3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Herculiner on chrome bumpers??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Herculiner on chrome bumpers??

Anyone put Herculiner DIY bed liner on chrome bumpers?? I think I am going to try it this weekend. Going for more black and that is the cheapest way I see for now.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seen a few bumpers in Line-X and they look good. However when talking about bed liners anyone who used the knockoff DIY stuff it didn't last to long and they ended up Line-X it later.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Yea I know the potential problems with the DYI, but for now I want to do it and don't have the money to take to get professionally done. I need to take the back bumper off anyway to straighten out a minor bobo I administered. Probably cut some holes for new backup lights, etc. and while its off go ahead and try the Herculiner on it.

Just wondered if anyone has specifically done it to their bumpers.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Chrome Bumpers

If you are going to put the Herculiner on the chrome parts make sure that you scuff it really good. If it were me I would try and hit them with a grinder with a backer pad and sanding disks. That is what we used on my horse trailer and it has been on many dirt roads since and still lookes great.

Hope that helps
Dave
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick2001
If you are going to put the Herculiner on the chrome parts make sure that you scuff it really good. If it were me I would try and hit them with a grinder with a backer pad and sanding disks. That is what we used on my horse trailer and it has been on many dirt roads since and still lookes great.

Hope that helps
Dave

Yea I will make sure that I scruff them up good. I do have a grinder and some sand pads for it. I am thinking with good prep and application that it should work ok. I am going for it anyway. I'll post some pics and comments after I am done with the rear. How that goes will determine the front or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
Yea I will make sure that I scruff them up good. I do have a grinder and some sand pads for it. I am thinking with good prep and application that it should work ok. I am going for it anyway. I'll post some pics and comments after I am done with the rear. How that goes will determine the front or not.

We just did the rocker panels, fender flares and rear bumper on my brothers black 2001 sport so no chrome to worry about but it turned out pretty sweet. If you want I can post a picture tomorrow. Also make sure you use the xylene or it won't cure right and make sure you don't get it on you or in your eyes I got a tiny drop in my eye and had to go to a redi-care to have it flushed out. Felt like they were cleaning it out with a fire extinguisher
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

We just did the rocker panels, fender flares and rear bumper on my brothers black 2001 sport so no chrome to worry about but it turned out pretty sweet. If you want I can post a picture tomorrow. Also make sure you use the xylene or it won't cure right and make sure you don't get it on you or in your eyes I got a tiny drop in my eye and had to go to a redi-care to have it flushed out. Felt like they were cleaning it out with a fire extinguisher
Based on my past experiences with paint and such I am sure I will have it on many things not intended.

I will wear my safety glasses, face shield, elbow length toxic proof gloves, old long sleeve shirt, disploable jeans and knee length waders. Proabably have to replace most of it when I'm done.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM

We've used on my bro's truck, my horse trailer, and this weekend I am going to do a hayrack for the horsetrailer. So I have some carhartt pants a sweatshirt and a pair of boots deticated to hurculining things it gets everywhere

This has been brought up several times but speaking of getting it everywhere if you want a good "laughter is the best medicine" chuckle try googling "hootus" I about died when I read it
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM

We've used on my bro's truck, my horse trailer, and this weekend I am going to do a hayrack for the horsetrailer. So I have some carhartt pants a sweatshirt and a pair of boots deticated to hurculining things it gets everywhere

This has been brought up several times but speaking of getting it everywhere if you want a good "laughter is the best medicine" chuckle try googling "hootus" I about died when I read it
, I had to close my office door, just got the vision from the first line and couldn't stop laughing. Uh, but now I have more to worry about.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM

I read it at work and had to go outside I was laughing so hard

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
, I had to close my office door, just got the vision from the first line and couldn't stop laughing. Uh, but now I have more to worry about.
They should put in the Manual: Please do not drink any liquids prior to Hurculining your vehicle.

Dave
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a consideration. The PO of my truck did the top of the tailgate with the DIY herculiner (about 6 coats ). It fades very quickly. The part covered by the camper shell lid is still shiny, the part exposed to UV light all day is flat dull (probably in less than 6 months).
Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 AM

UV Protectant

Herculiner does have a UV protectant that you can buy but I don't know how well it works. But for 20 bucks its worth a shot.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Herculiner does have a UV protectant that you can buy but I don't know how well it works. But for 20 bucks its worth a shot.
I will use my normal Aerospace 303 prtotectant. Seems to work well on anything non metal exposed to the sun. It would bring my 4 year old spray in back to looking like new every time. I use it when it looks like it needs it or every six months or so.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Rear Bumper Done PIA

Well chrome bumpers are not the easiest thing to scruff up. Wound up using my DeWalt grinder and took an hour plus of steady use. Still not sure if it will hold up. It was a major pain. Herculiner is definitely messy black stuff. Managed not to get any on privates. Only a few rags, towels, paint brush, gloves wound up in the trash. The small spot on the driveway should wear off in a year or so.

I did the Herculiner on the rear bumper in a continuing effort to cheaply change the truck look. Going for more black. I was also tired of looking at the ding in the bumper I added the night of hurricane IKE. I did get the bumper ding out pretty good.

Now I have to decide if it looks good enough to do the front bumper. Not sure I have the will power to go through that again. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it holds up.

I did learn that I probably would have been better off using just the brush and not the roller. Live and learn.

This was truck look a few months ago.

I added this bobo.

Bumper prepped.

First Herculiner coat applied.

New look from the rear today. Truck is filthy.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

That looks good! I would paint your flapper with some bbq paint.

Quick Reply: Herculiner on chrome bumpers??