Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone run a Helix in there 12v?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone run a Helix in there 12v?

Hope to have my 12v soon and I'm trying to plan out my mods.
The only thing I have to start with are my twins so....
The cams F1 has sound pretty interesting and was wondering if any one has tried one with a 12v? I would like to build around 4-450rwhp and keep it as clean as posible.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know this as well. Im intrested in making closer to 500 hp on a single and I think a cam would make it more drivable. over on the tdr a guy made 800 hp on a single charged 12v and it wasn't a pulling truck so i know there are way to do this.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, but Joe D's ride is not exactly streetable. His turbo is a "lag hog" to quote him.

IIRC, it's a Pius Eberle ASB turbo. Huge and laggy, but makes the power.

jh
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Yeah, but Joe D's ride is not exactly streetable. His turbo is a "lag hog" to quote him.

IIRC, it's a Pius Eberle ASB turbo. Huge and laggy, but makes the power.

jh

Yeah I have read a few posts for all out HP but I was thinking more along the lines of better spool-up and drivability for lower hp say 400-450. From what I read the cam opens up the power curve. What I was thinking for a 215 pump/stick combo was 4gsk and a #10 plate some lazer cut DVs and a set of Dons smaller injectors and cam. That set with my twins 35/3b combo. I'm not sure on what power level that would end up at but wondered if the cam would change much? I couldnt get anything from the F1 website for 12v stuff?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM

I think that setup would net a little higher than 4-450, but I'm not real sure on my 12v stuff. You'll need to contact a DonM distributor for the custom 12v stuff- the demand isn't high enough.

brnaodn.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 PM

You might try checking out cams from www.haisleymachine.com www.scheiddiesel.com www.piersdiesel.com or www.enterpriseengine.com

They all have proven cams for the street and higher hp applications...

But if your heart is set on an f1 cam www.f1diesel.com
Old 12-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You might try checking out cams from www.haisleymachine.com www.scheiddiesel.com www.piersdiesel.com or www.enterpriseengine.com

They all have proven cams for the street and higher hp applications...

But if your heart is set on an f1 cam www.f1diesel.com

Yep thanks..... have been all there but still little to no real info on 12v examples.
Just hoping to have some members with real world experience chime in.
I have done many searches and not really read any posts on it.
I think I missed out on 12v beta testing by about 10 years
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 PM

i've ridden in an talked to a guy with a piers regrind in his truck, and it was an early one at that. he runs delivery valves 370 ect and makes upper 400's in power. he said the cam helped spool up and gave an honest egt drop. he also gets no lower than 17 mpg. so I think the cams are worth it, but alot of work to instal without any seat of pants horsepower increase.

Also piers offers cams ground from blanks and you can even come up with your own specs and they have it made. I would call any of the shops mentioned though im sure they could offer valuable input
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
The Guru

I run an aftermarket cam in my truck. I would agrue that its really makes the engine come to life faster. I was told that with my twins combo, there would been more lag time than my 35y turbo. I actually think that it spools as fast as the 35y every did. The power comes on so smoothly. I think that it was worth the extra effort of installing the cam. If Don makes an aftermarket cam half as good as his injectors, it should be a sweet cam. If you know what your doing, you could do a cam swap in a weekend. I might try a different cam down the road just to see the difference between them. An other bonus for running the aftermarket cam is you get a lobe for a 12valver lift (mechanical) pump. Ported head is another nice addition to the cam. If you install everything as a package, you should feel the difference between a stock engine and modified engine.