1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Saving a '91.0 W-250

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I picked the 2nd gen intercooler as it works great with the 91.0 trucks core support, radiator and newer grille style. I also have a dozen good 2nd gen intercoolers on my shop shelf.
I am basically upgrading my truck with stuff I have in the shop. So far I have even had the gaskets left over from other builds on my shelf. I would rather grind, cut, weld and modify than buy new "stuff". It is not only cheaper, but more fun.
I will finish up this project with a brand new Diamond Eye 4 inch exhaust that I did buy. The 2nd gen. intercooler, intake horn, boots, tubes, clamps and the HX-35 turbo are all things I have saved for this project.
Power Joke stuff, I don't have any of that.
gotta I’ve got a ford intercooler for mine that’s today’s project didn’t know if the 2nd gen had an advantage
Old 11-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
cabtruck,
On the Non Intercooled '91.0 trucks the 2nd gen intercooler is a great option.
A tape measure, hole saw, grinder, a cut off wheel or saw-z-all and you have a pretty easy project with simple hand tools. I have the welder in the shop so I can use that where I feel the need, but it is not needed depending on how you want to do it.

I have heard the PS intercooler works well on the '92-'93 trucks.

The real advantage for me is having the parts here to do the swap on hand already.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I have the '94-'98.0 intake horn, with the support bracket cut off, mounted on the 1st gen grid heater and all re-sealed with new gaskets. I cut, modified, welded up and even squirted a little paint on the throttle bracket. I had to modify the throttle bracket to adapt the upper bolt holes to the newer style intake horn base size.
While I had all that access to the injection pump I bumped the timing just a bit and updated the throttle rod ends to the better metal ends.
You know the "well while I am here I should..." things you find yourself doing mid project.

I am leaning towards removing the A/C condenser for a little more room to make mounting the 2nd gen intercooler easier. The closer I can mount the intercooler to the core support the less of the valance panel and back side of the grille I will need to cut and grind down.
Attached Thumbnails Saving a '91.0 W-250-photo-1-600x803.jpg   Saving a '91.0 W-250-photo-2-600x803.jpg   Saving a '91.0 W-250-photo-3-800x598.jpg   Saving a '91.0 W-250-photo-4-800x598.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (11-26-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:52 AM

I got the core support hole-sawed out last night before dinner. I am ready to grind the holes smooth, dab a little primer / paint on the wound and start test fitting the intercooler. Then I will modify and locate the lower mounts and weld them up.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 AM

I got the intercooler where I wanted last night. I got the holes in the core support ground smooth with no sharp edges and the 2nd gen intercooler mounts welded in and painted.
I have to get the top bolts for I/C in place that figure out how much of the secondary hood latch I will need to trim up next.

Then it is time to swap out the turbo for that HX-35 and sort out the intercooler tubes.
Good times in the shop after the sun goes down at 4:15.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:08 PM

I got the intercooler trimmed and ground down for a cleaner fit behind the grille. It has a few bumps on its for mounting the A/C brackets and such cast into the intercooler. They protrude on the front side of it and they get in the way of the back of the grille..
Right now I am pressure testing The I/C the nice and easy way I like.
The intercooler is currently full of water and sitting on my shop floor supported by a tire on its front.
I have about 3 gallons of water in the intercooler and I see no spotting under it.
I will check again after dinner.
If there are no leaks I am thinking I am good to go.
nonrev (12-01-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM

The intercooler is fitting nicely in the core support now
I have the HX-35W off a '96 12V ready to install. I drilled and tapped a boost elbow into the cold side of the turbo for the waste gate. Once the turbo is on I can see what I need to do for intercooler tubes.
Charlotte helped me remove the A/C pump, bracket and lines tonight. At that point I saw some orange gasket maker on the oil filter housing which was always a little oily. It appears, now there is no turbo and A/C stuff in the way, that the small oil drops Poncho would leave on the ground where coming from an oil filter housing leak. It would then leak down the block, engine crossmember, ETC keeping everything well oil undercoated.
I put a 10 MM wrench on the filter housing bolts and they where ALL at least a little loose. I will be pulling the oil filter housing and installing new gaskets here next. I have the gaskets on the shelf, so at least I don't have to wait for them to show up.
It seems like I just keep taking parts off the truck that was running fine a few weeks ago. The classic, "while I am here" scenario is taking hold. The access to that oil filter housing is pretty good right now so it is the time to fix it.

Maybe I can fill the radiator up with 100% antifreeze when I am done. I know that will make Mark happy.
nonrev (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM

My daughter and I took the afternoon off and took some turns on the MT.. The skiing, snowboarding and fresh air was fun for us. We then made some homemade Christmas presents this evening.
I will get back on Poncho tomorrow night after I get a clean 5 gallon pail for the anti-freeze, so I can tear into it some more.

Thanks nonrev, I was starting to think I was just typing this out for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
edwinsmith (12-10-2017), MrFusion (12-12-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't get lonely mr. foster... I'm subscribed to this thread and I read just about everything you and a few others post

Always very helpful
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I put a 10 MM wrench on the filter housing bolts and they where ALL at least a little loose. I will be pulling the oil filter housing and installing new gaskets here next. I have the gaskets on the shelf, so at least I don't have to wait for them to show up.
I had the same thing on the 93 motor in Patches....all the bolts on the oil cooler were loose, some only finger tight!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
That "while I'm here" mentality will get you every time. That's why I'm at where I'm at on my pile.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I had the same thing on the 93 motor in Patches....all the bolts on the oil cooler were loose, some only finger tight!
I wish I read this a few months back.

Had the truck apart, and could have easily checked the torque on those bolts while I had it apart.

Oh well. Another day, so it is..
Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Oliver, Are you changing the rad out for a Cross Flow due to adding the intercooler?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DISLSMOKE
Oliver, Are you changing the rad out for a Cross Flow due to adding the intercooler?
Nope.
When using a 2nd gen intercooler on a '91.0 you can keep the stock radiator, fan shroud, fan hub, clutch fan and upper rad. neck of a non intercooled 12V.
With a manual transmission the smaller, earlier radiators give me all the cooling I need.

If I used a '91.5-'93 intercooler I would have to change all those things along with the core support, intercooler, intake horn, boots and tubes to get it to all look stock and work right.

I am basically following the 2nd gen intercooler swap as specified in the sticky with a few of my own mods, so it works better for what I want.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 AM

I got the radiator drained last night, so I can pull the oil filter housing neatly without spilling "alien blood" everywhere. That was about all I got done before dinner.

Quick Reply: Saving a '91.0 W-250