3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone tried Herculiner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried Herculiner?

I may decide to do something to protect the bed of my truck. I've never heard much to entice me into a hard shell liner, mat might be ok, maybe a bed rug? I really do like the look of the spray-in's but unfortunatly the budget isn't going to support that. Got more elbow grease than cash, i sure you'all can relate, so I was considering Herculiner. Seems to get good reviews in the media so long as the prep is right. I was hoping to find someone who has used it. I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself, but I don't want to throw away my money either. I appreciate the info I get here and look forward to your replies.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 PM

Save your money!

Have the pros install a spray in bedliner.

I tride the do it yourself bedline on my ATV racks and it was a pain in the XXX
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM

i have used it, there is a reason it is so much cheaper than a sprayed in. once u put it in and it starts to scratch off it will cost twice as much to get a spray in. they will have to remove all the herculiner. it does work good on frames for rust protection.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM

I kinda figured it wouldn't be an easy task, the work doesn't phase me but I doen't want to throw away money on something that won't hold up. The media reports seem to say it works good but those are usually only first reports not long term use and abuse things. thats why I'm here listening. Anybody ever hear of Grizzly Grip? Same Idea different company.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 PM

I removed the carpet in my old truck and used herculiner. It look good until it started to peal off and I thought I did a good prep job. So if I was you I would save your money.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:02 PM

I am with the other guys, save your money, and get a real spray on liner.
I did Herculiner on my old truck, and it started to peel, and I prepped the surface like they said, so I wasnt happy
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 PM

I had it in my last truck and it was ok, but did peel pretty easy. A buddy helped me sand the bed and he used an undercoating spray gun after taping it off good. When my kids rode in the back of the truck at the farm they would get out with black rubbed of all over them. Like others said, might be better to save up for a better one.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Depending on how long you plan on keeping your truck, consider how long Line-X lasts compared to the initial cost, that stuff is an investment.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Save your money and your time.
Having the pros do it should only take a day or overnight. The results will be better than what you or I could do in a weekend even if we both worked on it together. Then if it fails, you cam use the warranty to cover the cost of the repair. Saving you even more money.

So save your money for Line-X. From what I understand the US Military uses this and tested the spray on liner as a reinforcement on walls, buildings, and on armor blast plates on various vehicles for blast protection in the war zone. Such as on the Abrams A-1Tank. Do take my word for it check out their web site (www.Line-X.com). Not to metion their warranty is reconized nationally and one of the best in the industry.

And No, I do not work for Line-X or a dealer that installs them. I am just a proud customer. My father In-law had couple of the no-name brand liners installed on a few of his trucks and they just did not hold up as well as my Line-X bed liner. One even smelled like strawberries .

Shawn
Old 03-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Thumbs down

Another vote here to save your money on the Herculiner and go for pro spray in, me and a friend of mine was going to do it on our trucks a few years back, luckily for me the friend done his first and prep'd it the way instructions said and it was no time before it started peeling off.

Tony
Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 AM

Herculiner is great for spraying the inside of a jeep to make it water resistant but sucks for bedliner.... 9th vote for "save your money"
Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Ok so tell me what you really think. Thanks your answers leave no question, just glad I thought to ask instead of doin something dumb. Only one thing worse than spending more than you told the banker(aka wife) spending what you said than having to go back cause you were wrong about something. She did by me the truck so I'll just tell her I want the best for her investment.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:39 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by woj64
Ok so tell me what you really think. Thanks your answers leave no question, just glad I thought to ask instead of doin something dumb. Only one thing worse than spending more than you told the banker(aka wife) spending what you said than having to go back cause you were wrong about something. She did by me the truck so I'll just tell her I want the best for her investment.
woj64

I would love to have a spray in liner myself like "Line X", but for what I haul it is not a necessity. More than likely a good quality bed mat will work just fine for me. Good luck with the banker, I refer to mine as the "warden".

Tony
Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Herculiner is just as good as the prep work you do to get ready for the application. I've heard a hundred stories of it peeling off,to that I say should have done better prep work. I've used it and had no trouble what so ever.If you buy the kit they give you a red pad to scratch or ruff up tyhe surface you are going to coat. Instead of using that I bought a very simular pad for my electric drill. I only used the provided pad for places I couldn't get to with the drill. Take your time here this is a very important step. But it's much faster and easier using the pad on your drill. Next clean the surface they tell you in the kit what to use,once again take your time and do a good job. lastly when appling the Herculiner it's self I bought on of those paint mixers for my electric drill. this is important because the chips in the herculiner settle to the bottom quickly. You need to stir the buckit prior to every time you take Herculiner out of the can. Do a good prep job and it will look good and last a long time.