HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Radiator Drain Plug Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radiator Drain Plug Issue

So I am putting some more go fast goodies on the truck, some of which require the radiator to be drained a bit. I turned the drain plug 1/4 turn counter clock wise, and coolant comes out the pipe in the bottom and from around what I would call the valve body.

I couldn't get the valve to reseat or shut off. With the radiator now completely drained, I can't get the valve to do much of anything but spin round and round. My field service manual has been no help, and I went to the dealership. They ordered a new valve for me, and said it may help. The valve that they got for me ran $5, and a new radiator from them lists for $589!

Any clues on the drain plug please?? How does this get replaced, and can it be done with the radiator on the truck?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Matt
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 AM

Try pushing in on the valve when you turn it. Thats the way mine is. Pull out and turn counterclock wise. Push in and turn clockwise
Bob H
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM

I have the same year truck and mine also needed to be pushed in to get it started.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM

How hard are you all pushing the plug in? I tried but didn't get it to work.

Thanks for the information!!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

push HARD. when i did mine, i couldnt get it work either, posted here, WAP said to push really hard in and turn clockwise. it worked. kinda a bugger to put back in.
next time, i'll just pull the lower hose.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to push HARD and then twist. Try squirting a little oil or WD-40 in there, sometimes the plastic really sticks and a little lube helps.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:05 PM

Good news to report - it works and is holding! I ended up pulling the plug out per some advice I got from the dealership. I inspected it, and no issues as I compared it to the new one.

Put the original back in per some instructions from Bob Weis, and all is well! If you need to pull the plug out, do so with even, firm pressure.

Thanks again everyone!!

Matt
Old 07-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just a "for what it's worth" post

When I need to take some out of mine for some work, I use a 1/2" clear vinyl tubing and siphon it out of the radiator into a 5 gal bucket. You can see it coming with the clear tubing so you don't get it too close to the mouth! You can also push the tubing to the bottom to see if there is any crap in the radiator.

Mine won't drain out of the radiator without getting all over the frame and it drips everywhere doing it that way. With the hose, none spills so the dogs can't get into it. Nice and clean! To put it back in, I set the bucket on top of the radiator and then syphon it back into the radiator. You can pour it with a large funnel but it is simple with the tubing.
The following users liked this post:
travisneville (10-20-2018)
Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM

I had a similar problem except that the housing broke that the plug threads into. You can follow my saga by clicking on this link: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=158514

You are the third person to talk about this situation in the last couple weeks, so it must be something fairly common. My guess would be that a lot of people haven't needed to drain their radiator yet, and when they do this will become even more popular. I now carry a spare in the glovebox in case I have the problem again.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 AM

timcasbolt - this is the second time I have used the plug due to adding aftermarket goodies on the truck, otherwise I wouldn't have drained it yet. Frustrating as all get out for sure, and I am keeping the $5 plug around for any potential future issues.

paccool - certainly appreciate the information, and I honestly don't think I will be draining the radiator with the plug again!

Matt