3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Destroyed my Headliner Clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Destroyed my Headliner Clips

I was wondering if there was a better desciption on how to remove the sunvisor and coat rack clips. I did a search and they said to pull the back part down and then remove the clip, and this is what it also said in my service manual with a generic picture, but I still had to destroy the clips to get them out.

When prying the back part down I could get it to come down about a 1/8" of and inch on the bottom of the clip. Then it would not budge. After destroing one to remove it I notice there were two clips that hold the back cover on. I also noticed another black plastic piece that seems to hold the clips up to the headliner. Does anybody have trick to these clips? Or do you just hang like a gorillia on them ?

I will try to get a few pictures of them.

Shawn
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM

When I pulled mine out, when I installed my cab lights, I thought I was going to tear something up. Never messed up the clips though.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Photos of destroyed clips

Here are some shots of my clips
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed my Headliner Clips-passclip.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-driversclip2.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-driversclip.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM

As you can see in the third picture the plastic clip/catch for the back is visiable, but not accessable since the tab goies towards the roof of the cab. Instead of pointing towards the floor.

I was just wondering if after I lowered the back side a little bit.
Was I then supposed to pull down on the whole unit?
Or, was I to remove the back piece before pulling down? This is what I thought and assumed from the looking at the clips and the vague description in the 2005 Service Manual under "sun visor support'.

T-boe, did you have to remove the back cover before your clips come down or did you pry the cover loose a little bit and then pulled them down?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Man I feel like a dufus.

Man I feel like a dufus.

I just can not believe I am the only one that has had problems with these clips.

Made a trip to the local dealership's parts department today and order some new clips. The new clips will cost around US-$5.00 for two of them. The clips were priced here at US-$2.10 each before taxes. I also check online at NewDodgeparts.com and they were about US-$1.40 before shipping and taxes.

While there I asked about the clips and the service write tried to tell me they were screwed on. After destroing them I did not find any screws. He even told me to bring the truck in and he will install them. I think I will pass.

I will try to get some more pictures of the new clips and the install when I get them from the parts department. They said Wednesday. I am thinking two weeks.

Shawn
Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 PM

I just pulled on mine and they came off without hurting them. You just have to be real careful.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 AM

The new clips are here!

Originally Posted by t-boe
I just pulled on mine and they came off without hurting them. You just have to be real careful.
Thanks for the reply t-boe.

Did you separate the clips completely before pulling them completely out?

The local dealer actually came through on time. I will go down tommorow and pick them up. Hopefully, they will fit.

Shawn
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM

I didnt' completely seperate them. Thought about it. They're a real pain if your unsure how they come off.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Picked up my clips today.

I started playing around with them and noticed they do not separate, but click two times. Then it hit me. I now know how they work.

For those who have been following this thread here's how to remove your sunvisor clips. (Correct me if I am wrong t-boe)

1. Use a trim stick or flat screw driver to pull back cover down from main body of clip.
2. Grip sides of back cover of clip and pull straight down till you hear two clicks or cover stops completely. (This is where I thought they came apart.)
3-A. You can either continue to pull down on clip till it comes free from cab roof and headliner.

3-B. Or, you continue to remove the six (6) sun visor screws, two (2) over head console screws, and the four (4) A-piller bolts. Next, gentlly fish a hand up between the headliner and the front window at the clip locations. Using your other free hand pull down on the clip and the headliner with your other hand at the same time. This should leave the clips attach to the headliner, but allow the headliner to be release from the cab roof with out damaged.

*** Please Note, this has not been proven effective yet.***

However, I will try it. I will then post some pictures and comment about how it works, but I will have to wait for the weekend and nice weather.

Shawn
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Sounds about right to me.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Beginning of Step 3B for removal Part I

I finally got a chance to resize my photos. I have added some captions to help explain what is going on in the photo. The first few photos are a few more shots of my destroyed Sunvisor Clips. The others photos in this post is a view of a complete Sunvisor Clip assembly.

Hope these and the following photos help other members who wish to remove the Headliners for Cab lights or Rear Seat DVD Players.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed my Headliner Clips-brokenfloor.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-brokenfloor2.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-clip-inforamtion.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-newinstalled-copy.jpg  

Last edited by CatDiesel_762; 03-29-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added a Photo.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Step 3B Part II

After replacing the Sunvisor Support Clips I decided to try and demonstrate how not to do what I did when I destroyed my clips. By providing a better removal instruction than saying just pull them straight down.

Please note: I did leave the Sunvisor and A-pillars in place since I did not want to completely lower the Headliner. So removal of those items will be neccessary if lowering the Headliner for an Accessory Installation (Cab Lights etc..).

To Remove the Sunvisor Support Clip you should begin by:
1. Use a trim stick or flat screw driver to pry down the back cover from main body of the Sunvisor Support Clip.
2. (1st Photo) Grip sides of back cover of clip and pull straight down till you hear two clicks or cover stops completely. (This is where I thought they came apart and destroyed my clips.)
You now must choose weather you want to completly remove your clips or leave them installed on the Headliner.
3-A. You can either continue to pull down on clip till it comes free from cab roof and headliner.

or

3-B. Gentlly fish a few fingers up between the headliner and the front window at the clip locations. Using your other free hand pull down on the clip and the headliner with your fingers at the same time. This should leave the clips attach to the headliner, but allow the headliner to be release from the cab roof with out damaged. Use the photos below to see how I did this.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed my Headliner Clips-testremoval1.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-testremoval.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-testremoval2-copy.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-finalclip.jpg   Destroyed my Headliner Clips-finaltest.jpg  

Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Luvnacumns should post this with his cab light install write up. The clips were the biggest pain if your not sure how to remove them.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 PM

If it helps Luvnacumns write up, I do not see why not. I also think we should put these photos in the 3rd Gen Technical Photo Gallery. I am sure they will help a lot of members out.

Shawn
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 PM

For those that need a new Sunvisor Support Clip here is the part number:

1-1DC48TL2AA Mopar Sunvisor Support Clip

Shawn