24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

how to pass an emmisions test ????

Old 01-15-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation how to pass an emmisions test ????

Can you pass an emmisions test with straight pipe?

What makes a diesel fail one?

I am talking about the tests that some states have the hooks up to the exhaust. Texas does not test Diesels as of today, but they will before too long.

I was wondering how to pass one and still have a loud, bombed truck???
Old 01-15-2004, 12:00 PM

I live in Hebron, Ky... thats just south of Cincinnati, Oh for those not in the know. Here they do test diesels, every two years. It is merely an opacity test at idle. No worries about hydrocarbons or what not like the gassers. My truck is stock, so naturally it passed with flying colors, but even with some mods, as long as you're not smoking too much at idle, you're OK.
There are noise requirments for anything one-ton and up though too. Mine is a 2500, so I don't know much about those laws.
Thats our laws though, don;t know what Tx has in the works. If it were me, I'd wait to see if/when they start testing diesels, and what the requirements are.

I have a Camaro too, that *most* of the time is not equipped with a catalytic converter. There's a little red headed boy that installs one the day before the test, and removes it the day after. Can't figure it out.
-Dave
Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 PM

When they test your exhaust they are testing for the amount of toxins. If you have removed your resinator I am not sure if you will pass. As far as I know this is the only thing on a diesel that will take things out of the exhaust. The resinator is like a cat. on a gas engine. dave
Old 01-15-2004, 05:44 PM

I live just outside of Denver and have to have this test done every year. I put most of my upgrdes in my truck last spring, so when I had the test done at the beginning of Jan. this year I asked how bad the results were and the guy told me there were no problems at all, but at 40mph it started to get a little rich. Not sure what he ment, I have no idea what gear he was in or what the boost was. I did notice that when I drove away my Comp box was turned off.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Here in Utah we have it done each year too. Its an opacity test done at 30% and at WOT in gear on rollers. I usually turn off my Comp but the #'s are so low I think I could pass it with it on 5x5. I just hope they don't tighten up on it.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:50 PM

Your muffler and resonator do nothing for exhaust-gas cleansing - I wouldn't worry about it - people run into problems with cars and the removal of catalytic convertors because a cat chemically treats the exhast gas (in simple terms) - removing it defeats that portion of the emissions system and causes a problem with tail pipe emissions.... you don't have a cat, so don't sweat it...
Old 01-17-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what effect running a tank of Bio would have on the truck if it is marginal to pass a test.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:13 AM

Had a straight pipe on the old ford and passed emissions with no problem in Ohio. When it came time for a new exhaust I didn't think the muffler was worth the extra 65 bucks. Sounded great.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by ceyl
I live just outside of Denver and have to have this test done every year. I put most of my upgrdes in my truck last spring, so when I had the test done at the beginning of Jan. this year I asked how bad the results were and the guy told me there were no problems at all, but at 40mph it started to get a little rich. Not sure what he ment, I have no idea what gear he was in or what the boost was. I did notice that when I drove away my Comp box was turned off.
does the guy actually drive the truck on the road??if so....not sure how comfortable i would be with letting some stranger in my rig
Old 01-18-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here they put them on rollers like a Dyno kinda setup.

No worries, they have to be rambling wrecks to fail!!!!

We had an old 8.2l Detroit time- bomb it was usually surrounded in a blue haze (especially at cold startup) but used to always pass the e-test