3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New wastegate, Boost elbow, or plug it ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wastegate, Boost elbow, or plug it ??

I was only making 21 lbs of boost acording to my Bullydog monitor. I know analog is better but...anyway, I pinched off the tube that goes to the waste gate and am now making 28lbs. This rig is just temporary. I think my wastegate or the spring may be weak. I really don't want to fork it out for a new one and I've heard people say to save the $35 for the elbow and put a plug. As long as I monitor the pressure, which I don't think will hit 30lbs, can I get by with a plug?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are willing to monitor it. I personally prefer the wastegate because you can sure tell the difference in tension between a stock one or an aftermarket.( i could between mine) Many will tell you elbow and truthfully the adj elbows will work just fine, I just feel better that I got it out of the way. (and when i got my actuator, I had no clue of elbows and plugs or clamps).
Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're stacking a module that does boost fooling and plugs into the map sensor the outlook monitor will read incorrectly.It is seeing the altered signal of the module.I think your predator does boost fooling.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
If you're stacking a module that does boost fooling and plugs into the map sensor the outlook monitor will read incorrectly.It is seeing the altered signal of the module.I think your predator does boost fooling.

The Predator is a pressure box, I didn't think it did fooling. I think some of the other Dr. Performance modules do though. I tried a boost fooler but didn't like the results.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not 100% certain but I think it does boost fooling. If you have more than 1 aftermarket plug going to the map sensor( 1 for the outlook,1 for the predator)this would probably be why its reading low. I no longer use the tri dog but still use the outlook and mine will only read 20-24lbs when my anolog gauge is showing 44lbs..
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
I'm not 100% certain but I think it does boost fooling. If you have more than 1 aftermarket plug going to the map sensor( 1 for the outlook,1 for the predator)this would probably be why its reading low. I no longer use the tri dog but still use the outlook and mine will only read 20-24lbs when my anolog gauge is showing 44lbs..
Man, that's a big differance, I didn't think it'd bbe that much. I wonder if I take off my pressure box and read the boost then, if it's different, wouldn't that tell me? I can't even find the same box I have, Stage III 130RWHP. I bought it from a guy that had a show truck and Dr Performance was one of his sponsers so it was a special release or something.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 PM

An '03 has a mechanical wastegate, I don't think a boost fooler will do anything if he cannot get over 28 lbs of boost anyway.
You can get an adjustable elbow for $20 off of ebay. Or you can get a small brass quater turn valve from an auto parts store for $5 and install it in the hose.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 PM

I came across this article at Dr Performance, Has a lot of good info about boost pressure. Doesn't say either way about fooling, I think I'm going to email them.
http://drperformance4.rtrk.com/coupo...520Performance
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by alMout
An '03 has a mechanical wastegate, I don't think a boost fooler will do anything if he cannot get over 28 lbs of boost anyway.
You can get an adjustable elbow for $20 off of ebay. Or you can get a small brass quater turn valve from an auto parts store for $5 and install it in the hose.
I picked up an 1/8" brass plug, can I screw it into the housing in the place of the hose fitting or would it be better to plug the hose itself?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Someone Help !!!

I pulled on the hose from elbow on the Turbo housing and it came off without even having to loosen the clamp. Would that cause me to lose boost? I went on ahead and took out the elbow and installes the plug. Next I took off the hard pipe on the exit side of the turbo and checked for oil, it was dry so the bearings should be good. I reinstalled it and tightened all the clamps on the way to the intake horn. Went for a test drive and still only 21psi. Remember, I was making 28psi since I pinched off the hose a couple months ago. So, I stopped and took off my pressure box to see if it was boost fooling. I then got 23psi and I stayed in the throttle and it seemed sluggish and I noticed the EGTs at WOT wont go over 560 deg. I checked the Outlook Pyro defuel and it's set at 1250.
Whats happening here??
Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 PM

Sounds like a boost leak, look on the other side of the I.C. check those clamps well. With a 1/8 plug installed you should get all the boost your fueling and turbo has to offer. On my 99 the stock W.G. was 19 psi and thats about what it ran, with the brass plug in it ran 40 or so. My 04.5 doesnt have a threaded hole like that, it presses in? But being electronic W.G. the quad B.F. fixed me right up. Look for a leak.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by stock600
Sounds like a boost leak, look on the other side of the I.C. check those clamps well. With a 1/8 plug installed you should get all the boost your fueling and turbo has to offer. On my 99 the stock W.G. was 19 psi and thats about what it ran, with the brass plug in it ran 40 or so. My 04.5 doesnt have a threaded hole like that, it presses in? But being electronic W.G. the quad B.F. fixed me right up. Look for a leak.
No Ryan, I wish it were that easy. I think it may be time for the "AirDog". I'm pretty sure that stupid filter mounted lift pump, that should be on a recall list, is going out. Thats my luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Oh, ya maybe didnt know you had'nt already been there. Everyones going there sometime or nother! No fuel- no boost. Get the genos billet cap, slick piece, and great spot to mount a mechanical gauge or press. sending unit.