ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Drag Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats one clean and easy install. To bad there are no external gates. If you to add the use of an IC, it would make it abit more busy. Personally, the typical S595(or 510-95), is too big for 1200-1300 HP. I think that we will have to adjust the set-up as its design to run on a big waukesha. The housing and turbine disk is very large and unless you have enough mass flow, the turbo will not light up fully. I would like to use a more efficent turbine disk than typical. If you look at the differences between a HX-35 disk to a newer design turbine disk (GT series), there are more blade surface area and curves to gather more of the energy from the exhaust (turbine guys call it buckets). Might have to mix and match stuff up to get the right combo.

The chassis dyno are fussy devices and sometimes its hard to get decent repeatable test data off. Next issue is the transmssion slipping and converter. I would rather save them for the track. An engine dyno, you are just testing the engine and when you use the same dyno, you can make pretty good progress.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

That just might be tooo big
Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Mike, think 14 - 1500 HP
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM

So, Mike are you thinking more on a 66 over a s485 type of thing then?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM

for 1500hp on #2 it is going to take about 180lbs/min.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM

that will be with some squeeze
Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
The Guru

I have to work the S500 series catalog some. The standard S595 turbine housing is too big, the compressor is pretty big as well but I have to see the maps and see where the stall margin is. Its expensive to do this twice. too bad we don't have any baseline data. We would have to see on a few runs where the turbo is operating at to start with. If you get a turbo that starts to work at the last 50-100ft, its gonna hinder the first 1000 feet of your run. We only have a 5.9L-6.7L for exhaust mass flow, I have to see how big that the waukesha was. Of course all the extra fuel/nos helps, but it would be nice to get it matched it up right. I think that the K-31/1.01 will work decent, the secert to getting the S510 to work is using few external gates plus the K-31 internal. Testing would determine the actual size, open pressures and spring pressures. I have a local shop interest in helping so that we can bug to get this fine tuned. There are lots of different combos in the S500 line-up, so there are options. I was shooting for 1200 to 1300 hp on fuel, adding NOS, you don't need a larger turbo, NOS is an oxidzer. If anything you could go slightly small on the turbos, but then theres the look of those big turbos
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM

For sake of keeping the motor together. My opinion is: Use the spray to spool big turbo's and a very small amount to help cool the charge. Similar to what Rich Buckley is doing in his 2wd half ton. It only picks up ~ 1mph on the spray.

I think this will give the highest avg cylinder pressures, and hopefully the lowest peak cylinder pressures.

I fully agree with Mike in that there are a big number of turbo options, and getting the right one is paramount, as well tuning them will take some work.

This is one of the big reasons people are moving to triples, is that you can run two different exhaust housings, as well as a few other tricks to give a broader range.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM

So Mike, is that local shop wanting to do some sponsorship?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
The Guru

They where looking to find a test stand for turbochargers, I'll ask about sponsorship. I think once they see what we have done/doing it might be easier to get some help. I was trying to get them to build a pulling tractor but that fell on deaf ears last year. They have done a few race cars in the past and just about everyone there owns a diesel. Saying that I was also told that they don't want to get into the business of supplying turbos for diesel trucks. They primarily want to service the oil/gas business, but of course right now there is no oil/gas business going on, so I can try again. Of course none of oil/gas guys ever drive diesel trucks or hi-perf a diesel. The only reason that they talk to me is that they had an issue with a turbo for engine for Encanna last year. I did about $10k of sales last year for them as well, but thats small pocket change.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
On my 40min commute in this morning, I was thinking about spraying nitrous before the intercooler, and why race trucks don't run an air to air intercooler.

Now I have no real data so this may not even be relevant, but what if the nitrous is cooling the air charge below ambient, so when it flows through the intercooler it is actually being heated? As an air to air exchanger can only cool to the ambient out side temp.
By adding it before the aftercooler, the nitrous may be heated by ambient, which would help it become fully gaseous. If you ran two stages, with no aftercooler, the air might be so cold by the time it reaches the second stage it hasn't completely changed into gas form. Remember, the 'ideal' intake air temp for a diesel is around 70-90F. Too cold is just as bad as too hot.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
By adding it before the aftercooler, the nitrous may be heated by ambient, which would help it become fully gaseous. If you ran two stages, with no aftercooler, the air might be so cold by the time it reaches the second stage it hasn't completely changed into gas form. Remember, the 'ideal' intake air temp for a diesel is around 70-90F. Too cold is just as bad as too hot.
Now that I had not considered.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM

See this is why I like to listen to lots of people, eventually all the ideas come out!!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
Here are a couple of pics I found of an S595 over an S471, so about the same size frame of turbo's as you are going to run.

Isn't that a 510 on there? That was the setup I was referring to in one of my earlier posts, rediculously short hot pipe, and instead of having that long interstage pipe, you could run some sort of intercooler.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

That one there they have a ice to air IC in the cab. I would just turn that puppy around and pipe it into my IC and bobs your uncle,, push the exhaust through the hood and good to go

Quick Reply: Drag Wars