1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Once back home I decided to quiet up my rattly muffler. It's a 4" straight through unit and I have 4-3 adapters on either end so I could use it on my OEM 3" exhaust. The adapters have been held in with screws, then rivets and now larger self tapping screws.....each time I do this they eventually work loose.

While I had the muffler and tailpipe off I cleaned them up, knocked off the scaly rust, sanded and SOS padded them, then gave the muffler a new coat of paint, and the tailpipe was starting to get a little too rusty so I ended up painting it as well to maybe get another year or two out of it.....Hey it's an old replacement unit and I have been using it for over 7 years now, and it was old when I got it.

Name:  IMG_20170618_000358_zpsz4dzy9wf.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  104.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Then I decided I would tear apart, clean and inspect the spare set of injectors Dan (dan123dbl) sent me to try in my motor to see if the noise changes, or goes away with a known set of decent OEM injectors.

Only problem was one of the injectors had stripped threads on the return line port. But I had my old 9mm injectors so I took one and pulled it apart. After looking at everything carefully, and checking and measuring things it appears that the main bodies are the same....Sweet! Only thing I could find different was right at the inlet on the injector, the 9mm has an open port, the 7mm has what is called a edge filter.

Name:  IMG_20170615_224206_zpsgtnieojp.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  125.6 KB

Tore them all down, cleaned everything, made sure the tips were not blocked and then re-assembled using 2 cycle oil for lubrication.

Name:  IMG_20170617_224529_zps7ofyi36t.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  144.4 KB
Name:  IMG_20170617_232757_zpszbfrawy1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  135.1 KB
NJTman (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes,
Yes In-N-Out started here nearby in Baldwin Park in 1948 so I think is a hometown thing but I also like the food, real simple menu, you have 2 choices, hamburgers or cheeseburger.
In-N-Out Burger
We also like Norms, Sonic, Red Robin and Wendy's and whenever we get to Huntington Beach, its Ruby's at the end of the pier.
I seem to have a problem with birthdays and Christmas, nobody knows what to get me, because if I need something, I will somehow get it but my wife and son have gotten some pretty cool presents in the past like driving a 150 mph NASCAR sprint car, Disneyland Passes, Helicopter rides, time in a jet flight simulator, had my truck washed and hand detailed but next on my wish list is an evening flight aboard an old radial engine SNJ war bird where they fly up the coast and back.
Jim
thrashingcows (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Oldest daughter asked if we could go to the lake today to do some kayaking....I told her of course! Loaded up the kayaks in the back of the truck and buzzed out to a lake to paddle around for a while.

Then once we were done loaded things into the back of the truck and I realized I locked the keys in the truck....Doooh! Good think I had a couple bungee chords in the back of the truck. Was able to bend, twist and shape them so I could jimmy the vent window open. Those hooks don't bend so easy, nor does that vent window latch like to move. Probably took 30 min to get in, but with my daughters help we finally did it.
Hey T-cows
That looks like a lot of fun,
I notice you sure do a lot with your daughter(s),
I like that,

So do I,

I started to take mine with me to work, now she thinks she has to go with me every day, that was about five or six years ago it's funny how that works.

I have a Supra lockbox on my truck that has a spare door, ignition and fuel cap key for the event I loose or lock my keys inside my truck.

Jim
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I was taking a look at the springs that Jim Lane brought me last night. I think that with the springs that are on my truck and these that I can make my ride a bit more tolerable. I plan to add some air-bags for those rare times I need to haul something really heavy.

I also saw this today, I bet Jim will know what's wrong with the TV.

Jim I thoroughly enjoyed dinner with you and your daughter. Tell Rebecca I said HI!

Edwin
Hey Edwin,
Thank you for the invitation for dinner, It was sure nice to be able to meet at NORMS, talk and not have to rush back to work.
Rebecca and I had fun sitting and talking of old times way back when valves became vacuum tubes, klystrons and AM transmitters were the thing of the day, well she didn't understand because she was busy with her ice cream, but I had fun.

TV looks like it might have lost vertical deflection, smack the side of the cabinet and see if the picture comes back,

if it doesn't you might want to pull the tubes out and take them down to your local Thrifty's and check them on the tube tester.

Should have a pretty nasty pattern burn by now, this looks like a surveillance system at a local Pic-N-Save

Jim
Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Oldest daughter asked if we could go to the lake today to do some kayaking....I told her of course! Loaded up the kayaks in the back of the truck and buzzed out to a lake to paddle around for a while.

Then once we were done loaded things into the back of the truck and I realized I locked the keys in the truck....Doooh! Good think I had a couple bungee chords in the back of the truck. Was able to bend, twist and shape them so I could jimmy the vent window open. Those hooks don't bend so easy, nor does that vent window latch like to move. Probably took 30 min to get in, but with my daughters help we finally did it.
Looks like you had fun.....

