Old 10-20-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Thanks, boys.
Sounds like I will send out a spare NON I/Ced style, power steering pump at the same time for a rebuild.
The white crew cab steering system is ready for a little love.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Today,

I changed my front diff gear oil, and my transfer case oil. While under there, I noticed a bit of seeping at the speedo takeoff. So I decided to touch it. Well, it literally lifted right off. No pulling, no yanking no effort at all. It was wobbling a bit, so I decided to see how far it would come off. Well it came off.

Thoughts ?

Name:  1020151719c_zpskadbdjbc.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  1020151719b_zpsjrumwi4g.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  149.7 KB

Name:  1020151719_zpsjwltzxxy.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
T-man,
That looks just like you said on the phone,.. that is wild.
I have never seen one just pull apart like that.
If nobody else has a solution to fix that, I have can dig up a spare.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
T-man,
That looks just like you said on the phone,.. that is wild.
I have never seen one just pull apart like that.
If nobody else has a solution to fix that, I have can dig up a spare.
I swear to Hillary Clinton !!! I simply lifted it off. No stress, no yanking, no pulling...

Although I'm sure Bill can't say the same...
Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
PATC makes them. i know myself and thrashingcows have purchased from them. was able to correct my speedo to match up with the 33" tires too!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
the PS pump and lines need to be changed when the gear is replaced.

i bought a napa pump, replaced it 3 times and finally bought a pump from Chip and haven't had any issue since
Yeah I know. Everything: pump gear hoses etc is being changed out at the same time. I'm also hydroboosting it at the same time. I just have to do things bit by bit. Ya' know the old saying: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Mine goes more like: How do you pay for an elephant? A little bit at a time!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Installed the steering box frame brace early this morning - bottom most bolt wouldn't budge till coffee made me realize I had forgotten it was a splined bolt like a wheel stud. Gorilla torqued the bolts, sorry no pics, laying on my back under a greasy b$tch is what I do without a camera.

Then I installed some DRW tailgate running lamps, hoping to better my lowly SRW truck.

Used thrashingcows spacing photograph...

Fished a single 16ga wire, and spliced the bulb leads into 5 individual loops, soldered, taped, etc. etc.

Ran the now loomed wire with an inline weatherproof quick disconnect under & into the tail lamp housing, and done.

Then, since I was still not in the same category as a blue blooded LE truck, I decided to add a cargo lamp to my poor cousin wannabe SE.

A few minutes with a cutting wheel...

Even SE trucks came with the cargo lamp switch & wires in the harness; imagine that!

j.fonder doesn't even realize I stole his freshly painted steering brace & an LE cargo lamp from his workbench

Finally -

Old 10-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Chip...where did you run the wiring through on the gate to the body? Through the center of one of the hinge/pivot points?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Yes, as I can pull out the weatherproof connector through there.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?