HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help w/ powerstroke (shutting off after start)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ powerstroke (shutting off after start)

Yes I know most people here are CTD owners, but any diesel mechanic may be able to help me out.

First, truck is a 95 powerstroke diesel, auto, 180,000miles that my cousin purchased 2 weeks ago. Still figuring out the bugs.

While on a short trip to home from 1/4 mile away, right as he entered his neighborhood, the battery light came on and the truck shut off. Then when attempting to restart the truck will fire up but then the battery light will come on and the truck shuts off. So I told him to hold the throttle to the floor when he started which he then held to half throttle and was able to keep the truck on for about 5-10 seconds, and drive closer to his house while riding the brake. Then when he let off to an idle it immediately died with the battery light coming on.

We are thinking that the alternator is the problem, he felt it and said it was really hott. His biggest problem is getting to his next shift at 4am tom.

If not an alternator, I would think fuel related because we noticed a small leak when not running(thats why i wanted him to hold the throttle to see if it would run longer or not), if that would be causing the problem.

If anyone could give some suggestions on things to test or try, or if you need more info. I will try to fill in what i know.
Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Thumbs up

I have a 96 and it did this sometimes. It was the cam position sensor. Cheap fix.

Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Maybe change out the CPS just to see, it is a $27 part that has had a recall issued anyway. It has been linked to many issues with the trucks, random dying, stalling, no starts, etc. If you get this done let us know the results, could be many things, CPS is just the easiest... i had the CPS fail in my old 95 and it sputtered and died on the highway. after a little cranking I got it started (amzingly enough since most say when it goes sometimes you'll never get it restarted), and ran it back to the house where I changed it out.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely the Cam Position Sensor. Buy 2 and keep one in the glove box. It will happen again
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM

With my Powerstrokes, I always carry a spare CPS and a 10 MM wrench in the glove box. Quick roadside fix if the CPS goes out, but supposedly the new CPS (blue one) fixes the issue? We'll see.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
alwaysonDTR

also fix the leak and charge the battery, if the alt is getting that hot its trying to charge a completly dead batt. and if run like this it could burn up the alt or the regulator is bad
Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 PM

And it only takes one of the two batteries being bad to run the truck's power down. I'd pull them and get a load test on them to find out if one of them is bad. Costco carries 950 CCA batteries for the strokers for $55.00 a piece for Costco members ($60 and $5 back for battery core turn in). By far the lowest price I could find, come with a 84 month warranty if I remember correctly...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the help, my cousin decided that since i wasn't goin to be able to help him over the weekend, that he would take it to a dealer. I have emailed everyone's idea's and he is gonna call me if the dealer comes up with something different. Thanks again, and I will update when I hear more.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 AM

Most likely CPS but do a quick check on the oil level as it will shut down if it has low oil.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Ok well the dealer finally gave him the ugly news.

He ended up having the injector pressure regulator short out.

That was caused by the sensor above it(some thing to do with fuel pres.??) having a pin hole fuel leak, which wore away the coating and shorted out.

Then they told him the weep hole on the fuel pump was leaking which they said "usually means that the bearings are almost worn out."

So i told him to fix the IPR to get it running again --$720ish with labor-diagnostic-part. Then get the other sensor next paycheck, which they told him was easy to change and do it ourselves. For the fuel pump I told him not to worrry about it since it is stock and I didn't think that he would be starving it.

Does anyone have any info on the fuel pumps?????
Like-----how hard to change, weep hole story correct about being worn out.
The price was like 500ish, are they talking about a lift pump or an injector pump seemed awful cheap considering what ours cost.

Thanks guys to bad it wasn't the nice cheap fix.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Well, Fords are a little different from the Cummins. They use a HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) which is used for the fuel pressure (each injector is it's own injector pump. Hence the price for a set of Ford injectors is so high. Retail for the dealer will be almost $600 per injector, you can get the for half the price at an international truck store. The fuel pump on his may be a mechanical pump, located on the backside of the motor. If he gets the chance, tell him to check the prices they are giving him for parts versus the international truck store. Normally Ford has a significant mark up on their parts. IPR was my next guess if he replaced the CPS and it didn't work. Be careful as if the fuel pump goes, it can damage the injectors, which becomes way more expensive (from personal experience...)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 PM

ive had many a powerstroke, and id bet that its a CPS. As for as the fuel leak they all do it.lol Check the water in fuel sensor on the front of the filter bowl, or the drain valve.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM

The fuel pump is mechanical and runs of the cam lobe on the back of the engine. Make sure you get the fuel pump replaced asap as fuel starvation can cause injector scoring issues. It is pretty simple replacement of the pump once you get the turbo and fuel filter can out of the way. Just make sure the cam is on the base circle when you install the new pump to make it easier to get the pump installed.