1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
Adjusted valve "again". Think I might burn it. Lol. Just kidding. Still same noise
Seems we are both in the same boat....
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Just ordered a 38% underdrive ratio adapter for the getrag to spedometer sensor.

No more driving at 148mph in the slow lane.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1320Fastback:
NJTman (05-11-2017), thrashingcows (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I'll be ordering a new air ride seat for my Fuso in a few weeks or so, depending if it's in stock or not. If this seat fits well, and stops the discomfort of driving the truck, I'm most likely going to order a suspension kit for the dodge. My OEM dodge seat is in excellent shape, so installing an air ride suspension under it is my intent. I get to try it out in my Fuso first...
You'll have to keep us posted on how that works out. Been thinking of doing the same thing. My lower back ain't what it used to be.
thrashingcows (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
You'll have to keep us posted on how that works out. Been thinking of doing the same thing. My lower back ain't what it used to be.
Will do.

once I see how well the fuso rides, I'll order a ford base kit and do some fabricating, as the Air ride kit requires a flat surface to mount, vs our slanted cab floors. I don't see it being much of an issue now that I have my shop all set up for working.

One snag will be the height of the unit, as the rearward most section of our OEM seat stand is only about 2" high. I'm not really tall, (just really handsome) so it should work out okay for me. TC, James Comey, Donald Trump, and all the other zombie giants on this forum might have an issue with it....

I'll do a new thread on the process if it all works out....
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0511171250.jpg  
thrashingcows (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Will do.

once I see how well the fuso rides, I'll order a ford base kit and do some fabricating, as the Air ride kit requires a flat surface to mount, vs our slanted cab floors. I don't see it being much of an issue now that I have my shop all set up for working.

One snag will be the height of the unit, as the rearward most section of our OEM seat stand is only about 2" high. I'm not really tall, (just really handsome) so it should work out okay for me. TC, James Comey, Donald Trump, and all the other zombie giants on this forum might have an issue with it....

I'll do a new thread on the process if it all works out....
I'm 6'2" does that count?
Old 05-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I'm 6'2" does that count?
If you hit your head on the ceiling... then you're a zombie forum member, yes...

Tall people are much more likely to eat short people's brains.....simply due to proximity

lol

The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
oliver foster (05-11-2017), thrashingcows (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 PM

If you hit your head on the ceiling... then you're a zombie forum member, yes...

Tall people are much more likely to eat short people's brains.....simply due to proximity

lol

I do hit my head a lot but usually not on the ceiling. Usually on the wall multiple times whenever I run into a parts guy who can't find my part because it isn't in the computer. Like I need a 1/4-20 x 2" bolt. and he asks What year make and model is your vehicle.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 PM

A/C breaker installed.

For some reason my electric fans in front of my A/C condenser take more than 30 amps. Even though they are speced to draw 11.5 amps each. I finally installed a 40 amp breaker to keep from blowing the fuse every time I use the A/C. We'll see how it goes.

Also got collision insurance on the truck now that the body work is done.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
For some reason my electric fans in front of my A/C condenser take more than 30 amps. Even though they are speced to draw 11.5 amps each. I finally installed a 40 amp breaker to keep from blowing the fuse every time I use the A/C. We'll see how it goes.

Also got collision insurance on the truck now that the body work is done.
Find out why the fans draw too much. What you did is the equivalent of putting a penny under a fuse in a house. You may need the comp provision of your collision insurance to replace the burned out cab.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Find out why the fans draw too much. What you did is the equivalent of putting a penny under a fuse in a house. You may need the comp provision of your collision insurance to replace the burned out cab.
The only thing I can figure out is the 11.5 amp spec is their running current. They draw more when starting which is common with motors. The 30 amp fuse just couldn't handle the surge and I couldn't find a slo-blow type. The wiring doesn't go anywhere near the cab and only goes from the battery to the fans. If they short out the wiring will handle the load until the breaker pops.

Edwin
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Washed her and the trailer this evening.

NJTman (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 06:42 AM

Boy oh boy does that bring back memories of being a kid, and having the fuses blow in moms old house. I remember when she hired an electrician and other service panel was updated to a 150. Amp square D hot box.

Ahh. Memories of my youth....

Where did I put that Kleenex..?

(Sniff)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The only thing I can figure out is the 11.5 amp spec is their running current. They draw more when starting which is common with motors. The 30 amp fuse just couldn't handle the surge and I couldn't find a slo-blow type. The wiring doesn't go anywhere near the cab and only goes from the battery to the fans. If they short out the wiring will handle the load until the breaker pops.

Edwin
Put a meter to it and make sure it isn't drawing too much while running to overheat the supply wiring. The fusing has to be determined by the wiring. You can use a slow blow fuse or breaker to allow a starting surge without problems.
If it's drawing 25 amps continuously, 12 G wiring is at it's limit. 14G is going to run warm enough to wreck the insulation and catch fire after awhile. If it's 30 or over, 12g is too small.

The house I'm in, and built 45 years ago started with a 60 amp fuse panel, upgraded to 100 amp overhead entrance 10 years after that, then as part of an expansion to 200 amp underground entrance. Even that panel is about maxed out now. It's feeding some out buildings, but not the shop which has it's own 100 amp entrance.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:05 PM

Put a meter to it and make sure it isn't drawing too much while running to overheat the supply wiring. The fusing has to be determined by the wiring. You can use a slow blow fuse or breaker to allow a starting surge without problems.
If it's drawing 25 amps continuously, 12 G wiring is at it's limit. 14G is going to run warm enough to wreck the insulation and catch fire after awhile. If it's 30 or over, 12g is too small.

The house I'm in, and built 45 years ago started with a 60 amp fuse panel, upgraded to 100 amp overhead entrance 10 years after that, then as part of an expansion to 200 amp underground entrance. Even that panel is about maxed out now. It's feeding some out buildings, but not the shop which has it's own 100 amp entrance.
If I had a DC ammeter I would do that. I have about 24" of #12 wire going to a single relay to the fans. the wire does get warm but not hot so it's as you say at the limit. I'm most worried about the relay since it's rated at 30 amps but in my experience those fail safe. Eventually I may upgrade the wire to a #10 and add another relay if I have trouble. Everything is out in the open so it's simple to replace in the event of a burn out so I'm not that worried. Thanks for your advice.

Edwin
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dan s
Adjusted valve "again". Think I might burn it. Lol. Just kidding. Still same noise
So, don't burn it.... Sink it..

Just like they did here, off the NJ coast a few days ago...

Coast Guard crew says goodbye to the Tamaroa (VIDEO) | NJ.com

You'll feel so much better doing so...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?