Keep a spare in your wallet. Put your wallet in a zip lock bag and keep it in your kayak. Can't tell you how many times a month I use that key
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Finally took it to WOT with the new spinny-things.

Still have a number of loose ends to address (tuning, air-filter plumbing, sensors, HVAC plumbing, etc).

Name:  closer_zps0kjssma1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  630.5 KB

Still working on it . . .
The following 4 users liked this post by BC847:
1STGENFARMBOY (06-19-2017), edwinsmith (06-18-2017), NJTman (06-18-2017), thrashingcows (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I pulled the side molding off before it all fell off (stupid plastic clips!)and got lost or hit a car on the free way.
What a bunch of crud it had under it.

pretty sure I have some of those clips in the garage, let me know if you want them.
mknittle (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Looks like you had fun.....

Keep a spare in your wallet. Put your wallet in a zip lock bag and keep it in your kayak. Can't tell you how many times a month I use that key
I finally put a spare set in my wallet after the second time locking my keys in the ignition.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Hey Edwin,
Thank you for the invitation for dinner, It was sure nice to be able to meet at NORMS, talk and not have to rush back to work.
Rebecca and I had fun sitting and talking of old times way back when valves became vacuum tubes, klystrons and AM transmitters were the thing of the day, well she didn't understand because she was busy with her ice cream, but I had fun.

TV looks like it might have lost vertical deflection, smack the side of the cabinet and see if the picture comes back,

if it doesn't you might want to pull the tubes out and take them down to your local Thrifty's and check them on the tube tester.

Should have a pretty nasty pattern burn by now, this looks like a surveillance system at a local Pic-N-Save

Jim
Actually it's at a Stater Bros. I'm pretty sure the only bottle in it is the CRT. Prices being what they are it would be far cheaper to drop it in the dumpster and replace it with a shiny new LCD unit with the LED backlight.

That tube tester sure brings back memories. I had a Hickcock portable model that was older than I was and still worked great. It went with all of the other tubes and SAMS data packs when I sold my TV shop back in the early 80's. I got out of the business just in time.

Edwin
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I finally put a spare set in my wallet after the second time locking my keys in the ignition.
Every vehicle that I own has a spare key hidden on it. I make it a bit difficult for me to get to it and I know where it is. I don't put them in my wallet, because, when they rob an American in Mexico,they take everything. That is the same reason that I have the bare minimum on me when I bop around down here...Mark
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Every vehicle that I own has a spare key hidden on it. I make it a bit difficult for me to get to it and I know where it is. I don't put them in my wallet, because, when they rob an American in Mexico,they take everything. That is the same reason that I have the bare minimum on me when I bop around down here...Mark
I need to do that instead. It's a better idea. Then my wife will have the same protection. What sort of box do you keep them in? One of those magnet things?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I need to do that instead. It's a better idea. Then my wife will have the same protection. What sort of box do you keep them in? One of those magnet things?
I do, but I never rely on the magnet. On the Cummins, I stuck it inside one of those square tubes that come off the frame. I used a coat hanger wire to make a rigid hook that I use to push it in deep and to be able to retrieve it. One trick that I use is to just put the key that will get me into the truck or whichever vehicle and the other keys are hidden inside, This would be the only advantage of having a different ignition key than the door key. (I don't have this advantage). I also have some sort of ignition kill switch. On the Cummins, I just ran a SPST switch from the Shut down solenoid to ground. Augie asked me about doing that on his rig, but I don't know if it would affect the PCM or not. My rig doesn't have one. It gives me some, maybe false, peace of mind...Mark P.S. Please, any thieves out there, don't come get my key now that you MAY know where it is ...Also, I couldn't find a real good, secure location on my new 2017 4Runner (Thanks VW) so I used some Nausua brand (the best) Aluminum duct tape to help secure it, that stuff is great and I always have a roll of it in my rig...
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Mark, you ever get those trash mail credit cards? The ones that say one phone call activates your card? Also when you stay in hotels you get card keys? What about used up Starbucks cards and such? Stash all those, in a dummy wallet, LOL, and that's what you give the thief. Carry that one in the opposite pocket, and hand them that one. No lie, had a co worker do that, as he was being robbed at gunpoint.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (06-18-2017), thrashingcows (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Maybe throw a twenty dollar bill in there, too, as they see green along with a thick a$$ wallet stuffed with bogus cards, they'll get the heck out of there.

As far as spare keys go, got one zip tied to my auxiliary tranny cooler, at one of the ATF lines. Only need a knife to get to it. Everyone carries a knife, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (06-18-2017), thrashingcows (06-18-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?