Saving a '91.0 W-250 - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Saving a '91.0 W-250

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-22-2015, 12:20 PM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
I also got a chance to spray can Fluid Film into the roof panel, where the plastic trim screw holes are.
At least where the trim USED to be before the last owner's Husky turned them into dog treats.
I figured soaking down the roof rail from the inside would help with the common roof rot issue, BEFORE it starts
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:56 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 4,909
Thanked 585 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
I also got a chance to spray can Fluid Film into the roof panel, where the plastic trim screw holes are.
At least where the trim USED to be before the last owner's Husky turned them into dog treats.
I figured soaking down the roof rail from the inside would help with the common roof rot issue, BEFORE it starts
Yeah the sooner the better in a case like that.
That truck must seem tiny after driving the crews
mknittle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
thrashingcows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 6,353
Thanked 797 Times in 513 Posts
I like the smell of the fluid film as well. I do the same thing...either fluidfilm, or used oil up in evrry nook and cranny...pillars, rockers, doors etc.
thrashingcows is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
  #19  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
I like the smell of the fluid film as well. I do the same thing...either fluidfilm, or used oil up in evrry nook and cranny...pillars, rockers, doors etc.
That is why I did the inner parts of the truck cab in Fluid Film, it smells good, in comparison to most oils.

I will spray the frame and underside of the truck/bed with summer weight Bar and Chain oil in a Schultz gun. In a case like this, I'll mix in a little diesel fuel to thin it, so it really soaks into the dry west coast sheet metal seams.
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 AM
  #20  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Yeah the sooner the better in a case like that.
That truck must seem tiny after driving the crews
Yeah, I will not be able to drive around in the regular cab much longer with the two 5 month old Pups sharing the bench seat with me. They are getting BIG fast.

I will be back to needing the crew cabs to get the "team" of 4 mastiffs down to the river/lake for a swim.
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM
  #21  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 4,909
Thanked 585 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
Yeah, I will not be able to drive around in the regular cab much longer with the two 5 month old Pups sharing the bench seat with me. They are getting BIG fast.

I will be back to needing the crew cabs to get the "team" of 4 mastiffs down to the river/lake for a swim.
I can imagine with dogs that size mines bad enough with a Chi-weenie and a Chihuahua.
mknittle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 PM
  #22  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 403
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Ummmmmmmmm - Oliver? Why not just get the four big dogs to pull the truck? Think of the fuel and wear and tear that you would save!

Cheers Man!

Mike
Mike L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
  #23  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Ummmmmmmmm - Oliver? Why not just get the four big dogs to pull the truck? Think of the fuel and wear and tear that you would save!

Cheers Man!

Mike
I basically built my white crew cab almost 10 years to be the dog limo.
It has a front bench seat in the rear so the bottom cushion is bigger to fit more dog butt.

Those English Mastiffs are pretty mellow, unless there something going on they don't like.
As far as getting them to pull much weight, the backpacks I have for them to carry their own dog food and a few things when camping is the most # I can get the to "pull".
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 884
Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
I basically built my white crew cab almost 10 years to be the dog limo.
It has a front bench seat in the rear so the bottom cushion is bigger to fit more dog butt.

Those English Mastiffs are pretty mellow, unless there something going on they don't like.
As far as getting them to pull much weight, the backpacks I have for them to carry their own dog food and a few things when camping is the most # I can get the to "pull".
i have a pack for my 70 lb pit. I was hiking the shenandoah with her about 3 years ago and someone stopped to tell me that it was "inhumane" to have it on her. I said "well, it would probably be less humane for her to not have food and water"

I wish I had a crew sometimes for this reason. with myself, the dog, and the old lady in the regular cab, it gets a little tight.
j.fonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:03 PM
  #25  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
I hate people like that.
My dogs live a better life than me.
I haven't been to a doctor or dentist in about 13 years, my dogs go all the time.
People that open their mouth and tell me stuff like that get the "I hate you stare", which shuts up most idiots.
Nothing like getting silent stink eye from a crazy looking guy whose last hair cut was in the '90's and shaves his beard once a year, walking 1-4 huge dogs, to make you re-consider your rant.

Those people are usually the ones to usually leave their dog stranded in the car, dying in the sun with the windows almost all the way up.
Which is much more humane, than taking them for a hike.

oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
  #26  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
After dinner my daughter helped me get the passenger door panel all re-assembled after I had cleaned it, installed a better speaker, and sprayed it down on the inside with fluid film.

We got it all back together and then swapped out all the seat belts that where messed up from the last owner's puppy chewing the truck up.

It is starting to be a fun to drive little truck.
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM
  #27  
Registered User
 
NJTman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Toxic Avenger
Posts: 5,700
Thanked 1,047 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
After dinner my daughter helped me get the passenger door panel all re-assembled after I had cleaned it, installed a better speaker, and sprayed it down on the inside with fluid film.

We got it all back together and then swapped out all the seat belts that where messed up from the last owner's puppy chewing the truck up.

It is starting to be a fun to drive little truck.
You're having too much fun....
NJTman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
  #28  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
I don't know about TOO much fun, but I am having fun.
It was great watching my daughter tighten up the 13/16 bolts for the seat belts with a box end wrench, while I spun out the other side seatbelt.
Better than kids just being zoned out looking at their hand held Apple "I-Stupid" all the time.

I might be having a little more fun than your welding project / rear bumper build on the hottest week of the summer.
That bumper came out great. Is it back from getting power coated yet - T-man?
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 PM
  #29  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
oliver foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 3,921
Thanked 994 Times in 625 Posts
I got the passenger window rubber vent seal swapped out today, on the passenger side, as the old one was shredded by his dog and duct taped over when I bought it.
I need to swap out the drivers vent window next as my windows chrome "closing arm" is missing on it.
I also threw a cool old school behind the seat shelf organizer, to hold a spare serpentine belt, fuel filter, and other neat junk.

I then took it out for a ride with my daughter, she appreciated the work we did last night when the seat belts worked smoothly and clicked in nicely.
She also liked having the inner door handle, window crank and door panel re-installed after a couple of weeks of them being off.

After a few days of running the new injection pump "tune", I think I need to bump up the idle just a touch. The truck seems to vibrates a tiny bit more at idle than it does 50 RPM or so higher once warm.
oliver foster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:19 PM
  #30  
Registered User
 
NJTman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Toxic Avenger
Posts: 5,700
Thanked 1,047 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster View Post
I don't know about TOO much fun...

I might be having a little more fun than your welding project / rear bumper build on the hottest week of the summer.
That bumper came out great. Is it back from getting power coated yet - T-man?
Great your daughter has an interest in things you like. Either you're very lucky. Or did a great job being a dad...

I suspect it's both...

Suposedly about a week or so. Can't wait to get it black..
NJTman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saving a '91.0 W-250


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.