Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Saving a '91.0 W-250 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/saving-91-0-w-250-a-322664/)

oliver foster 08-06-2015 09:21 AM

Saving a '91.0 W-250

I bought a West coast W-250 at the end of last winter.
I have been slowly chipping away at the big issues.

The Getrag was in such sad shape it would barely limp on my trailer without popping out of EVERY gear.
The smell of gear oil was strong as it leaked rapidly out the 'Rag

Things that have been done and why:

Rebuilt ANOTHER Getrag due to the last guy running 75/90W in it in the WINTER[duhhh]
Disassembled, checked out and resealed output yokes the NP-205 due to it being almost empty when I got it.
South Bend clutch installed when out, because I will need it later to hold the power.
Trans cooler plates installed on the PTO covers on the 'Rag and filled with Mobil 1 5W-30.
Driveshaft U-joints replaced.
All other fluids where checked, changed or had fluid added as needed.
Checked brakes rotors, pads and lines.
Tightened the E-brake cable.
Some wiring needed to be done, as the Headlights came on when you put it in reverse.:o

At that point I got a plate for it and started driving it to sort out other things it would need.

mknittle 08-06-2015 09:37 AM

Sounds like fun[laugh] gotta love how easy these trucks are to work on.

oliver foster 08-06-2015 10:12 AM

I have done a bunch of other little stuff to it since getting it on the road, that I will detail better later.

One of the big things I have to do is, gut almost the whole interior.

The story goes something like this:
Some guy flies out to Oregon and buys a solid 1st gen.
Then he gets a Husky puppy.
He spends several months working the "harvest" season down the coast. He lived in the truck, during this time, under this crazy looking gypsy style camper.
At the end of the fall he drives it back out East from Cali..
The dog looses its mind in the cab by the look if it, as it must have WANTED OUT for a while.
I own 4 English Mastiffs. I have also owned more old Dodge trucks through the years than anyone else I know, and I have NEVER seen an interior so throttled.

I think some of my friends here will load a few pictures on the thread, so it is more exciting for the picture hungry crowd.

w250 guy 08-06-2015 08:06 PM

Yes please!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

thrashingcows 08-07-2015 11:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of Oliver's truck....

Attachment 50505

Attachment 50506

Attachment 50507

Attachment 50508

Attachment 50509

Think that is all the photo's you have sent me?

j_martin 08-07-2015 12:34 PM

I see the dog is checking out your work. Somebody has to do it.

oliver foster 08-07-2015 05:35 PM

Thanks Thrashing!

My new pup is checking for loose tie rods in the front end.
AKC and ASE paperwork on that one!

The other shots are of my two beer, two hammer, two hour body work mission on the dented front fender.

The other is a quick make shift jig I made for getting an OEM Mopar windshield down to the shop to get it put in.
They only charged me $40 to install it.

sherod 08-07-2015 05:51 PM

I like the help from the pup! That's a poster shot!

Have fun with the rig. I MAY have a line on an 89 CC to match my gasser. Keeping my fingers crossed.

oliver foster 08-12-2015 09:15 AM

Yesterday, I cleaned out the drivers door and sprayed it down with Fluid Film on the inside to prevent rust.
Got the window crank lubed up and working smoothly.
Removed the wires for the door open buzzer, I always hated that noise. I can tell when my door is open fine on my own. I don't want my truck telling me what I already know I am doing.[laugh]
I tried to get my upgraded speaker to work, but the factory wires for it seems to not be working.
I chased them back behind the dash a little.
After tinkering on it for a bit, I cracked a beer and had dinner.

mknittle 08-12-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3282534)
After tinkering on it for a bit, I cracked a beer and had dinner.

Often the best course of action[laugh]
:chug::cheers:

oliver foster 08-12-2015 01:21 PM

Walking away BEFORE you get frustrated is the best way to keep projects FUN!
Yeah, so what if I am driving around with no inner door panel and only mono speaker for a few days till I throw another hour or two at it.

mknittle 08-12-2015 02:16 PM

This morning I bent up the left rear brake tube. I still need to cut and flair one end but I have a appointment with my Oncologist this afternoon. so that is one of the things that frustrate me the most.

lockgessner 08-12-2015 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3282558)
Walking away BEFORE you get frustrated is the best way to keep projects FUN!
Yeah, so what if I am driving around with no inner door panel and only mono speaker for a few days till I throw another hour or two at it.

I drove from FL to AK without a radio😬. No judgement here

Alec 08-12-2015 03:37 PM

My new pup is checking for loose tie rods in the front end.
Better put her to work while she is still small enough! I've seen some of your full grown dogs . . . they would need a lift to get under there.

Truck looks like a good summer 1st gen beater!

oliver foster 08-22-2015 10:52 AM

I have been having fun driving it around town and such.
I got the chance to play with the fuel screw and do some pump tuning last week.
Once I took the tamper proof cap off the fuel screw I could see that it was almost bottomed out on the "safety" collar. I only got an 1/8 of a turn before it maxed out against the collar.
That was not going to cut it, so out it came.
I put it in my vise and I pried the collar off, clean up the threads a bit and screwed it back in. I then turned down the idle using the idle screw, spun the fuel pin to the deep side, adjusted the throttle rod, backed off the smoke screw two turns and took it for a drive.
Much better.:cool: