1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Saving a '91.0 W-250

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Oliver, I gotta say, I feel sorry for the dude she marries or starts dating, if he doesn't know how to wrench, LOL. She's gonna be dragging his clueless butt to the wrecking yards, pulling of parts and pieces, while her other half sits there, watching, and other wrencher's walking by take notice of how a dude stands around while the girl is yanking off a power steering pump.

What you're teaching her, is huge. Not just about wrenching on firstgens, but confidence, ingenuity, saaviness, all that. And you'll always be in her thoughts each time she picks up a wrench.

Can you imagine, being married to her, and having to hear this 24/7- " well, my dad can fix it" or "my dad can do it if you can't" or " call my dad if you don't know what to do"
LMAO!
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Thanks Augie!
I am trying to help her be confident in herself, fairly self reliant, able to have a vision but also capable of turning it into reality.
She will know how to use a torque wrench, grease gun, tape measure, hammer, check air pressure, swap out a battery or tire, drive a stick shifted rig yet also know how to shoot a rifle, cast a fishing pole and start a campfire. You know the stuff they don't teach you in school.

It seems like a real struggle to get the kids to put down the I-phones now a days...
mknittle (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Thanks Augie!
I am trying to help her be confident in herself, fairly self reliant, able to have a vision but also capable of turning it into reality.
She will know how to use a torque wrench, grease gun, tape measure, hammer, check air pressure, swap out a battery or tire, drive a stick shifted rig yet also know how to shoot a rifle, cast a fishing pole and start a campfire. You know the stuff they don't teach you in school.

It seems like a real struggle to get the kids to put down the I-phones now a days...
Almost sounds like Hank jr's Country Folks can Survive song, lol. True that on the iPhones!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
You're doing it right Ollie. She'll never regret knowing that stuff.
mknittle (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanks Augie!

Oh, Oliver, I never saw any tutorials on her learning how to reload ammo. The way things are heading, the future generations gotta learn to build good, accurate ammo!
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (07-22-2017), mknittle (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Oliver, I gotta say, I feel sorry for the dude she marries or starts dating, if he doesn't know how to wrench, LOL. She's gonna be dragging his clueless butt to the wrecking yards, pulling of parts and pieces, while her other half sits there, watching, and other wrencher's walking by take notice of how a dude stands around while the girl is yanking off a power steering pump.

What you're teaching her, is huge. Not just about wrenching on firstgens, but confidence, ingenuity, saaviness, all that. And you'll always be in her thoughts each time she picks up a wrench.

Can you imagine, being married to her, and having to hear this 24/7- " well, my dad can fix it" or "my dad can do it if you can't" or " call my dad if you don't know what to do"
LMAO!
Amen brother!

Oliver, I exposed my oldest to all that. And preached about maintenance when she left for college. We visited last semester and while there I wanted to check out her car and asked her to pop the hood. She said, how do I do that? I looked at her and thought ***? How could all those years vanish? Guess that's what a college education gets you...

Oh well, my youngest is still wrenching and shooting with me, we'll see what sticks...

BHD, I'm very fond of the breakfast stout, good memories of that on the boat ina cove on the lake.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 AM

Well I am looking towards next week being Thanksgiving and my daughter having a few days off from school...I don't want us to be bored when it gets dark out at 4:40 at night, so I have some things we can do to Poncho.
I have a complete 4 inch D.E exhaust with a muffler sitting in the box and a 2nd gen turbo [and '91.5-'93 air box hose] in great shape on the work bench.

I have all the parts to do a non intercooled motor to 2nd gen intercooled 12V swap like we did to the black crew cab 4 winters ago.
4 1/16 hole saw, 2nd gen intercooler, boots, tubes, clamps and brackets / bushings. The last time I used a 24V intake horn to finish up the parts list, but I might try a '94-'98.0 P-pumped intake horn this time. I am hoping that with save me from turning the intake plate around 180* to give me the brake booster clearance I need.

That should improve the low end smoke with the bigger exhaust and smaller 12Cm turbo exhaust housing. It will also get rid of the soot dumping down the passenger side of the truck from the side dump exhaust tip exiting before the rear tire it has been running for years.

The EGTs should also be lowered quite a bit with the air upgrades and intercooler install.

Just talking about it gets me excited....I better wait till my lil Mopar tech gets here though...Maybe I can at least start soaking some of the nuts and bolts in PB blaster...
The following 4 users liked this post by oliver foster:
BHD (11-17-2017), mknittle (11-17-2017), NJTman (11-17-2017), thrashingcows (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Well I am looking towards next week being Thanksgiving and my daughter having a few days off from school...I don't want us to be bored when it gets dark out at 4:40 at night, so I have some things we can do to Poncho.
I have a complete 4 inch D.E exhaust with a muffler sitting in the box and a 2nd gen turbo [and '91.5-'93 air box hose] in great shape on the work bench.

I have all the parts to do a non intercooled motor to 2nd gen intercooled 12V swap like we did to the black crew cab 4 winters ago.
4 1/16 hole saw, 2nd gen intercooler, boots, tubes, clamps and brackets / bushings. The last time I used a 24V intake horn to finish up the parts list, but I might try a '94-'98.0 P-pumped intake horn this time. I am hoping that with save me from turning the intake plate around 180* to give me the brake booster clearance I need.

That should improve the low end smoke with the bigger exhaust and smaller 12Cm turbo exhaust housing. It will also get rid of the soot dumping down the passenger side of the truck from the side dump exhaust tip exiting before the rear tire it has been running for years.

The EGTs should also be lowered quite a bit with the air upgrades and intercooler install.

