1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Today the my piston lift pump, as well as the fluid damper showed up. Managed to get the tappet cover gasket changed and the Lp installed before I ran out of time.
Make sure that you also replace the SIX rubber grommets under the heads of the bolts that retain the tappet cover or you will probably have an oil leak soon after.

Also Cummins claims there are only 4 required.

Jim
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
The reman'd Cummins cylinder head from Eric at Hungry Diesel finally arrived Tuesday afternoon. Although it wasn't packaged the way Eric had initially packed it. The lid wasn't fastened to the crate and was only held down by two steel straps. It must have rolled a time or two inside because I found the head upside down and the wrapping torn open as evidenced by the superficial rust on 5 and 6 . Why the crate wasn't built to a size only slightly larger than the head, I dunno. I sure wouldn't have done it differently.

The head is a "new" reman'd unit bought through Cummins. It's been o-ringed with .062" stainless steel wire with a protrusion of .012". Hamilton Cam 165lbs. valve springs, retainers and collets, 3-angle valve job (back cutting of the valve heads) and a mild port and polish.

Name:  20160329_173709_zpsxwifru3a.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  744.3 KB

Name:  20160329_174929_zpsdkquczvm.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  220.6 KB

Name:  20160329_175158_zpstkncv6r1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  248.4 KB

Name:  20160329_175216_zpsfjqqdzkr.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  162.7 KB

The extent of the "damage" that I can see with my naked eye is a little scuffing on #1 intake valve spring retainer.

Name:  20160329_175555_zpsymxenbg4.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  441.1 KB

I'm not sure what the chances are of any stems being bent from the abuse. But, for what I've got in this motor up to this point, I'm not risking anything. I'm getting this thing to a local machine shop to have the valves pulled and checked. Even if things check out ok, I'm still gonna give the shipping company what for and tell them they're getting the bill for the work.

I also got word from the machine shop that the shortblock is complete and ready to go. It won't be until Monday when I can go get it. I still have a few more parts to order but that will happen shortly.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Any specs on performance increase from the head alone ? So, if you bolted it on a stock sb, what are they saying the hp increase would be ?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 PM

No specs were mentioned in regards to an increase in performance. I'll have no way of knowing what it does as for improvements as the block got a Hamilton 182-214 cam. With that, the 3-angle valve job and mild port and polish, it should be a bit more efficient moving some air though.

I'd have to say though, like most other fuel and air upgrades, 2 engines could respond differently from one another even though identical modifications were made.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Make sure that you also replace the SIX rubber grommets under the heads of the bolts that retain the tappet cover or you will probably have an oil leak soon after.

Also Cummins claims there are only 4 required.

Jim
As dry and cracked as they looked I'm sure they would leak as soon as I started it. I had ordered what I thought were those, but what I got from cummins were not the correct seals for the bolts. So I put the old ones back on just to keep the dirt out and had to reorder today. Hope they are right this time.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
good info about the grommets. I should have replaced mine as I've had mine on and off a couple times now. This time though I dabbed a layer of ultra black rtv under the grommets and tightened em down.

Jimbo, nice head. Looks like it is a brazilian casting. Looks pretty clean too.

nice call on the Orings, it will be bullet proof at any PSI boost now! Mine has been running great, nothing like a brand new head and injectors to make things run smooth.

I noticed you have the newer style "top hat" style valve seals. That must be a new head to have those on there too. My chinese casting has them as well.

good call to get the head checked and flow tested after that rough ride.

Do you still have your old head? Do the casting numbers and swirl rating match to your original? The head shop I bought mine from said that our non i/c trucks have a rare high swirl industrial head.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Put a TC and flex plate in. And some machined springy thingys after dropping the valve body. All bilit of course.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Jimbo, nice head. Looks like it is a brazilian casting. Looks pretty clean too.

nice call on the Orings, it will be bullet proof at any PSI boost now! Mine has been running great, nothing like a brand new head and injectors to make things run smooth.

I noticed you have the newer style "top hat" style valve seals. That must be a new head to have those on there too. My chinese casting has them as well.

good call to get the head checked and flow tested after that rough ride.

Do you still have your old head? Do the casting numbers and swirl rating match to your original? The head shop I bought mine from said that our non i/c trucks have a rare high swirl industrial head.
I do still have the old head which I'll have to send back as a core now. When I get the new one back from the shop, I'll compare casting numbers. The Chinese casted head I've heard isn't the greatest but that's only opinions of others. I've always said that anything that goes on or in this motor will only be Genuine Cummins parts.

Any "new" head from Cummins will always be a reman'd unit. The top hat style valve seals are a newer design for the later heads. I received these in the upper engine gasket set I bought back in 2009 when I replaced the original head gasket. They didn't fit around the valve guides. Luckily, Cummins allowed me to return them and refunded their cost.

My decision to opt for a "new" head was to get away from the non i/c head with 9mm injector bores which are prone to cracking between them and the intake valve seat as they protrude slightly into the chamfer surrounding the valve seat (pictured below). Since Cummins has been aware of this issue, any "new" head you buy will be an i/c style, in regards to the injector bores, 7mm. No more nozzle adapters needed.

Name:  100_6953.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  577.2 KB

Here's a shot of my original head from when I replaced the original head gasket. I can make out the words "West Germany" at the rear of the intake manifold.

Name:  100_7005.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  626.4 KB
Old 04-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Jim,

Can you post a close up shot of the new cylinder head, like you did for the old head ? Curious to see the physical difference where the IC head has different (non interference) bores in the valve seat.

Thanks

Very interesting stuff you're posting here. Appreciated.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Jim,

Can you post a close up shot of the new cylinder head, like you did for the old head ? Curious to see the physical difference where the IC head has different (non interference) bores in the valve seat.

Thanks

I'll take a close-up once I get the head back in my possession.

The simple answer is that the original head, non i/c, has 9mm injector bores and the '91.5 and later 12v heads, i/c, have 7mm injector bores. The only "new" heads available will have the 7mm injector bores.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
Put a TC and flex plate in. And some machined springy thingys after dropping the valve body. All bilit of course.
Ofelas, whose FP and TC did you go with?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
My Chinese cummins head has the 7mm injector bore but the same exact high swirl Non i/c industrial style casting number listed on the inside of the intake plate. It works great so far, and looked like a well made piece. I guess it might be a POS but time will tell.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Today I was able to get the side cover all done, before I put the IP back on I installed the 366 spring, and put new levers and springs for the throttle. Hope I got them indexed correctly. Then I got the fluid damper installed, I don't think I will have to space the fan. I temporary installed the fan to check clearance and I can fit my stack of feelers in in the gap.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Jim,

Thanks

Here ya go, T man.

Name:  20160401_170827_zpsm4dnh7l9.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  626.9 KB

Picked up the head from the machine shop earlier. Everything checked out perfect. They were very impressed with the work that had been done. Said it was a very nice piece. As well as, "everything was t!ts" . They checked the valve stem lengths, installed height and pressure of the springs. All of which were identical to one another. Good thing for the amount of money I've got in this head alone.

Now I just need to place an order for the remaining parts on the list.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Thank you, kindly Jim. Looks sweet.

I just found the hungry diesels website, but they don't showcase a head being available from them. Did you special order it? Funny I couldn't find an listings for it

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?