Saving a '91.0 W-250 - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums



1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Saving a '91.0 W-250

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #46
BHD
Registered User
 
BHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: BFE, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 712
Its amazing how a new set of meats change the ride of a truck.

That Founders All Day is one of my favorite Sessions by the way, I say you have to drink good beer to build a good project!
BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #47
Registered User
 
NJTman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Toxic Avenger
Posts: 5,236
............................
Attached Thumbnails
Saving a '91.0 W-250-cc.jpg  
NJTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #48
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
Thanks T-man
That is what the white crew cab looks like with the fresh 37 on the 3rd gen 17 inch rims.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #49
Registered User
 
thrashingcows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
Thanks T-man
That is what the white crew cab looks like with the fresh 37 on the 3rd gen 17 inch rims.
That looks good! Almost makes me want a set of 3rd Gen rims....
thrashingcows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thrashingcows For This Useful Post:
bigragu (05-22-2017), mknittle (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #50
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
Thrashing, I needed to install the 17 inch rims due to the wider 2nd gen Dana 80 axle. I am running 1.5 inch spacers on the front and just the rims on the rear. It made my trucks tires stuff back under the sheetmetal again.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #51
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
Well I spent tonight doing the "door structure upgrade" to the driver's door.
I was struggling with the welder off and on, so it was not my best looking welds, but they are plenty strong enough. I used 1/2 square metal stock and it really made the inner door panel much more solid. The door was starting to stress crack and had play in the metal panel, that is gone now. I really wanted to test this upgrade out on my daily driver truck so I could learn any tricks before doing it again on my cream puff RC.
Other than that Poncho has been running great since the last update.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #52
Registered User
 
thrashingcows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 6,069
I really need to do this structure upgrade as well....I see so much flex from windows going up and down, and from opening and closing the doors.
thrashingcows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #53
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
My daughter got the welded metal painted up with a foam brush last night before dinner. Today I got the door panel back on. We got Poncho out on the road today to fill up the Oxy. Act. tanks and pick up some more metal. The door closes easier and sounds more solid all the way around. The door rattles are gone.
We took Poncho to the local metal shop and they gave me a good deal of a 24 FT long stick of 1/2 metal square tube. The wall thickness is 1/16 thick. I cut it into 32 inch pieces right in their parking lot with my cordless Saw-Z-all. That should give me enough steel to do 4 other 1st gens. truck doors [both sides] and the passenger side of Poncho. At least I have something to do now.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #54
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
I checked all the oil levels, torqued down the lug nuts and fresh front axle U-bolts then headed to Mansfield Ma to take my daughter to see Iron Maiden last night. 9 hours of driving and the old truck did great.
We did attract the attention of a couple of Ma highway patrol police at a gas station outside of Boston as we "cased the place" looking for the elusive diesel pump in Boston. They followed us right back on to the highway tailing us closely for 2 miles then pulled us over for a noise violation warning. I am sure the lifted, noisy old classic truck cruising around the hood outside of Boston at "2 minutes to midnight" [Iron Maiden tune] piqued their interest. We stuck out in Boston pretty well.
The truck ran 700-900F degrees most of the time at 70/75 MPH with full throttle passing blips going up hill 1200+. Boost topped out at 30-32 PSI.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oliver foster For This Useful Post:
edwinsmith (07-20-2017), mknittle (07-20-2017), NJTman (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #55
Registered User
 
NJTman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Toxic Avenger
Posts: 5,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
I checked all the oil levels, torqued down the lug nuts and fresh front axle U-bolts then headed to Mansfield Ma to take my daughter to see Iron Maiden last night. 9 hours of driving and the old truck did great.
We did attract the attention of a couple of Ma highway patrol police at a gas station outside of Boston as we "cased the place" looking for the elusive diesel pump in Boston. They followed us right back on to the highway tailing us closely for 2 miles then pulled us over for a noise violation warning. I am sure the lifted, noisy old classic truck cruising around the hood outside of Boston at "2 minutes to midnight" [Iron Maiden tune] piqued their interest. We stuck out in Boston pretty well.
The truck ran 700-900F degrees most of the time at 70/75 MPH with full throttle passing blips going up hill 1200+. Boost topped out at 30-32 PSI.
So you didn't get a ticket ?

If you did, you'd just have to send it to Bruce Dickinson and tell him what happened.

I'm sure he'd pay it for you.


NJTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #56
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
We didn't get a ticket, just a written warning.
After realizing we where just a dad and his daughter driving an old truck and looking for diesel, not crack rocks, in the hood at midnight they warmed up. I told him the truck was totally legal in VT, but I could see how the noise would be more of an issue in Boston. They where pretty surprised that my daughter actually want to see Madien, as they asked her if she had really asked me to take her.

Bruce ran around the stage and belted out a great set. It was like a night of theatre metal - minor set changes for every tune. Bruce wore different get ups for most of the songs as well. The guitar solos where tight, the bass solid and the drummer looked like he was having a blast. Charlotte was all smiles watching their antics on stage. For a bunch of old dudes they really ripped it up.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
We didn't get a ticket, just a written warning.
After realizing we where just a dad and his daughter driving an old truck and looking for diesel, not crack rocks, in the hood at midnight they warmed up. I told him the truck was totally legal in VT, but I could see how the noise would be more of an issue in Boston. They where pretty surprised that my daughter actually want to see Madien, as they asked her if she had really asked me to take her.

Bruce ran around the stage and belted out a great set. It was like a night of theatre metal - minor set changes for every tune. Bruce wore different get ups for most of the songs as well. The guitar solos where tight, the bass solid and the drummer looked like he was having a blast. Charlotte was all smiles watching their antics on stage. For a bunch of old dudes they really ripped it up.
****, would love to see maiden live. Bringing the daughter up right lol
Shelby/Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #58
KRB
Registered User
 
KRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central KY
Posts: 1,852
BHD - hard to go wrong with a Founders eh?

Oliver, how old is your daughter now? Great that you guys keep wrenching together and, well, head banging...
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #59
BHD
Registered User
 
BHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: BFE, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
BHD - hard to go wrong with a Founders eh?
Yessir it is, if you enjoy good beer.
BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #60
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
BHD - hard to go wrong with a Founders eh?

Oliver, how old is your daughter now? Great that you guys keep wrenching together and, well, head banging...
My daughter is 14 years old now. I am trying to spend as much quality time together this summer as she is growing up so fast.
oliver foster is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
D-250 to w-250 Greed 93 1st Gen. Ram - All Topics 6 01-31-2010 10:26 PM
'91 dodge 250 vs '99 ford 250 smoky beast 1st Gen. Ram - All Topics 11 02-26-2007 10:17 AM
1991 D 250 & W 250 philobeddo 1st Gen. Ram - All Topics 1 06-15-2006 07:16 PM
w-250 d-250 guh2stroke 1st Gen. Ram - All Topics 1 12-24-2005 09:45 PM
space saving dual gauges doug Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 10 11-14-2002 10:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Copyright 2017, DieselTruckResource.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.