1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
No amount of tabbing will stop your pin from recessing. It will stop it from walking forward into the timing case. You may find a couple bolts hard to get to without some creative tool making.
Isn't it supposed to be deeper than it is? Can't really go too deep.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
No amount of tabbing will stop your pin from recessing. It will stop it from walking forward into the timing case. You may find a couple bolts hard to get to without some creative tool making.
Isn't it supposed to be deeper than it is? Can't really be too deep.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Never pulled the timing cover on an NOS 12v, don't rightly know.

The couple Ive seen on low mileage engines were both 3/16" or so recessed.

Originally Posted by j_martin
Isn't it supposed to be deeper than it is? Can't really go too deep.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
That 3/4" torque wrench, where did you source that from? Non of the parts houses loan out a 3/4"; 1/2" is their largest. Going to check the rental yard next.
Harbor freight caries a 3/4 drive TW, but 300 ft lbs is the max

I guess you don't want to go with a torque multiplier....

So,

This is the one I bought.
SK Hand Tools 74600 3/4-Inch Drive Micrometer Adjustable "Clicker" Torque Wrench with Digital Readout 600 Ft lb - - Amazon.com SK Hand Tools 74600 3/4-Inch Drive Micrometer Adjustable "Clicker" Torque Wrench with Digital Readout 600 Ft lb - - Amazon.com

It's NLA from Amazon, as I bought mine 9 years ago.

They do have one that is a more than half the cost I spend on mine, but it's from some manufacturer I'm not familiar with. Lots of good reviews on it though

Amazon.com: Performance Tool M203 3/4" Drive Torque Wrench: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Performance Tool M203 3/4" Drive Torque Wrench: Home Improvement

BTW, if you do an amazon search for 3/4 " Torque wrench, lots of them come up.

BTW, the reason I have mine is because my Fuso requires a torque wrench that's over 390 ft lbs to torque the lug nuts. I believe I'm the only fool on the planet that torques his Medium Duty truck wheels to spec.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I guess you don't want to go with a torque multiplier....

So,

This is the one I bought. SK Hand Tools 74600 3/4-Inch Drive Micrometer Adjustable "Clicker" Torque Wrench with Digital Readout 600 Ft lb - - Amazon.com

It's NLA from Amazon, as I bought mine 9 years ago.

They do have one that is a more than half the cost I spend on mine, but it's from some manufacturer I'm not familiar with. Lots of good reviews on it though

Amazon.com: Performance Tool M203 3/4" Drive Torque Wrench: Home Improvement

BTW, if you do an amazon search for 3/4 " Torque wrench, lots of them come up.

BTW, the reason I have mine is because my Fuso requires a torque wrench that's over 390 ft lbs to torque the lug nuts. I believe I'm the only fool on the planet that torques his Medium Duty truck wheels to spec.
Explain about torque multiplier... How does it work, and what does it look like
Old 03-16-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Explain about torque multiplier... How does it work, and what does it look like
Think of it as a low range for your socket wrench.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Started sound proofing the cab today. Like most of us i drive my truck almost daily so keep that in mind before anyone gives me a hard time about only doing half lol. I will get the rest buttoned up in the next few days. I'm going to put a rubber style mat in instead of carpet, yall think that will be enough or should i put some carpet padding in as well. The quieter the better.

Pulling seat, center console and carpet.

All clean and wiped down with some industrial non residue glass cleaner

I used Fat Matt XXXtreme rattle trap. Thicker than Dynomat and went on very well. 1st time doing this so it was a learning experience

I think it's turning out well
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Couldn't hurt to toss a bit of underlay over top...would give the rubber mat a little more cushion....
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Couldn't hurt to toss a bit of underlay over top...would give the rubber mat a little more cushion....
You think the stuff from LMC or like what Mr. Lane used in operation silence
Old 03-16-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Made a KDP tab out of some thin scrap.

The KDP bolt and the bolt below and to the left were both sorta tight. Maybe 5 ft/lbs and the two bolts behind the cam gear were actually loose. Not out but just finger tight.
The two bolts at the lower corners outside of the cover were tight.

It's amazing how outta sight outta mind things can be. I'm glad I didn't wait one more second to do this!

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-f7jnjub.jpg
Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader93
Started sound proofing the cab today. Like most of us i drive my truck almost daily so keep that in mind before anyone gives me a hard time about only doing half lol. I will get the rest buttoned up in the next few days. I'm going to put a rubber style mat in instead of carpet, yall think that will be enough or should i put some carpet padding in as well. The quieter the better.

I used Fat Matt XXXtreme rattle trap. Thicker than Dynomat and went on very well. 1st time doing this so it was a learning experience

It looks good! Will be doing same in the not too distant future.
I had a 86 CUCV straight off a auction lot. It came stock with NO sound proofing at all, no carpet, ect. I used similar type of sound mat and regular jcwhitney carpet and easily cut the noise by 80%.

I'll probably end up using a rubber mat as well being in construction. I don't feel like vacuuming carpet weekly. Any extra insulation on top of the XXX will only help. If your after much improvement as possible you gotta do it
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Made a KDP tab out of some thin scrap.

The KDP bolt and the bolt below and to the left were both sorta tight. Maybe 5 ft/lbs and the two bolts behind the cam gear were actually loose. Not out but just finger tight.
The two bolts at the lower corners outside of the cover were tight.

It's amazing how outta sight outta mind things can be. I'm glad I didn't wait one more second to do this!

It's funny how the KDP gets more ink on the forums then the case bolts do...and it's almost always the case bolts that are sitting at a potentially disastrous state.

Glad you got them all sorted out!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Usually of a planetary design works on a known ratio between the drive and the driven, where 10 turns to the drive turns the driven output 1 turn, 10 to 1, stacked, a 3/8" ratchet can torque 1000 pounds of torque easly.

I used these a lot on heavy equipment and diesel engines where headbolts torque to 1000 lbs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ei4wBzd2kTbapQ

Also you need to keep a check on your torque wrench to make sure it is accurate, you used to be able to check them on a device inside the Snap On van for free, need to ask them now though.

There are several well stocked rental yards here that rent big torque wrenches.

Jim
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vader93

Looks great. some day I will get to mine. with a wife that spills stuff(usually sticky) and two dogs I will probably go with a rubber floor mat in lieu of carpet.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
It looks good! Will be doing same in the not too distant future.
I had a 86 CUCV straight off a auction lot. It came stock with NO sound proofing at all, no carpet, ect. I used similar type of sound mat and regular jcwhitney carpet and easily cut the noise by 80%.

I'll probably end up using a rubber mat as well being in construction. I don't feel like vacuuming carpet weekly. Any extra insulation on top of the XXX will only help. If your after much improvement as possible you gotta do it
And I thought I was the only one on the rubber mat train.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?