3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thoughts on puttin a tranny together

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on puttin a tranny together

I have been chewing on this for quite a while and just wanna hear some other peoples thoughts.

I have been looking at just having a well known shop HTS GEORAND ULTIMATE ATS do my tranny either replace or build mine up, but i have a new thing i came up with such as buying the peices i need and having a local certified shop put her together.
Here is what i would need...Billet Input and Output VB Triple Disc TC laminated flywheel like to put in a new 1, 2 shift lever.

Any thoughts anyone build their tranny this way?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM

bump.. i am wondering the same thing 6thou is a little much for my pocket being 21 and all
Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't see that being a problem, as long as you have a reputable installer.
I would however you the same manuf. for all the parts, not mix and match.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM

See the other 500 posts on this. Here is the deal....The installer is just as important as the parts you are spending your dollars on. If you want to hire Bills Auto's to do your trans and he is just another mechanic that says "Yea I know the 48RE...yuck yuck" then go ahead and find yourself some plastic parts to put in there. However, I know of quite a few reputable people on here that will build you a 600+ HP trans that will outlast the life of the truck.

Quality is Like Buying Oats…
If you want good, clean oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse…well, they are a little cheaper.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Griffy--- im with the six is pretty spendy for me as well.
Lrdchaos---- i agree with using the same parts, do you just have the valvebody or the whole tranny?
ShakinredCTD----Id like you to know that i did search the forums for people pieceing their trannys together and didnt find any. Im thankful that you attached the already existing 500 posts on this subject of "peicing a tranny together"
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
No issues with my DTT. I think the main thing with picking a trans is finding a builder close that has a great reputation. Lets face it parts fail from time to time no matter whos they are. But when they fail how fast can you get the problem diagnosed and fixed? That to me is the key. I dont want to have to pull the whole trans and ship it cross country, and wait for a decision on what it needs. I would rather have someone close that will get me back up and running quick.
Originally Posted by Timinva
I try to stay out of tranny threads mostly but I will try to put my 2 cents into this one. DTT is a custom built tranny, always has been. If you do not fill out a profile sheet for your build something is wrong. Fact is there is someone out there who can break anything built. I have upgraded or rebuilt most every major brand out there, hts and opies being the exception so far but if you think they cant fail your wrong. There are literally thousands of Dtt trannys out there a very very high percentage do exactly what they were built for everyday no problems , but being human there will be problems sometimes. So as many have said your installer is very important and should be your first link to the manufactor. I feel and have shown a properly built DTT can hold any truck out there. As far as price I can be competitive with any one out there for the same build. Tim
Originally Posted by HOV
Having seen my own DTT build, I know they leave no stone unturned. They don't just bolt you on a TC, a VB, a piston, and accumulator, a band, etc. They completely re-work the transmission with meticulous attention to detail. The DTT master build kit has a lot of gaskets and seals that are subtly different from stock but designed for much better fluid management and longevity. I also like the fact that 6-clutch packs are installed (in the place of stock 5-clutch packs) for the standard build; I know other builders don't do that as part of the standard build unless added on.

There's a BIG difference between a built trans and a TC/VB with maybe some billet parts thrown in. For those like me who didn't know the ins-and-outs of transmission building, I think DTT is a great choice because I would have never known what to ask for.
Originally Posted by signature600
EXACTLY!!!

Which is why I will continue to use Tim Barber at TRE Diesel, for all my diesel tranny needs.

Perfectly happy with my DTT...but even more happy with the Excellent service of Tim.

The installer/builder makes the difference!
Chris
I was not trying to be abrasive, but the same info gets passed everyday. It is ALL about the builder. I would definately pay to have my trans dropped, shipped, built, shipped and installed before I let anyone touch it. There are too many pennies placed in these to not be careful. If I could do it over again, I would pay every bit of it. As well choose a builder that is willing to sit down and tell you everything about the build, the parts and the service they provide. Ask the builder what will happen if you break it, or it ceases to function. I know my builder as well as a few others on here would help if needed...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 PM

thanks for the links shakin red i just knew some one would chime in on searching the old tranny posts and i just felt my situation is different than another already posted. and with that info you gathered i see DTT usually helps ship parts so you can have it built locally? but lil ol SD is kinda sparse on good tranny guys or ones i would trust with mine. ill pry have to take a lil road trip. thanks shakin red and sorry for being short above^
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 PM

Zach,

Being from Montana I know where you are coming from. However, Goerend is "basically" in your backyard. As well, you should be able to talk to the major dealers and they will provide/find you a quality builder nearby...