3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Emmisions time

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
MVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emmisions time

Has anyone ever had an opacity test with the calif. Delete. If so do you know what the % were after the test ? In colo. The limit before fail is 35% my truck is at 4% as i had to change back to stock before the test and put the crap back on. As i'm getting old and fat i'm trying to accuire a dpf/nox to gut to pass the visual and since there is such a large percentage difference i wondering if i set the smarty at 1/2 power setting if it will still pass ?? As a stealth system. I think theres a good chance it might... Does anyone have any input they could share with me on the possabilites ??? Maybe mr. Blake or somebody thats been around the block more than myself. If this is possable does any one out there have a gutted dpf /nox there not using i would like to purchase ? I could care less about the precious metals just need the shells to possably pass a visual insp.many good people on this site that have helped me in the past more than any other so this is my go-to place...
Thanks for any help both past and present.

Mvm
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
They tested my deleted truck and it passed just fine... It failed on visual as you are speaking to here. Had to bolt it on, 1 minute visual test, and done, bolt it off. What a joke. Sounds like a decent way to go to get around the stupid visual inspection...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
MVM

Emmisions time

Thanks mega for the info ! When i re-installed the crap i forgot to look at the nox filter i wonder if it,s not a straight thruogh shot like the muffler or if it needs to be gutted like the dpf ??? Any body else have any insights ? Please chime in as this just might be something really cool if it works ! Seems like a win/win situation for many of us who love there trucks and are tired of the immisions bs every coulple of years or worse every year in some states !!!

As always gents thanks...

BY THE WAY MEGA YOU DON'T HAPPEN TO HAVE THE % OF YOUR TEST AND WHAT THE FAIL % IS IN SO-CAL . WOULD BE NICE TO RUN SOME #'S POSSABLY FIGURE OUT IF THE SMARTY CAN BE RUN ON SOME OF THE LOWER TUNES INSTEAD OF HALF POWER AND STILL PASS ???

Last edited by MVM; 05-04-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM
"California Style"

I am not sure about the NOX, but I don't think it is a straight through design. It would probably need to be gutted. Ideally, I would like to have a gutted "stock" system and not have to ever do any bolting/unbolting, and also have my good NOX/DPF on the shelf just in case for testing, or for selling the truck, etc.

I think the opacity threshold level her in CA is 40%. I do not know the numbers from my test, but the guy said it was not even near this and my tune is so very clean that I never see smoke. I run and was tested on the SW3 setting which is 60HP I believe. It is clean...

What kills me is that they failed it because they said it was missing the CAT, which was ON THE TRUCK. There is not a place on their visual inspection form for a missing NOX/DPF, even. I argued this technicality to no avail.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
"California Style"

Take a look at opacity %'s for CA:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/hdvip/hdvip_pamphlet.pdf
Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 PM
MVM

Emmisions

Ideally thats exactly what i would like also. My existing dpf/nox are fine however i don't want to gut them. For nothing else than somday i might sell it...and working ones are mighty expensive. Hope sombody else chimes in surley one would think someone has already thought of this ??? Or a good welder should be able to fabricate a look-a-like dummy system .all they do here is slide a mirror on wheels under and look for all of about 1 second.

Thanks again mvm
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would imagine that with the Smarty on the half tune you would be just fine.

Look at the consequences. Put stuff back on to pass test. Or. Try to test deleted, if pass. No worries, if fail, put stuff back on to test. Id choose door number two myself.

I think you would be ok.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
MVM

Thanks for the input looks like i'll be looking for a good welder as there seems to not be anybody who has a dead nox/dpf to purchase...anyway when i get this done i'll keep everybody posted...
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Sorry to jump in but this may help those in NJ. I went to the Inspection Station yesterday and was waved off and told our trucks are now "self inspect". That pretty amazing for this State. I guess you can do the deletes and never have to worry about inspections.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Just a thought, but since the DPF and NoX are candidates for replacement due to clogging, have you checked with any dealerships for 'bad' filters they have removed?
On a side note, here in Central Texas, they are doing visual inspections for 'mufflers' on the newer trucks....glad I left my stock muffler in place when all the other stuff fell off!