Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Saving a '91.0 W-250 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/saving-91-0-w-250-a-322664/)

Blue Goose 04-01-2018 03:17 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...287f7c6ce0.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...712a207d66.jpg

oliver foster 04-01-2018 03:37 PM

Big thanks to Dave for the photo recap of last week's Wrench Week on Poncho.
I still have a small list of fine tuning to do but we got a ton of stuff done over 5 days. Some of the left over items to do are cool little projects that I can work on with Charlotte over the next few weekends before it is time to put it back on the road.
I am really looking forward to trying out the re vamped, softer new rear suspension.

thrashingcows 04-02-2018 01:17 AM

How many 12V's do you have along that wall there Oliver....think I could see 5 for sure. ;)

oliver foster 04-02-2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows (Post 3346391)
How many 12V's do you have along that wall there Oliver....think I could see 5 for sure. ;)

Good eyes Thrashing, I have 5 - 12Vs, 2 - 24Vs and a rebuilt 360 Magnum short block running along that wall.

NJTman 04-02-2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3346419)
Good eyes Thrashing, I have 5 - 12Vs, 2 - 24Vs and a rebuilt 360 Magnum short block running along that wall.

Scaled way down, eh?

oliver foster 04-03-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3346420)
Scaled way down, eh?

Nope, I just don't keep all the 12Vs up against the same wall. T-cows asked how many I have along that wall... I have several walls in the shop...[coffee]

I am grabbing a few more Grade 8 washers and some more red Loc-Tite today for the rear leaf springs, to finish mocking up the rear suspension upgrade. After that I can take it for a short test drive and see if I need to modify anything.

oliver foster 04-04-2018 06:59 PM

The rear suspension is all dialed in now for a test drive. It sits dead level front to back right now.
I then took a moment to install another white hood I have been saving, that had the Ram's head ornament already mounted to it as an upgrade.
The next big job is to install the new 4 inch D.E. exhaust. Maybe Charlotte will want to help install that this weekend with me. That should be a pretty fun project with all the band clamps I have to dial it in with. The adjustability of those is great.
I will need to modify/weld/make a brace from the bell housing for the larger 4 inch down pipe.

oliver foster 04-23-2018 08:24 AM

We got Poncho on the lift yesterday and got the D.E 4 inch exhaust in for a test fit. It was kinda nice to install a system that was designed for the truck rather than modifying it to fit a Ramcharger or crew cab like I usually do.
I will finish up the rest of the install this afternoon. Once it is all in place, I will weld up a down pipe hanger/bracket to keep it supported.

While it was up on the lift, I had Charlotte use the grease gun on all the fitting on the axle and such

NJTman 04-23-2018 08:45 AM

Nice to have a. Lift and inside place to work. At 51, I'm sincerely tired of rolling around on the ground or on a stone driveway just for basic maintenance, never mind replacing an exhaust system. My DE system is nearing the end of its life because of the stainless clamp corrosion I inflicted on it. Live and learn, I guess.

oliver foster 04-23-2018 09:13 AM

T-man, I actually ordered aluminized band clamps rather than the stainless ones this time do to your comments on the rust. I am installing a stainless D.E. muffler though as I had it left over from the Gauntlet RC build. I just didn't have room for a 32 inch muffler under that RC.

Order up a new D.E. system when you need it T-man and we can install it on the lift here. Just make sure to pick up some shop beer.

oliver foster 04-30-2018 08:56 AM

Charlotte helped this weekend getting the exhaust finished.
I made a small dimple on the one piece of tube that snakes around the T-case, where I always find it gets tight and has a tendency to rattle.

We made a down pipe clamp out of a factory bracket, bushing and bolt, that was cut down and modified so I could weld it up to a left over guillotine clamp from the D.E. kit. I used the basic idea I got from Mark's [mknittle] build and modified it so I could still use the OEM rubber bushing for the mount on the bell housing.

The grease-able leaf spring bolts from Jungle over at RCC all got a good shot of the special grease I got for poly bushings. I bought a mini grease gun and a couple of tubes from Daystar just for those.
I then topped off the Getrag with Mobil one 5W-30 while it was still on the lift. I used the top PTO hole and filled it till it ran out.
Once it was back on the ground I torqued down all the lug nuts.

We woke up to a few inches of snow in the yard today, so it looks like we still have a day or two to finish up the loose ends before taking it for a drive. I still need to install a OEM grille, do a final check for clearance for the 2nd gen I/C and then slap on the front bumper again.
That gives me something to do tonight in the shop over a cold IPA.

NJTman 04-30-2018 02:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
......... Rotated pictures

NJTman 04-30-2018 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3347590)
T-man, I actually ordered aluminized band clamps rather than the stainless ones this time do to your comments on the rust. I am installing a stainless D.E. muffler though as I had it left over from the Gauntlet RC build. I just didn't have room for a 32 inch muffler under that RC.

Order up a new D.E. system when you need it T-man and we can install it on the lift here. Just make sure to pick up some shop beer.

Stainless schmainless

Welcome to land of rust

oliver foster 05-01-2018 07:42 PM

I drove it over to get inspected at a buddies shop today, which it past with flying colors.
I am loving the new ride with the rear shackle flip, longer shackles, spring drop hangers and factory block removed. It rides better than my 2nd gen.

I felt no driveshaft vibration at speed [70] with the slightly new rear pinion angle after the swap.

The HX-35 turbo comes on fast and hits 32 PSI max. The 3200 spring makes the motor rev much better. It smokes just a little bit when you hit the pedal with a new gear shift and clears quickly. The max EGT was 1,100, so there is room for a little more fuel.

The sound in the cab is much more civilized with the new door gaskets and full D.E exhaust with muffler. The old pre rear tire dump, straight pipe was pretty loud.
There was no rattling from the new exhaust.

I didn't see so much as a drop under it after a 40 mile drive after bringing it home.

I am super happy after a winter of tinkering on it on my spare time and a few days of focused attack with friends over Wrench Week.
Charlotte will be happy with our work when I pick here up for the weekend in the old 1st Gen..[guitar]

oliver foster 05-08-2018 10:05 AM

Charlotte and I took Poncho down to Sugarbush on Sat. for the final weekend of lift operation.
We took 8 runs together on the slopes which where still covered well with corn snow. It was a great day in the warm weather with lots of sun.

The truck did great on the 1 1/2 HR. trip each way. I did notice a small leak out the rear axle pinion seal after the drive down. Yesterday I pulled the vent line off the rear axle and cleaned it out and re-installed...No leak now. It only took a small shot of gear oil to top it off.

After taking it for a good test drive to get the oil warmed up I drained the engine oil last night and filled it up with fresh Rotella.

The motor is running so cleanly yet still making great power now...I am unsure if I will add the THD fuel pin I have sitting on my shop work table.
The timing bump, bigger exhaust, HX-35 turbo and 2nd gen intercooler install is really working well together to clean up the low end smoke and keep the exhaust temps. down.