1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Well she did it to me again

So, any damage from the mud incident ?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Looks like someone backed over the neighbors cat.

Was a hose leaking or the cooler itself?
I bought replacement TOC hose for mine at O'Reillys.

Jim
Old 04-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Looks like someone backed over the neighbors cat.

Was a hose leaking or the cooler itself?
I bought replacement TOC hose for mine at O'Reillys.

Jim
Thought it was a loose hose. Put in new clamps and 5 qts of fluid. Started it up and witnessed a deluge of red under the truck. Cooler chit the bit. Bypassed it and continued.

Probably lost about a half quart testing. Took 8 qts. total to bring it up to the line. Been using it a little. Seems OK except for shifter won't go into first. Must be linkage or rooster comb. Probably not related to the fluid loss.

When the driveway gets better and I don't need Blue to escape, I'll put it into NATCO and have them do a filter change, band and linkage, and inspect what they can from below. Judging from the way it shifts, I don't expect anything bad.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Thank you, kindly Jim. Looks sweet.

I just found the hungry diesels website, but they don't showcase a head being available from them. Did you special order it? Funny I couldn't find an listings for it
Give Eric a call. He's the man running the show there. He made it all happen and is who I coordinated everything with. Good guy to deal with. Gets very busy at times as you can probably imagine being the sole proprietor of a business but he'll take care of you. You can mention my name if you'd like.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Tried a couple projects today...drained some coolant and went to install a temporary Temp sensor in the blind plug on top of the T-stat area on the head....seems that the temp probe is too long, so that didn't work out.

Then I thought I would get the spare tire holder, and spare tire installed up under the back of the truck. Cut some redi-rod and made a J-hook and rolled the tire under and onto the holder. Then I tried several times to lift the tire and holder, up into place...tire kept falling off onto me. What a horrible design! So think I will look for one of the cable driven spare tire holders and have it so that pulls the tire up into place, then the holder can be installed easily.

Then I adjusted my valves, been a couple years. Few were out a little, mostly on the exhaust side...but not bad.

And did a little work on my custom mirrors...more to come on those when i finish the project.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Spent 5 hours today prepping for the flex plate replacement. Drive lines off, all fluids at tranny and NP205 drained. Adjusted the rear band while I had the pan out, and installed a new filter. Next weekend, the transfer case drops first, then the tranny.
Today was a tough day. Almost, swore, that after I fix the flexplate the truck gets sold...I thought it, which was close enough for me.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Tried a couple projects today...drained some coolant and went to install a temporary Temp sensor in the blind plug on top of the T-stat area on the head....seems that the temp probe is too long, so that didn't work out.

Then I thought I would get the spare tire holder, and spare tire installed up under the back of the truck. Cut some redi-rod and made a J-hook and rolled the tire under and onto the holder. Then I tried several times to lift the tire and holder, up into place...tire kept falling off onto me. What a horrible design! So think I will look for one of the cable driven spare tire holders and have it so that pulls the tire up into place, then the holder can be installed easily.

Then I adjusted my valves, been a couple years. Few were out a little, mostly on the exhaust side...but not bad.

And did a little work on my custom mirrors...more to come on those when i finish the project.
My spare tire has been off for about a year now, last time I tried to put it back up I wasted about an hour under the truck trying to get onto the carrier and then when I tried to get my floor jack under it,
It fell off again, really frustrating.
Do you have a class IV or V reciever on your truck?
Has it been modified ?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts

I think this is the way to go.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Spent 5 hours today prepping for the flex plate replacement. Drive lines off, all fluids at tranny and NP205 drained. Adjusted the rear band while I had the pan out, and installed a new filter. Next weekend, the transfer case drops first, then the tranny.
Today was a tough day. Almost, swore, that after I fix the flexplate the truck gets sold...I thought it, which was close enough for me.
If you sell it the next owner won't have one problem for many years
And you will buy another one and start over Ask me how I know
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
If you sell it the next owner won't have one problem for many years
And you will buy another one and start over Ask me how I know

Well said Mark!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I drive a dually for 2 reasons. 1 is stability when pulling trailers. The other is that I have 2 tested spares mounted at all times. If a rear fails, I can roll slow to a tire shop. If a front fails I can move a rear to the front and roll slow to a tire shop. I'm going to mount an auxiliary fuel tank where the spare tire was.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Well said Mark!
Thanks Oliver,
Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
So think I will look for one of the cable driven spare tire holders and have it so that pulls the tire up into place, then the holder can be installed easily.

Thrashing, if you come across a cable drive that will work, would you please let us know. I have been trying to figure out how to do this for some time. I carry my spare on my flat bed, but when I hook my 5ver I have to strap it on top of my tool box to get it out of he way, or put it inside my travel trailer. I really don't like doing either.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 AM

I think today I will dig out my old Buell X1 lightning and get it ready to sell.
I can't ride it any more so I may as well get some truck money out of it before it dry rots. Should get enough to get the truck rolling. Finished not hardly

This is what it looked like when I was last able to ride it.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-100_1861.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-100_1867.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Well I finished up my ride late last night, I got the new grommets for the side cover on. Put the pump back in, move the CPS for the fluid damper. Put the radiator back in with new hoses, filled it up and went for a cruise. With new springs and throttle levers on the pump, and the 366 spring, it is definetly more responsive to the throttle. With my valves adjusted and the heavier valve springs it runs a idles smoother not as much chatter. The fluid damper helped a lot over 60 mph, it sounds and feels a ton smoother.

I ran around for about an hour then let it idle while I checked for leaks, so far no leaks so I must have done something right!

I left trashed the noise panel that went over the side cover, after not driving it all week I honestly can't tell if it is any louder with out it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?