Just talking about it gets me excited....I better wait till my lil Mopar tech gets here though...Maybe I can at least start soaking some of the nuts and bolts in PB blaster...
Talking about work gets you excited.....

Lol.

Depending on the work, ....... Me too!

Glad you and Charlotte have a fun wrenching weekend ahead of you.. Sounds like what any good dad would do for his daughter.

Get her covered with oil and diesel..

Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
mknittle (11-17-2017), thrashingcows (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Okay I couldn't help myself. I had to check out some of my ideas tonight.
I got a '94-'98.0 intake horn to fit fairly easily, with enough space between the brake master. Last time on the black crew cab, I flipped the intake plate and use a 24 V intake tube, which worked fine.
I wanted to make sure I didn't need to order some gaskets to make the project happen. It seems like with the earlier intake horn it will be easier and I will be able to just use parts I already have.
Using the earlier style intake horn will save me from pulling the injector lines, cutting and modifying the injector hold down line bracket and buying an intake plate gasket. I will still have to do some cutting and welding to the upper throttle cable bracket and fab some custom metal bushings.
This should be a fun project to try to build something cool with some shop tools and spare parts I have around the shop.
Charlotte should approve of this mod.
The following 4 users liked this post by oliver foster:
edwinsmith (11-19-2017), mknittle (11-18-2017), MrFusion (11-21-2017), NJTman (11-17-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Well I have been tinkering on Poncho on and off the past week.
Charlotte has spent much of the time hanging out in the loft above the shop space and drawing or watercoloring rather than tinker with me. We have still been enjoying time together, chatting and listening to tunes in the shop.
I have the '94-'98.0 intake horn, with the support bracket cut off, mounted on the 1st gen grid heater and all re-sealed with new gaskets. I cut, modified, welded up and even squirted a little paint on the throttle bracket. I had to modify the throttle bracket to adapt the upper bolt holes to the newer style intake horn base size.
While I had all that access to the injection pump I bumped the timing just a bit and updated the throttle rod ends to the better metal ends.
You know the "well while I am here I should..." things you find yourself doing mid project.

I am leaning towards removing the A/C condenser for a little more room to make mounting the 2nd gen intercooler easier. The closer I can mount the intercooler to the core support the less of the valance panel and back side of the grille I will need to cut and grind down.

Cold air for the motor..or cold air for the inside of the cab?...That is a pretty easy choice for me living where it is rarely warm enough to run the A/C.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (11-25-2017), NJTman (11-24-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 04:45 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Good times!

The only time I use A/C is with the defrost.
mknittle (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Well I have been tinkering on Poncho on and off the past week.
Charlotte has spent much of the time hanging out in the loft above the shop space and drawing or watercoloring rather than tinker with me. We have still been enjoying time together, chatting and listening to tunes in the shop.
I have the '94-'98.0 intake horn, with the support bracket cut off, mounted on the 1st gen grid heater and all re-sealed with new gaskets. I cut, modified, welded up and even squirted a little paint on the throttle bracket. I had to modify the throttle bracket to adapt the upper bolt holes to the newer style intake horn base size.
While I had all that access to the injection pump I bumped the timing just a bit and updated the throttle rod ends to the better metal ends.
You know the "well while I am here I should..." things you find yourself doing mid project.

I am leaning towards removing the A/C condenser for a little more room to make mounting the 2nd gen intercooler easier. The closer I can mount the intercooler to the core support the less of the valance panel and back side of the grille I will need to cut and grind down.

Cold air for the motor..or cold air for the inside of the cab?...That is a pretty easy choice for me living where it is rarely warm enough to run the A/C.
What made you pick the 2nd gen over the power joke intercooler
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM

I picked the 2nd gen intercooler as it works great with the 91.0 trucks core support, radiator and newer grille style. I also have a dozen good 2nd gen intercoolers on my shop shelf.
I am basically upgrading my truck with stuff I have in the shop. So far I have even had the gaskets left over from other builds on my shelf. I would rather grind, cut, weld and modify than buy new "stuff". It is not only cheaper, but more fun.
I will finish up this project with a brand new Diamond Eye 4 inch exhaust that I did buy. The 2nd gen. intercooler, intake horn, boots, tubes, clamps and the HX-35 turbo are all things I have saved for this project.
Power Joke stuff, I don't have any of that.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
As I recall, there are two 2nd gen intercoolers. The latest, high output trucks having a cooler that was a good four inches or more taller. I'm not sure if they also had larger radiators . . .

Can you help clear up my hazy memory/knowledge about that Oliver?

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Alec
Old 11-25-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alec
As I recall, there are two 2nd gen intercoolers. The latest, high output trucks having a cooler that was a good four inches or more taller. I'm not sure if they also had larger radiators . . .

Can you help clear up my hazy memory/knowledge about that Oliver?

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Alec
Yes Alec,
You are correct the '94-'97 intercooler is an inch shorter that the '98-'02 24V intercoolers.
On my black '85 crew cab I used the 24V intercooler and it was a tight fit under the secondary hood latch.
This time I am using the earlier intake horn and intercooler.

I am basically doing the swap like it is outlined in the sticky with a few modifications for my own amusement and to use the parts I have at hand.

The radiators are the same size '94-'02 for the Cummins motors.

Thanksgiving was nice and local for me, as I had it at my Dad's house 2 miles down the road. It was nice to not even leave the dirt road for the holiday! Now Charlotte and I are just taking it easy at home and tinkering in the shop for the rest of the weekend.

It is good to see you on DTR more often Alec!

Quick Reply: Saving a '91.0 W-250