HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

my first 94 dodge ram and i have problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first 94 dodge ram and i have problems

I bought a 94 dodge ram 12 valve diesel. when I was driving it home it died on me. I let it cool down and then it kept going for one hour. So when I investigated I figured it was the shut off solenoid because I could hear a click and then it would die, but after I replaced it, I found out that was not the problem. So when it dies and I can manage to start it up I hear a clicking sound coming from the injection pump and it starts to run rough then it makes a clicking sound again and then it runs fine. Definitely know it is not the fuel shut off solenoid as there is no movement of the shut off lever as its making the clicking sound. If I let it cool down for 2 hours it will start up and run fine for approximately an hour. If someone could give me some answers that would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lift pump might be the culprit.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM

yah that crossed my mind, Another thing would be the plunger in the pump.
I was talking to a injection shop and they were saying that there is a spring and a plunger and the plunger is spring loaded and when it releases thats the click that you here and the seals internally are expanding when it heats up so that could be somthing.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Id look into installing a fuel pressure gauge so you can keep an eye on this. You could have anything from debris in the fuel pickup to an injection pump problem. Id start with the fuel supply.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM

first thing is to check every connection to and from the batteries and starter. clean and tighten accordingly....next also upen ur relay box and check ur fuel shut-off relay...swap it with an adjacent relay that isnt doing anythign and try again....u most likely have a bad connection or bad fuel shut-off solenoid or relay...don't let your truck run after it has been shut-off...just take out the shut-off relay...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM

i have a feeling it is somthing in the pump, heating up and then breaking down. if you let it cool off away she goes again.
definitley not a electric problem with the fuel shut off as i disconected the shut off solenoid and manualy held the stop open and reved the truck up by hand, still died out.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
As a Dodge technician, I had seen the problem several times- mostly on 94 trucks. While driving along, the pump will start a chattering sound, and you will lose power until you eventually come to a stop. Restarting is hard, but after starting it will usually run fine until the chattering starts again and the problem repeats itself. Unfortunately, it is an internal injector pump fault and the repair is quite expensive. I am not sure of the specific failure within the pump as these failed units were either replaced or completely rebuilt.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM

torquefan,

you say that is a problem specific to the `94's, does it depend at all on whether one has the 160 or 175 pump? just a curious `94 owner, I don't have any such problems [knocks on wood] but still good information to have
Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Originally Posted by torquefan
As a Dodge technician, I had seen the problem several times- mostly on 94 trucks. While driving along, the pump will start a chattering sound, and you will lose power until you eventually come to a stop. Restarting is hard, but after starting it will usually run fine until the chattering starts again and the problem repeats itself. Unfortunately, it is an internal injector pump fault and the repair is quite expensive. I am not sure of the specific failure within the pump as these failed units were either replaced or completely rebuilt.

I heard the samething.Some sort of problem with the pump in the first two year production(94 and 95).My truck was shutting down at highway speeds.Did all the tests and landed up ordering a IP.I'm still waiting for the pump.....
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Sounds like you have a injection pump problem. If a plunger is hanging up it will not delivery fuel to that cylinder causing to run rough. The clicking noise may be a injection pump tappet since its possible the pluger is sticking up and the tappet is just bouncing around. There is a plunger return spring that is supposed to keep the tappet running on the pump camshaft. If a plunger is stuck up there is no tension on the tappet. Once it cools of the plunger will free up and the spring will force it back down.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TRoss
torquefan,

you say that is a problem specific to the `94's, does it depend at all on whether one has the 160 or 175 pump? just a curious `94 owner, I don't have any such problems [knocks on wood] but still good information to have
I don't recall which pump it was, or if it was just one of them. Just too darned long ago.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Call Jim Jessup and tell him your problem,, he will know more than likly what it is.. 812-873-7618

good luck