3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally getting rid of my K&N, puttin AFE in the place of it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally getting rid of my K&N, puttin AFE in the place of it.

When I first got my Cummins I had the same mindset that most people seem to have. K&N has been the filter I've used on every gas vehicle I've owned for most of my life. Well guys, I should have listened to every one of you that said K&N will let dirt into my motor. I took the filter off after about 2 or 3 months (I don't drive my truck much) and there it was, dirt in my intake tube. The filter still has no dirt on it. Cause it was all goin through the filter. I will be replacing it tomorrow with an AFE PG 7 and prefilter. I'll post again on the results on this filter. I'm expecting to get a little more smoke and less boost with the more restrictive element but it's worth it to save the life of my engine.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM

that's weird, i've had mine well over a year with no probs. it seems to be the luck of the draw with these things.

did you check the connections all of the time. i did mine every oil change just to make sure.

but even though, i think i will replace it when the time comes to clean it b/c that's what i don't trust is the cleaning process.

let us know how the new element works
Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Chapter President

I checked the connections and there was no dirt marks going through the connections. The only one that it could have been would have been where the filter meets the tube, since there was dirt just past that point. This also explains why the filter wasn't dirty. Right now I'm boosting 36-38 lbs on stock setting, and up to 42 lbs with the Quad on 100. I'll post some boost figures tomorrow. I'm gonna be taking a short interstate trip so I should be able to get full boost without a problem. There is an AFE that is just slightly smaller than the K&N so it will fit without any problems. I'll give you the part number when I get the filter.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:08 PM

alright that'd be great to get that part # and to see how big a difference it makes on the boost numbers.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Chapter President

Well I got the filter put on yesterday morning along with the prefilter. I pulled a 6X12 trailer with a ford pickup long bed on it about 20 miles. that might have weighed 1500 or 2000 lbs (the trailer is pretty heavy). I could boost 38 lbs with the quad off, and I could hit 42 lbs with the quad on 100 so there was no difference in boost. I forgot to get the part number off it. I'm at work for 24 hours so I'll post it on here tomorrow or saturday for you and I'll try to get some pics on here too...I finally found my digital camera.