1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
whats unfortunate is that the E-codes are not DOT approved. they have a far better light pattern than the dot/sae housings. the cut off is really nice and not blinding what so ever. i set them up by having someone in a passenger car drive towards me to ensure that the cut-off was below "oh my god!" level, lol.

what needs to be banished is the cheap "HID" housings that just throw light all over the place and blind you from a mile away. even most of those are dot approved. junk.
they are approved, it is up to the end USER to adjust them to DOT specs. then they will NOT blind the on coming cars. NOT JUNK. the end user has a serious responsibility to adjust the lights PROPERLY !!!!!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jtamulonis
they are approved, it is up to the end USER to adjust them to DOT specs. then they will NOT blind the on coming cars. NOT JUNK. the end user has a serious responsibility to adjust the lights PROPERLY !!!!!
i think you misread my post. i was referring to the junk HID housings that have a terrible light pattern and throw light all over. you can't adjust them enough to make them acceptable in my opinion. feel like i'm beating a dead horse here. good day.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Being a commercial truck driver I have spoken to the DOT/CVSE guys a few times, they have noticed the problem with these "over bright" lights. They have been starting to crack down on these "aftermarket" lights, housings and lenses.

I have extremely good night vision...so I will stick with my old sealed beams.....
Actually lights with a lot of blue in them are hard on night vision. I prefer a more yellow light for that reason.

Originally Posted by j.fonder
i think you misread my post. i was referring to the junk HID housings that have a terrible light pattern and throw light all over. you can't adjust them enough to make them acceptable in my opinion. feel like i'm beating a dead horse here. good day.
Don't run away just because of one chap's opinion. I agree, by the way. Even a lot of factory automobile lamp housings are junk, though DOT approved.

The problem is compounded when the lenses get foggy, or salted, scattering the light. Compensating by putting in brighter lamps just makes it worse.

I'd like to see a rule with monitoring, with a maximum amount of light a measured distance and height in front of the vehicle for low beam. Maybe other measurements also. That would be the only way to compensate for both manufacturing carelessness and deterioration with use.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Replaced my tensioner pulley again today, belt had a noticeable odd wear pattern and was starting to squeak. The OEM one died a couple months ago and I tossed on a used spare unit I had. I had bought a replacement bearing/pulley and had it sitting.

Messed around a bit with my electric fan set-up...really didn't get any work done on it...just stared at things and tried to picture how to install everything.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
.really didn't get any work done on it...just stared at things and tried to picture how to install everything.
I do a lot of that
Old 02-21-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Just stared at things and tried to picture how to install everything.
Guilty!

Originally Posted by bigragu
Yeah! Jimbo, pm me your rough sketch, and I'll do my voodoo on it. Make sure to note metal thicknesses and steel dimensions
Thanks, Tman, for the recommendation
I just might do that then. I'll be sure to create a thread to showcase the building of it once I get it completed.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:09 PM

I did absolutely nothing to it today. I am expecting a king pin rebuild kit tomorrow though.
I am working up to attacking my exhaust tomorrow though. Nothing seems to fit like it should.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Pulled out a inop transfer tank fuel gauge in the overhead console and replaced it with a Volt Meter.

Topped off AC with 134 and cleaned up some rats nest wiring.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the G360 rebuilt, the transfer case resealed and new universal joints in both drive shafts. This weekend I installed a complete new clutch and all the rebuilt parts.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I resealed the 2wd G360 getrag top cover, output shaft and tailshaft housing.

during this I noticed koyo bearings inside, meaning that the transmission had been rebuilt already once. (with only 85k original and on the 2nd owner)

(no OEM timken)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I looked for timken for my NV4500 rebuild...but could not find them included in any of the kits out there that I found. So I went with the Koyo brand....hope they last.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Bought a few things for it: VE reseal kit, window tint, pump wrench and gear puller, ford voltage regulator, circuit breakers for tow wiring.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I did absolutely nothing to it today. I am expecting a king pin rebuild kit tomorrow though.
I am working up to attacking my exhaust tomorrow though. Nothing seems to fit like it should.
You going with PArtsMike's kit, Mark, or some other? Did you get the kit that just does the king pins, or the kit that comes with everything for the entire front axle? Do tell....
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
You going with PArtsMike's kit, Mark, or some other? Did you get the kit that just does the king pins, or the kit that comes with everything for the entire front axle? Do tell....
I got this one from Ventures I got it off E-bay 187.98 with free 2 day priority
shipping.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-kingpinkit.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I noticed koyo bearings inside, meaning that the transmission had been rebuilt already once.
I have the impression that pretty much anyone who towed on the highway (as in all of the retired RVer's who bought a bunch of these trucks new) ended up toasting the transmission in under 100k. Assembly errors and the original oil fill spec took their toll. I haven't seen any pics of your conversion for a while . . .

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?